German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recommend Breeders in S. MD or N. VA Please

14K views 56 replies 25 participants last post by  Mister C 
#1 ·
Can I get any recommendations for breeders in Southern Maryland or Northern Virginia?

I unexpectedly had my dog pass this last weekend, I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and was missing him as it was.....he was lab/chow mix and I know I can't replace him but want to fill the void somewhat.....I return in 2 months and have been trying to scope out potential breeders via the net and have been reading a lot of the "Choosing Breeders" and "Choosing a pup" guides. I live in Southern Maryland and am looking for a large short hair female GSD for family companion/protection but would also like the option to do some Schutzhund training.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've already started talking to Misty Ridge Kennels in New Windsor, MD if anyone has had any experience with them.

#52 ·
Quote:Also, back to what I believe would fit my situation and wants the best: a large short hair female GSD for family companion/protection.....but would also like the option to do some Schutzhund training....however, is a dog more adapted to working going to not be as well suited as a family companion? Can a good breeder help me select a pup that will split the difference?
Depends on the bloodline. Personally,I think you would be better off with a West German showline,like the website you are looking at. Now, that being said, showlines are perfectly capable of schutzhund or anything else. I have handled them on the street and there are lots out there working for police agencies. Again, it depends on the bloodline. The problem with some working lines are they can be hard to live with. I have a Czech male that was far too much for his original owner. I love him and am finishing his narcotic detection training. BUT I love high drive hardheads. LOL All litters have those individuals that would be better suited for a companion than for work. Someone with a nice working line litter could choose for you. I have a litter due next week that I would probably never place with an inexperienced handler. Find a breeder who also TRAINS dogs. Those are the folks who can judge the pups and guide you in your selection.

#53 ·
Haus Juris in Northern VA (Nokesville). http://www.hausjuris.com

My landlady fell in love with shepherds after meeting my dogs and promptly went to this breeder. She got an impressively gorgeous and smart puppy a few months ago (a Liedo son). The breeder is very knowledgeable and involved in conformation showing and training (OB, SchH, tracking).

She has many stunning dogs--owns Liedo, who is the 2009 USA Sieger. Actually she has a couple of slightly older pups available on her website last week, they were about 12 weeks or so and I believe there were females. She had an imported longcoat male pup available that I'd sell my soul for on there also. I'd give her a call and ask about them. She also has a new litter planned.

Good luck in the search! Unfortunately we probably won't be puppy shopping for at least 4-5 years.

#57 ·
Haus Juris in Northern VA (Nokesville). Welcome to Haus Juris German Shepherd Dogs

My landlady fell in love with shepherds after meeting my dogs and promptly went to this breeder. She got an impressively gorgeous and smart puppy a few months ago (a Liedo son). The breeder is very knowledgeable and involved in conformation showing and training (OB, SchH, tracking).

She has many stunning dogs--owns Liedo, who is the 2009 USA Sieger. Actually she has a couple of slightly older pups available on her website last week, they were about 12 weeks or so and I believe there were females. She had an imported longcoat male pup available that I'd sell my soul for on there also. I'd give her a call and ask about them. She also has a new litter planned.

Good luck in the search! Unfortunately we probably won't be puppy shopping for at least 4-5 years.
+1 on Haus Juris for the reasons stated above.

I have a Charly-Gotcha pup that is 4 months old. He has a wonderful temperament, is very confident, super smart, and one handsome fella. He is showing a nice drive (food and toy) but also has a great off switch.

Of course, I am biased but I did a bunch of research before selecting Haus Juris.

Megan, the owner, and her team regularly compete, offer all kinds of training at their site and are supportive of the new owners.

I am already thinking of getting a second GSD from them but know that it is best to wait a couple of years before doing so.

Best of luck in your search,

Michael

#54 ·
I met a Haus Juris puppy in Petsmart last year, asked them when they got puppy,(12 months), they said Va. I asked if it was Haus Juris, she arched her eyebrows and said yes, how did you know. I informed her this kennel has a good reputation for nice temperament and her puppy certainly showed the same. She beamed. (Hey showline people give me my props...LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.