Which breeder to choose - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which breeder to choose

http://www.lebenshunger.com/index.html
I saw a customer with a gsd from this breeder and it was amazing. It was very friendly, it let me pet it after it smelled my hands. The owner said it is the best dog, and it goes every where with him. This breeder is in Maine. He said they are imported from Germany and he has been breeding for 15 years.Also, you put 900 dollars down before they are born then 900 after. Total is 1800. This is imported, pure 100% german

Another one which looks good, although i don't know any customers is this one. http://www.brownhillshepherds.com/ The parents are show dogs and it shows them with ribbons, they charge 1200 for a dog. This one it looks like you get more for your money. I called them up and they said this is an American gsd.

On saturday i plan on going on a 4 hour trip to Bangor,Maine. He said you can use paypal to pay the 900 before birth then 900 after or when u pick what pup u want. I believe he also ships the dog which is quite dissapointing, although the dogs seem amazing. I live near the Boston area of Massachusetts, and want a pup in July

Can you guys take a look at each of the link and tell me what you think.
Thanks
xxxalpinexxx80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Which breeder to choose

I have seen Brownhill GSD and in my opinion I don't like the looks of there hips.They might be good but I think they are too slanted and the pup I say was 6 months or a little less looked wobbly.I would check them out though they are suppose to be good dogs.I was not impressed with the owner as far as her training ways,I took her 6 week obedience class and got nothing out of it.I think it actually set us up for Athena's dog aggression due to her training methods.She only has a few litters a year too so timing may not work for you if your in a hurry.

Athena 5/4/08 http://www.dogster.com/dogs/925796
Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

allieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

IMO the first one is too large, do they work their dogs or just buy titled dogs and breed them? For me, I would go for a smaller hobby type kennel who is only breeding a litter every now and then, making sure their program is to better the breed. What are your goals for this pup, just a companion or are you interested in some type of sport? There are many great breeders out there, not sure if Maine has many, but it is worth researching the different lines, and what you really want. Don't limit yourself to one area in the US, there are reputable breeders that keep you updated with pics and growing stages thru this great net, and pups ship without trouble.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

http://www.gretchanya.com/About_us.htm

does any one know about how these breeders are?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know I checked them out when I was looking but I can't remember anything about them.Where are they located in NH?The web site has changed since last year when I was looking.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think you're all over the map with the 3 breeders you've posted.

Which style of GSD are you looking for? What is the dog going to be doing all day, all week, etc.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Anything around MA is fine for me since it is a dog and not something I am goin to have for just 1 day so i don't mind maine, New Hampshire and around there. We want a dog to bring it everwhere we go. I would say it is going to be more of a companion, but I will give it a walk everyday, and cuddle up with it alot. It is not going to be a working dog. We also have 2 1/2 acres of land which is a benifit. On sat i am going on a 4 hour drive to ME and check out the first link i showed, they are 100% imported gsd unlike american gsd from the brownhill.
The gsd we are going to get is going to be with a person 100% of the day, and not just 1 person. On sunny nice days i would plan on playing frisbee and ball, and on other days give it walks in my neighborhood
Old 04-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depending on what your looking for here is one I have heard is good.There in MA too.
http://milesriverddr.com/_wsn/page5.html

Old 04-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

"On sat i am going on a 4 hour drive to ME and check out the first link i showed, they are 100% imported gsd unlike american gsd from the brownhill."

That doesn't mean its better. You really should research more about the different lines and what would fit best with your situation. I didn't like the fact that they say they have "hundreds" of owners. Too big for what I would deal with. And the prices are way more than regular kennels with working lines. I'd pass and look some more.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'll probably still take a look, can anyone tell me some well known breeders in MA, and by the pedigree and class and all the names could you tell me what i should expect from that lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.