German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Is this an age thing? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/485610-age-thing.html)

Rangers_mom 09-04-2014 12:31 PM

Is this an age thing?

I think we have a wide age range on this board so let me get some input here if you don't mind. I am 50 years old and while I am not a prude it has never even occurred to me to take a nude picture of myself for my husband - even when we were in a long distance relationship for the 2 years before we married. I realize that a large part of that has to do with accessibility. It was a lot harder pre-digital cameras to take nude pictures, but honestly it never even occurred to me. Don't get me wrong, i don't think there is anything wrong with it. It is just kind of an eyeopener to me. I guess I am naive but maybe I am just old. So I am just curious as to whether this whole nude picture thing caught you off guard and whether you think it is an age thing?

FYI - May I add that I am pretty angry with the way that the media handled this story. It was splashed all over the news which translates to "don't go looking for those private intimate photos of your favorite stars." Seriously, I never would have known about it if it hadn't been on google news and USA Today for 2 days, because I never had even heard of the websites where the photos were displayed. And my daughter (15 yrs old), who is a big Jennifer Lawrence fan, had no idea until she heard it on the NBC nightly news. How many 15 year old boys went to look for these photos because they were so well publicized? It gets me angry because these women deserve some privacy. There. I am done ranting.

wyoung2153 09-04-2014 12:42 PM

The nude pictures didn't catch me off guard in that sense, because I know people take them rather frequently, but it does catch me off guard when it's publicized.. more so it irks me. People have no respect for other's privacy these days.. and I don't necessarily think it's an age thing. I'm 25 and taking nude pictures of myself really never crossed my mind. Even with my SO and I deploying a lot and not seeing eachother. Just wasn't important to me, I guess. I would rather spend my time and emails talking to him and conversing, vs just sending pictures of myself like that. Plus it freaks me out, lol. Obviously people get ahold of these things and well, we see what happens so I lean toward the safe side.

LuvShepherds 09-04-2014 12:47 PM

You can't stop the media from reporting anything that gets them ratings. Taking photos that should be private is always a risk. Don't do it and they won't be hacked. They shouldn't have been but they were. We can get upset about it, but it happened and could again.

Liesje 09-04-2014 12:50 PM

I agree with the articles that say it's not a "scandal", it's a crime!

Also I find it interesting that no one seems to care about the security implications with iCloud. Granted you couldn't pay me to use Apple devices but now I'd be more careful if I did, and I'm not saying just nude photos but it's scary that people can hack in and help themselves to your data.

Rangers_mom 09-04-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5983754)
The nude pictures didn't catch me off guard in that sense, because I know people take them rather frequently, but it does catch me off guard when it's publicized.. more so it irks me. People have no respect for other's privacy these days.. and I don't necessarily think it's an age thing. I'm 25 and taking nude pictures of myself really never crossed my mind. Even with my SO and I deploying a lot and not seeing eachother. Just wasn't important to me, I guess. I would rather spend my time and emails talking to him and conversing, vs just sending pictures of myself like that. Plus it freaks me out, lol. Obviously people get ahold of these things and well, we see what happens so I lean toward the safe side.

I am happy to hear that a 25 year old is not interested in doing this. I guess I was a little nervous that my daughter would be facing a world where this is just expected of young women. While I don't think there is anything wrong with it. People are entitled to their own private sex lives. However it is clear that society makes it much more difficult for women to have a private sex life. It seems to me these women were violated twice. Once when their pictures were hacked and a second time when everybody in the media shouted about this story from every rooftop.

Rangers_mom 09-04-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvShepherds (Post 5983794)
You can't stop the media from reporting anything that gets them ratings. Taking photos that should be private is always a risk. Don't do it and they won't be hacked. They shouldn't have been but they were. We can get upset about it, but it happened and could again.

I understand that they are going to report on what gets them ratings but it is still despicable. Peoples' private information is breached all the time. They wouldn't put my name on the evening news and say "a website has her ss#, birthdate, mothers maiden name, bank account numbers etc.." Go at it... At least I hope not.

Rangers_mom 09-04-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 5983826)
I agree with the articles that say it's not a "scandal", it's a crime!

Also I find it interesting that no one seems to care about the security implications with iCloud. Granted you couldn't pay me to use Apple devices but now I'd be more careful if I did, and I'm not saying just nude photos but it's scary that people can hack in and help themselves to your data.

Yay. That is part of my point. The media is ignoring the big story - identity theft and the hacking of financial information from thousands of people every day. And they are turning a small story, the hacking of a few famous peoples personal info, into a big story.

wyoung2153 09-04-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangers_mom (Post 5983834)
I am happy to hear that a 25 year old is not interested in doing this. I guess I was a little nervous that my daughter would be facing a world where this is just expected of young women. While I don't think there is anything wrong with it. People are entitled to their own private sex lives. However it is clear that society makes it much more difficult for women to have a private sex life. It seems to me these women were violated twice. Once when their pictures were hacked and a second time when everybody in the media shouted about this story from every rooftop.

I agree with you completely. I don't get what makes someone's personal lives, the business of others. But such is society.. just seems to be the way things are.. not that it is an excuse at all but it really is something of today's society.. Everyone wants to be in everyone's business and then complain about where all the self respect and respect of others have gone. Just irks me to no end.

Then get me talking about the legality of it all and I'll really get going.. haha.

Lilie 09-04-2014 03:17 PM

Publicity is publicity. When a person makes a living with being in the public eye there will be hardships they'll have to carry.

Not dismissing what was done to her. But, I don't hear huge stories being made when someone hacks into a normal Joe Blow's personal information and steals their identity or their retirement etc. That is life changing. Joe Blow did nothing to warrant that action.

If I don't want your laundry in the public's eye, don't hang it on the clothes line.

Rangers_mom 09-04-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5984314)
not that it is an excuse at all but it really is something of today's society..

Unfortunately it is nothing new to todays world. People have always been fascinated with peoples' private lives especially those of powerful or famous women.