German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   How Long Before You Got Married? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/485562-how-long-before-you-got-married.html)

LaRen616 09-04-2014 09:22 AM

How Long Before You Got Married?

How long were you with your SO before you got married?

Did you know right away that they were the one?

Carriesue 09-04-2014 09:33 AM

My husband and I were together about 2 years before we got married and we lived together that whole time... I really do think that is a good thing lol. BUT I pretty much moved in with him after I'd only known him a few months... oh and moved cross country to live with him(we met online).

But we just got on so quickly, I flew out to spend a week with him and it was like it was totally natural, I left then ended up flying back two weeks later and never left. We've now been together 10 years. :)

Mister C 09-04-2014 09:53 AM

We dated for seven years before getting married. We met in high school. She was a senior and I was a junior. Kind of a big deal to be dating a senior back then or at least I thought so.

We had briefly met at a friend's house and I just could not get that girl off my mind. So I wrote her a poem and gave it to her after English class. Our relationship started from that day.

I went away for college and she stayed put in our home town. We did the long distance relationship thing for 4 years. With no car at the time I got very creative about finding ways home including hooking up with a flight instructor and taking flying lessons to get me home for the weekend.

I wanted to finish college before marrying which is one of the reasons we dated so long.

Yeah, I knew she was the one early on in our relationship. It's been 31 years now since we met and I love her more each day.

misslesleedavis1 09-04-2014 09:59 AM

6 years this october, set to be married in a year. Live together for some time. Technically common law. Things are not all sunshine and lollipops these days, I dont know.

onyx'girl 09-04-2014 10:01 AM

I was a junior in HS, my boyfriend a senior. We moved in together after I graduated('78). Lived together for several years and got married in '86.
First child in '92. Time flies....

Liesje 09-04-2014 10:18 AM

4 years. We met in college. I was a freshman, DH was a junior. He just broke up with his previous girlfriend. I was living on-campus (required) and the two girls we were paired with as suitemates were friends with my DH's suitemates (DH was an RA, hence living on-campus as a junior), so we just naturally paired off. I was not looking for a serious relationship as a freshman, but figured since he just ended a long term relationship I could be a rebound girl and just have fun. We just never broke up! I refused to get married while I was in school. I wanted to live with my friends, travel, worry about work and my grades without diving into adulthood, so we got married after I finished my degree. I turn 30 next week and our 8th wedding anniversary is at the end of the month.

Remo 09-04-2014 10:22 AM

I knew the day that I met John that he was the man for me. We met in 1981 and finally got around to getting married just a little over a year ago. So, we had a 32 year engagement!

We got married because in order for him to be eligible for my retirement annuity (if I kick the bucket) we had to be married BEFORE I retired last year.

I honestly can't say that it feels any different after all of those years. We were always married in our hearts. We watched our friends go through marriages and divorces, and in the meantime, we just continued to chug along!

Lilie 09-04-2014 10:27 AM

I was a senior, he was fresh out of the military. Met him at a bar. His friends knew my older sisters. He saved me from a goober at the bar. My folks hated him, so three months later (after graduation) I married him.

That was 32 years ago......I'm still pretty fond of him. He still saves me from goobers.

wyoung2153 09-04-2014 10:38 AM

Not married yet, but well on my way.. I like this thread and I love reading the stories :) Thanks for the topic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remo (Post 5983378)
I knew the day that I met John that he was the man for me. We met in 1981 and finally got around to getting married just a little over a year ago. So, we had a 32 year engagement!

We got married because in order for him to be eligible for my retirement annuity (if I kick the bucket) we had to be married BEFORE I retired last year.

I honestly can't say that it feels any different after all of those years. We were always married in our hearts. We watched our friends go through marriages and divorces, and in the meantime, we just continued to chug along!

That's pretty awesome, non-traditional, and it worked out! :wub: Mind me asking why you decided not to get married, legally, all those years?

DTS 09-04-2014 10:44 AM

5 years. We met at church in high school but didn't talk much. Connected in college.
We moved in together 2 months into it.
Were getting married next month and I couldn't be happier ;)