German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   What do you answer to.... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/485378-what-do-you-answer.html)

wolfy dog 09-03-2014 07:29 PM

What do you answer to....

the questions of store/ bank employees that ask, "so, how is your day going so far?"
Or, "What are you going to do this weekend?"
I often find myself lying when I say, "Oh, I am doing fine" or "I don't know yet."
One day, the morning my dad died, I got a question like that and I couldn't keep myself from saying," I will tell you what my day is like, honestly. My dad died this morning so I am miserable." End of the conversation.
Can't we just go back to greeting? Would it be rude to say that I am uncomfortable with these kind of questions?
So are employees required to ask these more detailed questions nowadays? Is it regional or also in the rest of the country?
Just curious and hoping to hear from people who work in retail or banks.

misslesleedavis1 09-03-2014 07:37 PM

Lol I asked a man how his day was once and his reply was " I caught my wife with the neighbor"

RiverDan 09-03-2014 07:40 PM

I always answer, "Still Breathing."

wolfy dog 09-03-2014 07:41 PM

Oh no!! And how did you respond, Missleslee?

Nigel 09-03-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverDan (Post 5981346)
I always answer, "Still Breathing."

Haha! My old hippie neighbor use to say "I'm on the right side of the dirt"

Sarah~ 09-03-2014 08:05 PM

I work at a hotel, my boss wants us to say those kinds of things to be friendly with the guests so they come back. I don't say it all the time and I can usually tell when someone is in a bad mood so I don't ask them. Honestly it just sort of comes out as a whole greeting like "hey, how are you today" because I say it so much. It's not even really that I'm super interested all the time I just try to give good customer service lol. I get asked all the time, too, I usually just say doing fine or tired if I'm not feeling like talking too much.

Liesje 09-03-2014 08:21 PM

My boss asks me this every morning. Granted he is a great boss, he always walks around to greet everyone on the team and asks how we are doing. He actually cares, is not saying it just to be polite. Some days I say, "Do you REALLY want to know?" and we laugh. If I'm really not feeling well and it may be relevant to my work (like I don't need 100 interruptions or 100 new things dumped on me that day) I might actually be honest and say I have a migraine and am not feeling well. Most of the time I say, "I'm doing well enough."

I work in customer service, I work for an IT HelpDesk so part of the day I am answering phones or helping people in person. I usually don't ask how they are doing. My phone greeting is "[name of HelpDesk], this is [my name] speaking, may I have your name please?" and go from there. Sometimes a customer asks me how I'm doing and I'll always say "fine" or "well, but busy" if it's someone I already know.

lalachka 09-03-2014 08:34 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Lol I used to do desktop support. It was less formal though)))) I like what I'm doing now much better, I can be all grumpy and no one cares. I also get to stay home a lot

For the op. I always say 'beautiful' or 'amazing' in a sarcastic kind of tone. Only because usually people don't care and I don't like empty talk. I also hate people that don't know how to shut up or that always cut others off. Or, my most annoying one, when they raise their voice to talk over someone.
I also hate it when people tell stories with 5000 unnecessary details. I tell them to speed it up lol. And one more. When they insist on finishing the sentence even though it's obvious what they're saying.

I guess this is why I don't have any friends lol.

Sarah~ 09-03-2014 08:46 PM

Oh wow lala I do all of those things lmao!

lalachka 09-03-2014 08:54 PM

70 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah~ (Post 5981522)
Oh wow lala I do all of those things lmao!

Sorry, I'm a grump)))))