German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Tell us something you normally wouldn't (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/484729-tell-us-something-you-normally-wouldnt.html)

Zeeva 08-31-2014 08:05 PM

Tell us something you normally wouldn't

Tell us something you normally wouldn't.

Here's my story. It's been over a year since this happened and trust me I don't ever let my pups out unsupervised anymore...ever Ever EVER...Now they simply have free roam of the house...

Anyway, a day or two after we moved into our new home, we went to do some grocery shopping. We left the dogs to roam free in our yard. Inside it was too messy and they didn't have free roam of the house yet. The fencing in our yard is wooden and about 7 feet high. I have no idea why we didn't crate them...

When we returned our neighbor came over. Said his utility guy saw Zeeva jump the fence out of our yard and jump back into our yard. Also said (he was gone so doesn't exactly know what happened) there was a missing wood panel on our side of the fence that our neighbor had hopped over into our yard and replaced.

Here's the worst part :C one of our pups killed one of his less than 10 pound dogs (he had 3). Either Smokey got through the missing panel area, or Zeeva hopped over; we don't know. That pup went to the vet and had to be PTS after some treatment didn't help.

My neighbor wasn't angry. He was concerned. He was kind. All he said was 'I'm going to do whatever it takes to protect us if need be' which we told him is understandable. We talk to him if we see him around now. We are very lucky...

My neighbors dogs are outside 24/7. I can see them through the spacing between the panels. He has a chihuahua (less then 5lbs; honestly it's smaller than my smallest cat) and some kind of mayyybe(?) beagle mix (that is probably around 10lbs). Zeeva fence fights with the beagle mix. They still antagonize each other by scratching at the panels...

I've learned from this experience of course. It still haunts me that one of my dogs has such a capacity although what happened no one knows...

So that's my ghastly story...

Are you brave enough for this thread?

Loneforce 08-31-2014 09:09 PM

For over 30 years I have used Choke chains on my dogs. "never had any problems either" I liked the look and control I have with them. I have had red ones, blue ones, triple chrome plated ones, purple and pink ones for the girls. I cringe every time the words choke chain come up on here. I have seen people "not directly" Flat out call me a bad dog owner and should not have a dog. It really hurts when I read that, because I have always loved every dog I have ever had. When Taz died I cried for 2 days solid, and I am a guy unlike the other 95% on here. I have always been ashamed of telling people that I cried. :) The same thing when Ginger went. I got so sick on the way home from having her put to sleep. I threw up several times. I love my dogs very much and really do not need people telling me I am a bad owner, because I use a choke chain on them. I watch them like a hawk when any collar is on them, or even if there is no collar. I make sure they are ok daily. I inspect them to make sure they have no bugs or anything like that. I let them play and excersize, and always make sure they have something to eat. I study and make sure I am feeding them healthy foods, and make sure they stay out of trouble. I protect them with my life, and always make sure they have all their shots and get vet checked. Heck my dogs are healthier then I am. LOL Anyways this is something I normally would not tell people, and really did not want to tell it this time either. It has been building up though....

Skywalkers Mom 08-31-2014 09:44 PM

My worst is when I didnt take my cat to vet, just hoped she would rebound again like she did before. For letting people on here make me want to give up and find somewhere else due to the egos that ring so loudly in their words. The most horrible, though wasnt of my deed or doing. My parents took myself and my baby son to my cousins house to visit. I didnt find out til later they had my horse, my love, and such a huge part of my life was put down. He lost too many teeth to eat enough to sustain him I know. It was the right thing to do, but the hurt made me sick as well. I fell to the floor crying. My 7 yr old son hugged me and said mommy what can I do. I told him just love the times you have with those you love. He was young but knew what I meant.

Skywalkers Mom 08-31-2014 09:50 PM

I put wrong age of my son he was 4.

llombardo 08-31-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneforce (Post 5970497)
For over 30 years I have used Choke chains on my dogs. "never had any problems either" I liked the look and control I have with them. I have had red ones, blue ones, triple chrome plated ones, purple and pink ones for the girls. I cringe every time the words choke chain come up on here. I have seen people "not directly" Flat out call me a bad dog owner and should not have a dog. It really hurts when I read that, because I have always loved every dog I have ever had. When Taz died I cried for 2 days solid, and I am a guy unlike the other 95% on here. I have always been ashamed of telling people that I cried. :) The same thing when Ginger went. I got so sick on the way home from having her put to sleep. I threw up several times. I love my dogs very much and really do not need people telling me I am a bad owner, because I use a choke chain on them. I watch them like a hawk when any collar is on them, or even if there is no collar. I make sure they are ok daily. I inspect them to make sure they have no bugs or anything like that. I let them play and excersize, and always make sure they have something to eat. I study and make sure I am feeding them healthy foods, and make sure they stay out of trouble. I protect them with my life, and always make sure they have all their shots and get vet checked. Heck my dogs are healthier then I am. LOL Anyways this is something I normally would not tell people, and really did not want to tell it this time either. It has been building up though....

I think it's great that you can show and feel emotion. My dad cried like a baby when he has had to put his dogs down. My ex didn't think it was a big deal when we had to put down our lab, by the time we left I was hysterical and both he and my son were in tears. Don't worry about what other people think, everything is different for each person and unless they walk in your shoes they should keep their mouths shut:mad:

Sabis mom 08-31-2014 10:56 PM

Loneforce, I use chokes as well. I like them.

I tried to raise a pup after his owner shot the mother. We were told he was a German Shepherd. By the time he was 7 weeks old his paws were as big as my hands. At 6 months old he started killing things and he was as big as Sabi. By 15 months old he towered over the other dogs and weighed 117 lbs. He snapped his leash and attacked a man walking down the street. Fortunately it was cold and the man was bundled up. Two days later he yanked the leash out of my husbands hand late at night and killed a small dog. I had him put down a few days later. His name was Bear. I loved him, he was a momma's boy, but I had visions of him getting shot, me getting sued, or him grabbing a child. I still have his picture on the wall. I cried all the way home from the vets. I never talk about him because I feel guilty. And I feel worse because I was relieved he was gone. He had turned on my husband a few times and I was getting a bit afraid of him, and a bit worried about my ability to stop him. Three different trainers refused to work with him, one flat out offered to shoot him for me.
And now you all know my little secret, I did give up on a dog once.

HarleyTheGSD 09-01-2014 01:33 AM

When I got my first GSD (Harley), sadly, I didn't have this amazing forum to look to for help.
I got him at four months old from a BYB. I knew nothing about choosing a puppy. I didn't know anything about reputable breeders. He was not socialized at all. Poor boy was terrified of me. :(
We were inseparable after the first day together, but it took him a few weeks to warm up to my family. He would run to his crate, completely petrified with fear. :( The thing is, I realize now that I've raised him the wrong way. If I knew then what I know now, he would probably be a much more confident dog. I've honestly ruined him. I hate knowing that. I can't undo the past, but I can use what I've learned to keep him happy.
Lesson learned.

Ellimaybel 09-01-2014 01:58 AM

I'm a very insecure, unhappy person. I have a disorder that causes me to suffer huge bouts of depression. I have temperament issues, mood swings, and it changes day to day. Through all of this, my pets love me for who I am, never get mad at me, never ignore me, never show me anything except unconditional love. To them and God I am eternally grateful.

Zeeva 09-01-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5971745)
I'm a very insecure, unhappy person. I have a disorder that causes me to suffer huge bouts of depression. I have temperament issues, mood swings, and it changes day to day. Through all of this, my pets love me for who I am, never get mad at me, never ignore me, never show me anything except unconditional love. To them and God I am eternally grateful.

:'( I hope you\'re always safe even if you\'re unhappy. I pray you have better days ahead and that with the right counseling and medication you remain stable...

I think this forum has been a bit of a support network for me even though there are some people that I don\'t like on here. And because of them I\'ve sort of stopped using it as a support.

But we\'re here for you too...like your pups...most of us at least...

jang 09-01-2014 10:12 AM

I was a drug addict...almost 14 years clean now...I had 3 westies and put my habit ahead of my dogs and gave them away..I still look at every westie see and wonder if it is one of mine..So many regrets when you have a past like mine...Never thought I would expose myself like this on this forum....But, people learn from other peoples mistakes and if my mistakes can help someone, then I will take the hits for revealing this part of myself...blessings to all..