German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Northern Michigan vacation spots kid/pet friendly (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/483849-northern-michigan-vacation-spots-kid-pet-friendly.html)

Girl_Loves_Hydraulics 08-28-2014 09:49 PM

Northern Michigan vacation spots kid/pet friendly

Hoping someone can suggest some great vacationing areas in the Northern Michigan region. Looking for something near some water, with a reasonable rental rate on a cabin. Would like something that more private, and not tons of people everywhere you go. But not so far removed that if you want to go have a breakfast somewhere, you're not driving 40 minutes...Also needs to be kid and pet friendly. I haven't traveled much up north except in the Gaylord/Alpena area. Any suggestions of some places? I've been doing a lot of internet browsing, but it can sometimes be a little overwhelming. I want to be able to set the dogs and the kid loose in a responsible way :o

ksotto333 08-28-2014 09:56 PM

Are you crossing the bridge? And how rustic do you want to be? We rented a cabin for 7 days, 40 minutes north of the bridge. Solar panels for lights, artesian well for water. Inside toilet but you have to carry water to fill the tanks in the log cabin. Sleeps 6 easily...We loved it..40 minutes to Sault Ste Marie, 30 to Taqhunemon Falls, 50 to Whitefish Point..40 to the ferry to Mackinac Island. We had 3 dogs with us..

Jax08 08-28-2014 10:09 PM

Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears Mi. I grew up there. :)

Ever been to Mackinaw Island? That's fantastic. No motor vehicles allowed.

MichaelE 08-28-2014 10:12 PM

Not certain of pet friendly places, but if you want to get away from it all, or most of it, the UP is the place to go.

I used to vacation just north of Houghton every year on my in-law's farm.

I plan to retire up there.

Girl_Loves_Hydraulics 08-28-2014 10:48 PM

I've never been to the UP though I have considered Mackinaw Island just so I can say I went lol...I don't mind being rustic, but is it awful that if there happened to be WiFi, I would be okay with that! But I did have Houghton Lake and Silver Dunes on my radar so good to know that others had good experiences there...

Jax08 08-28-2014 10:55 PM

I loved growing up there. It's very different now. More touristy. don't go on Memorial, July 4th or Labor Day weekend. Packed.

Mackinaw is a day trip. Go early, see the fort, the town, the island. Maybe spend the night and go.

jjk454ss 08-28-2014 11:45 PM

I love the Ludington State Park. I'll actually be there for 2 weeks in the middle of September.

Jax08 08-29-2014 08:12 AM

Ludington is great too. Pentwater has a nice beach. Well...or DID! I guess I dont' know now. Haven't been there in years.

Jax08 08-29-2014 08:13 AM

You can take the Badger across to Wisconsin. I think that runs out of Ludington. I was on the Spartan as a kid.