So how did you all become friends? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So how did you all become friends?

Hey there fellow forum readers...So this is totally in the spirit of friendship so I welcome all opinions. So I notice when some members post, no one really talks to them, and when others do, it's like everyone and their mama has something to say. Is there something I am missing here? Are most of you friends outside of this board? Are there some that only socialize with breeders and not, no rudeness intended, so called pet owners? I've never really paid attention to dynamics of the internet or such, as I am a marketing/sales manager in the hydraulic industry. Most of my connections are face to face, so I sort of lack perhaps in the online etiquette. What do you suggest to become more closer knit with others that have a love for the GSD breed? Is there maybe a Metro Detroit region thread where perhaps I can connect with others in my vicinity? Once again, my apologies if I am coming off as rude in anyway. I just want to state that is not my intention, just curious has to how to connect/establish relationships with like minded people
Girl_Loves_Hydraulics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is a good question! I think there are a lot of factors as to how many responses a thread gets. I have a lot of friends from this forum (most of them have become friends on facebook or in person, so we communicate that way more). If anything, I tend to not respond to threads that they post, because it's something we've discussed in other venues. I do think sport people/working people/pet people all tend to "band together", but more out of common threads of conversation and common interests... and the sport people tend to meet each other in real life for trials and such.

I think when someone posts (time of day) and the wording of the subject line tend to be what determines who gets the most views/responses... as well as how "hot button" the topic is. If it's a question that's been asked a thousand times over, people usually don't respond as often. Posts that get put up during "off" times tend to not get as much traffic either... nobody's around to see them, and when people log on they tend to go right to the threads they last participated in.

Go ahead and try posting a location thread! There are a TON of users from your area here. I actually got to know most of my "friends" through off-topic chat threads.... there were people who stood out during dog discussions, but more of their personalities (and common things that make people gravitate together, like hobbies and whatnot) come out in chat threads.
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I only post if I feel like I can contribute something, but I always make an effort to comment on strangers posts. A lot of people I met on the forum here ended up transferring over to Facebook and various levels of friendship evolved from there.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I get responses to most of my threads and they spiral into paged and pages of back and forth. I'm still not exactly sure why this happens but it's def not because I have friends here or that I'm liked here.

I'm actually interested myself. if I had to guess I'd say I'm pretty abrasive so people come to my threads to get riled up. I do that sometimes, read stuff that annoys me to get some emotions lol

sometimes I have interesting topics and then people reply because they want to discuss. but there were times when I posted stuff that interested me (AR groups) and no one replied.

so if you find the answer to this i want to know (not just my threads)
lalachka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

here's another observation. I posted pics of my dog many times (though not stacked) asking for opinions on a few things that worried me and no one replied.
also, posted something I built which is impressive and I'm not saying that because I did it. no replies.

so this i know for a fact happens because I'm not liked here. but my threads are harder to ignore.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

and there's def a breeder clique here. and...
lol let me shut up while I'm ahead)))))
Old 08-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are many people in Michigan on the board. Not sure about Metro Detroit but at least some outside the city. I think there is a SchH club not far from you. Not exactly sure where the group from Wildhaus trains but thought it was in your area.

People tend to respond based on time of day, has the subject been beat to death, is the poster combative. Stupidity almost always gets many responses! So if you aren't getting responses maybe you are just really smart!!!

Some of us have met off the board. Some of us just really get along well. Some are on our facebooks. Many of us "know" each other from before the board was bought and many don't post on here very much anymore because of the nature of the board now.

And we always like mechanical minded women. We need more of them.

ETA: Ok....just read Lala's posts. I was being a smartass. No, the stupidity getting responses is NOT directed at you, Lala!!!

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 08-26-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

lol you know my engine started running)))))))
Old 08-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
because I'm not liked here..

Where did you hear that ??...and that's not what any of us say at the secret GSD Forum gala events replete with Cristal Champagne and lobster appetizers shaped like little GSDs.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Where did you hear that ??...and that's not what any of us say at the secret GSD Forum gala events replete with Cristal Champagne and lobster appetizers shaped like little GSDs.

SuperG
But we can't tell you exactly what was said. It's a secret. Unless you know the password.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.