German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   So how did you all become friends? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/483209-so-how-did-you-all-become-friends.html)

Girl_Loves_Hydraulics 08-26-2014 04:07 PM

So how did you all become friends?

Hey there fellow forum readers...So this is totally in the spirit of friendship so I welcome all opinions. So I notice when some members post, no one really talks to them, and when others do, it's like everyone and their mama has something to say. Is there something I am missing here? Are most of you friends outside of this board? Are there some that only socialize with breeders and not, no rudeness intended, so called pet owners? I've never really paid attention to dynamics of the internet or such, as I am a marketing/sales manager in the hydraulic industry. Most of my connections are face to face, so I sort of lack perhaps in the online etiquette. What do you suggest to become more closer knit with others that have a love for the GSD breed? Is there maybe a Metro Detroit region thread where perhaps I can connect with others in my vicinity? Once again, my apologies if I am coming off as rude in anyway. I just want to state that is not my intention, just curious has to how to connect/establish relationships with like minded people :cool:

LoveEcho 08-26-2014 04:16 PM

This is a good question! I think there are a lot of factors as to how many responses a thread gets. I have a lot of friends from this forum (most of them have become friends on facebook or in person, so we communicate that way more). If anything, I tend to not respond to threads that they post, because it's something we've discussed in other venues. I do think sport people/working people/pet people all tend to "band together", but more out of common threads of conversation and common interests... and the sport people tend to meet each other in real life for trials and such.

I think when someone posts (time of day) and the wording of the subject line tend to be what determines who gets the most views/responses... as well as how "hot button" the topic is. If it's a question that's been asked a thousand times over, people usually don't respond as often. Posts that get put up during "off" times tend to not get as much traffic either... nobody's around to see them, and when people log on they tend to go right to the threads they last participated in.

Go ahead and try posting a location thread! There are a TON of users from your area here. I actually got to know most of my "friends" through off-topic chat threads.... there were people who stood out during dog discussions, but more of their personalities (and common things that make people gravitate together, like hobbies and whatnot) come out in chat threads.

Wild Wolf 08-26-2014 04:30 PM

I only post if I feel like I can contribute something, but I always make an effort to comment on strangers posts. A lot of people I met on the forum here ended up transferring over to Facebook and various levels of friendship evolved from there.

lalachka 08-26-2014 04:30 PM

70 Attachment(s)
I get responses to most of my threads and they spiral into paged and pages of back and forth. I'm still not exactly sure why this happens but it's def not because I have friends here or that I'm liked here.

I'm actually interested myself. if I had to guess I'd say I'm pretty abrasive so people come to my threads to get riled up. I do that sometimes, read stuff that annoys me to get some emotions lol

sometimes I have interesting topics and then people reply because they want to discuss. but there were times when I posted stuff that interested me (AR groups) and no one replied.

so if you find the answer to this i want to know (not just my threads)

lalachka 08-26-2014 04:36 PM

70 Attachment(s)
here's another observation. I posted pics of my dog many times (though not stacked) asking for opinions on a few things that worried me and no one replied.
also, posted something I built which is impressive and I'm not saying that because I did it. no replies.

so this i know for a fact happens because I'm not liked here. but my threads are harder to ignore.

lalachka 08-26-2014 04:42 PM

70 Attachment(s)
and there's def a breeder clique here. and...
lol let me shut up while I'm ahead)))))

Jax08 08-26-2014 04:46 PM

There are many people in Michigan on the board. Not sure about Metro Detroit but at least some outside the city. I think there is a SchH club not far from you. Not exactly sure where the group from Wildhaus trains but thought it was in your area.

People tend to respond based on time of day, has the subject been beat to death, is the poster combative. Stupidity almost always gets many responses! So if you aren't getting responses maybe you are just really smart!!! ;)

Some of us have met off the board. Some of us just really get along well. Some are on our facebooks. Many of us "know" each other from before the board was bought and many don't post on here very much anymore because of the nature of the board now.

And we always like mechanical minded women. We need more of them. :)

ETA: Ok....just read Lala's posts. I was being a smartass. No, the stupidity getting responses is NOT directed at you, Lala!!!

lalachka 08-26-2014 04:49 PM

70 Attachment(s)
lol you know my engine started running)))))))

SuperG 08-26-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalachka (Post 5947689)
because I'm not liked here..

Where did you hear that ??...and that's not what any of us say at the secret GSD Forum gala events replete with Cristal Champagne and lobster appetizers shaped like little GSDs.

SuperG

Jax08 08-26-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5947769)
Where did you hear that ??...and that's not what any of us say at the secret GSD Forum gala events replete with Cristal Champagne and lobster appetizers shaped like little GSDs.

SuperG

But we can't tell you exactly what was said. It's a secret. Unless you know the password.