German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Anyone getting the Flu Shot? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/482489-anyone-getting-flu-shot.html)

CelticGlory 08-23-2014 06:52 PM

Anyone getting the Flu Shot?

This is my first year of getting the flu shot, only because I have to do observation hours in a school with K-6 students for 15 hours, and I know a lot of these kids tend to get sick with the flu or cold during that time.

I hate shots, but this was easy, and you didn't really feel it. It was just a quick prick. Last time I suffered with the flu was a long long time ago.

So, what type of flu vaccine did you get or going to get? I got the standard shot and it only took like two minutes.

llombardo 08-23-2014 06:54 PM

I have been getting it every year for the last few years. Last year I got it later then usual. Usually I get it around October. I do not like shots either and I think it's a pretty easy shot to get.

Susan_GSD_mom 08-23-2014 08:30 PM

Back in the late 90's my sister and I got the flu really bad. I tell people that for three days I was afraid I was dying, and for the next three days I wished I could. I had three dogs at the time, two wolfdogs and one GSD, and they all got fed and taken outside, by me, and I really couldn't remember much of it all for about the 3 worst days. I didn't feel nearly normal for three weeks. From that point on we got the flu shot, usually about the first couple weeks of October. My sister makes frequent hospital stays, so they usually give it to her there. We've never had the flu again, and especially now that we are older, we never go without the shot.

On a side note... At that time I had just adopted a rescue wolfdog, and he and the female I had did not get along at all, because he had snatched a nylabone away from the GSD male, whom she had raised. I had to pretty much manage the two wolfdogs most of their lives. BUT--all the while we had the flu so bad, they all three co-existed peacefully, all sharing my bed, no fights, no growling... I got well and it was back to normal, her threatening the male WD at least once a day. They were okay inside, but could never go outside together unless I had her on a leash.

Susan

SuperG 08-23-2014 08:31 PM

I'm not and haven't.....

I've been an advocate of minimal shots/etc. for my pup, so I will practice what I preach to the furball.

SuperG

Susan_GSD_mom 08-23-2014 08:33 PM

One other note on the flu shot. If they happen to miss a strain of the flu in the mix, and you catch it, it won't be as bad as it would be if you did not have the shot. Somehow you still get some immunity, at least that's been our experience.

Susan

SuperG 08-23-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom (Post 5938641)
Back in the late 90's my sister and I got the flu really bad. I tell people that for three days I was afraid I was dying, and for the next three days I wished I could.

Susan

The upside to that event is how one should so appreciate their good health...gotta be beaten down to remind us of how fortunate we are when we feel "normal".

SuperG

Susan_GSD_mom 08-23-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5938673)
The upside to that event is how one should so appreciate their good health...gotta be beaten down to remind us of how fortunate we are when we feel "normal".

SuperG

Lol, that did feel like a rebirth!

Susan

ksotto333 08-23-2014 09:02 PM

I work for a hospital system. If I don't get the shot, I have to wear a mask and that's not going to happen...

Liesje 08-23-2014 09:40 PM

I get it each year b/c not only is it free, but I get a half point towards my employers health program and if you earn 2 points per quarter you get $75 cash. I've never had a reaction and I haven't had a real flu in many years (not since I got really sick in Africa and then picked up some bugs on the plane rides home and was sick for 5 months).

E.Hatch 08-23-2014 09:44 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ksotto333 (Post 5938777)
I work for a hospital system. If I don't get the shot, I have to wear a mask and that's not going to happen...

Yep I'm a nurse and hospitals basically make us get the vaccine. If you don't you have to wear a surgical mask for the entire flu season (Oct to March I want to say) which is absolutely ridiculous. The vaccine doesn't protect you from all strains so it's not like you can't still get sick. How about if you're sick stay home and don't risk infecting your patients or coworkers?