German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   New house:re-model (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/482305-new-house-re-model.html)

lauren43 08-22-2014 07:12 PM

New house:re-model

It's been what feels like a very long process, but I guess it truly hasn't been too bad. Closed on my new place July 9th. Had to have the hardwoods re-finished before I could step foot in the place as the prior owner had cats--lots of them!!!

Most of the rooms required some wallpaper removal and all needed paint.

The kitchen was the big project. The way it stood before I moved in was not functional. So my dad and my uncle torn the whole thing out.

Here are the to date before and after of the kitchen:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...psa9eaac13.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...psfc6cb2d6.jpg

Nigel 08-22-2014 08:54 PM

Looking much better, lot more functional, great job. Doing the dishes with the old version looks like it would be a challenge.

marksteven 08-22-2014 09:10 PM

Kitchen looks great. I HATE dark wood work and Cabinets.

lorihd@comcast.net 08-22-2014 09:24 PM

very nice indeed :)

lauren43 08-22-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5936001)
Looking much better, lot more functional, great job. Doing the dishes with the old version looks like it would be a challenge.

It was ridiculous! Who puts a dishwasher under the kitchen sink?!

middleofnowhere 08-23-2014 10:16 AM

I like that you added work space either side of the sink. The stove top blends with the counter which makes the space seem larger, too. In the old one, I have to say that black stove fronts were probably the worst idea that appliance designers came up with. They showed every speck -- (I always have plenty of specks to show) -- glad you got rid of that one.

How about before and afters on the rest of the house?

MyHans-someBoy 08-23-2014 11:20 AM

Very nice transformation! :)

It just looks bigger, brighter and a much more inviting space to work in, not to mention more functional.

My Husband and I remodeled a really old farmhouse several years ago and it had a dark, depressing kitchen. It's hard enough to get inspired to cook and clean up, without having to work in a dreary space.

We did some of the same things you did in regard to lighter cabinets, linoleum that was lighter as well as new wallpaper in complementary, but lighter colors.

It was a cheery kitchen, like yours is now and a lot easier to work in.

lauren43 08-23-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5936921)
I like that you added work space either side of the sink. The stove top blends with the counter which makes the space seem larger, too. In the old one, I have to say that black stove fronts were probably the worst idea that appliance designers came up with. They showed every speck -- (I always have plenty of specks to show) -- glad you got rid of that one.

How about before and afters on the rest of the house?

That stove was gross. You couldn't pay me to cook in it!! Lol.

More before and afters to come. Just got to do some finishing touches...Warning: not every room got brighter, my parents have pointed out that I like the dark paint colors...oh well! I like it that's all that matters.

MyHans-someBoy 08-23-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauren43 (Post 5937369)
That stove was gross. You couldn't pay me to cook in it!! Lol.

More before and afters to come. Just got to do some finishing touches...Warning: not every room got brighter, my parents have pointed out that I like the dark paint colors...oh well! I like it that's all that matters.

Yes, that is all that matters. You are the one living there!

One thing we did with the old farmhouse that I NEVER thought I would do, was paint the hardwood floors in our bedroom. I love the look of wood, so it is practically a "sin" to cover up good hardwood flooring. The problem was these were not good hardwood floors!

It is going to sound ugly, but we found a quilt and matching curtains and picked the kind of sky blue out of those to paint the floor. I will say it all looked amazingly great. I can also confess that almost anything would have been an improvement. ;)

This house had been neglected for so long that the joke was that we could have a goldfish pond in the middle of the living room, since the floor was so sunken in. Hopefully, you're not dealing with structural stuff like we were.

Once the not-so-fun structural items were taken care of, I enjoyed the decorating part of it. It is nice putting your personal touch on something and seeing it become something you look forward to coming home to.

Boy, is it a lot of work though...

osito23 08-23-2014 11:11 PM

That kitchen looks great!