German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Wheat Belly (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/481465-wheat-belly.html)

DHau 08-19-2014 08:38 PM

Wheat Belly

Anybody here read any books on this topic by William Davis, MD? I would like to read some testimonials good or bad.

daisyrunner 08-19-2014 08:54 PM

I have his book, although I didnt read through it entirely. I am an RN and someone who has a gluten "intolerance". I do believe there is something to it, although I also believe that everyone is an individual and everyone reacts to certain foods differently.
I also think that our country genetically toys with too much and has altered too many things, like wheat. Processed foods are a HUGE problem in this country.

My story is that I was having GI issues for about a year, slowly getting worse. I couldnt put my finger on anything specific, just knew I had issues. Heard about his book and what he mentioned and initially thought he was crazy because as mainstream would have you believe, anything "whole wheat" is good for you and cant be bad. Then watched a show about how wheat/gluten related issues have gone up about 400% or so in the past 50 years, and I figured I would cut it out for a few weeks and see what happened. Issues went away, and since then whenever I accidentally ate anything with wheat/gluten I have pain/cramping.
Overall, not everyone needs to cut out wheat/gluten, but EVERYONE SHOULD cut out processed foods as much as possible and eat cleaner. If you cant pronounce it, dont eat it. :)

misslesleedavis1 08-19-2014 08:55 PM

I have seen the plan in action. You gotta stick to it. My old boss did it and she was a total pain in the ass about how amazing it was and how she felt like she was losing everyday, but in the end she gave up and started eating bagels

my boy diesel 08-19-2014 08:58 PM

a lot of it is a fad
some people are gluten intolerant but there is a test for it and if you have it you do if not you probably should not avoid grains

if you look back over the past 50 yrs of diets and what not most of them were fads that came and went
gluten free
grain free
all those key words are just marketing ploys :shrug:
the companies are having a hey day because they can charge way more and make the packaging much smaller and people buy it because it is so "healthy"

DHau 08-20-2014 06:33 PM

You may be right. I pay $60 for a grain free dog food. Dr. Williams has proven that wheat is a GMO product which I did not know. I work in the school nutrition department of my school district. Many kids are showing early signs of obesity from all the junk food consumed. Our main entrees (bread and pasta) and snacks (cookies and rice krispies) include whole wheat. If Dr. Williams is right that the food pyrimid is wrong, then the young generation is going to be in worse shape than the baby boomers.

mssandslinger 08-20-2014 06:43 PM

I love that book!!

Juliem24 08-21-2014 01:30 AM

Personally, I think it's the processing.

Gwenhwyfair 08-21-2014 11:45 AM

I have a friend who has been diagnosed with Celiac disease. While not super common there are a lot of people who have this condition. She had a myriad of problems until she finally got a definitive diagnosis. She removed gluten from her diet and is a managing the disease. It can also cause immune system problems.

Quote:

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that can occur in genetically predisposed people where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine. It is estimated to affect 1 in 100 people worldwide. 2.5 million Americans are undiagnosed and are at risk for long-term health complications.

More info here: What is Celiac Disease? | Celiac Disease FoundationCeliac Disease Foundation

DHau 08-21-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mssandslinger (Post 5928097)
I love that book!!

Why? Have you or anybody you know tried it?

mssandslinger 08-21-2014 08:07 PM

for over a year and a half i have cut out all processed foods. i still eat carbs so its not a non carb diet i just will have baked potatoes and nuts. The only wheat i have eaten is the spaghetti noodles i order in from Heritage Grain Conservancy they are awesome and they go over how they processe thier what and that it is not GMO. And i rarely eat that even. I have noticed how buch better i feel from not eating any processed wheat, its scary at first because you feel like there is nothing really to eat but i dont notice it anymore. everywhere i go i get lettuce wrapped everything! i dont feel bloated i dont feel sleepy. my intestines are working properly if you know what i mean lol. and in the process ive lost 15LBS and im constantly eating and i never go hungry.. ive also been juicing alot recently and its become a new favorite for breakfast!