German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Additional Parrot (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/480617-additional-parrot.html)

HarleyTheGSD 08-16-2014 08:05 PM

Additional Parrot

I've decided that I'm going to get another parrot (within the next 6-12 months).
I joined a parrot forum, and they've been incredibly helpful, but I'd like your opinions as well.
I told them what I was looking for, and they suggested a *blue and gold macaw, a *green wing macaw, *hahn's macaw, and a *conure. I'd be able to provide caging requirements for each. I'm specifically looking for a cuddly, interactive companion that does not typically bite. If you have experience with any of these birds, could you please tell me more about them? Also, feel free to make other suggestions. :)
I will be visiting a bird shop tomorrow, where I will interact with different species.

onyx'girl 08-16-2014 08:14 PM

Macaws aren't typically cuddly. Umbrella cockatoo is a nice cuddly bird(if you can deal with the dander) They are all loud. Some of the conures are sweet and enjoy snuggling. It does depend on the individual bird. If you can finish the handfeeding it will build the bond.
Though many times when birds are in breeding condition they can get aggressive.

I have a 26 yr old Congo Grey and he's really cuddly when he feels secure. I still know he could bite at any time if he feels threatened.

HarleyTheGSD 08-16-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5912225)
Macaws aren't typically cuddly. Umbrella cockatoo is a nice cuddly bird(if you can deal with the dander) They are all loud. Some of the conures are sweet and enjoy snuggling. It does depend on the individual bird. If you can finish the handfeeding it will build the bond.
Though many times when birds are in breeding condition they can get aggressive.

I have a 26 yr old Congo Grey and he's really cuddly when he feels secure. I still know he could bite at any time if he feels threatened.

Hmm. It's a bit odd that nobody on the parrot forum suggested an umbrella cockatoo. :confused: I've always thought they were gorgeous, but never knew about the cuddly nature. I hope that I'll be able to meet one tomorrow!
Also; what is your opinion on rescuing a friendly bird vs. getting a young bird? I was thinking about rescuing, but I'd love to form a bond with a baby.

onyx'girl 08-16-2014 08:34 PM

I think rescuing is important. These birds live so long, many outlive their owners.

HarleyTheGSD 08-16-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5912281)
I think rescuing is important. These birds live so long, many outlive their owners.

My cockatiel is very sassy. She bites and hisses at me when she doesn't want to be touched, which happens to be the majority of the time. :rolleyes:
Are cockatoos generally like this? Or are they attention seeking?

HarleyTheGSD 08-16-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5912281)

My cockatiel is very sassy. She bites and hisses at me when she doesn't want to be touched, which happens to be the majority of the time. :rolleyes:
Are umbrella cockatoos generally like this? Or are they attention seeking?

Caledon 08-16-2014 11:28 PM

Were you on this parrot forum?

Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

It's a good one. Several people that I have seen on here post there.

I have a young african grey. She does not cuddle me, but she does with my son. He's her person.

KentuckyFenway 08-16-2014 11:37 PM

I would think for what you're looking for a caique might fit the bill better. Super fun little dudes.

HarleyTheGSD 08-18-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caledon (Post 5912793)
Were you on this parrot forum?

Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

It's a good one. Several people that I have seen on here post there.

I have a young african grey. She does not cuddle me, but she does with my son. He's her person.

No, I'm not parrotforum.com. They've been very helpful there. :)

HarleyTheGSD 08-18-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KentuckyFenway (Post 5912849)
I would think for what you're looking for a caique might fit the bill better. Super fun little dudes.

That's a good one.
Someone also suggested a galah/rose breasted cockatoo. I'll just have to see how well I do with the different parrot species. :)