Omg - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Omg

I was watching an older movie the other night. Have any of you ever seen the movie Lady Hawke? Rutger Hauer rode the most gorgeous stallion. I looked up the notes on the movie and discovered the breed of the horse was a Friesian. Not knowing much about the breed, I looked it up. I ran across the most gorgeous animal I have ever seen; Frederick the Great. He is a famous stallion. God, I get chills watching that beautiful animal move. Check it out. www.pinnaclefriesians.com Or to watch a really good video of him just type in friesians and there is some great videos of him. I'm in love.

Last edited by Nikitta; 08-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Big horses and the ones I have seen were on the high strung side. Not for everyone but they are gorgeous and from what I understand, they are very smart.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Google Gypsy Vanner. My favorite if I am just going with looks.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just got a friesian a few weeks ago. He's so wonderful. High strung is the last thing I'd call him, he's so chill.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
I was watching an older movie the other night. Have any of you ever seen the movie Lady Hawke? Rutger Hauer rode the most gorgeous stallion. I looked up the notes on the movie and discovered the breed of the horse was a Friesian. Not knowing much about the breed, I looked it up. I ran across the most gorgeous animal I have ever seen; Frederick the Great. He is a famous stallion. God, I get chills watching that beautiful animal move. Check it out. www.pinnaclefriesians.com Or to watch a really good video of him just type in friesians and there is some great videos of him. I'm in love.
Yes, Lady Hawke was one of my favorite movies (I saw it when it was first out), and although I had loved horses since I was a child, had my own, and trained and showed professionally for years, that was the first time I had seen a Friesanl They are definitely beautiful. They were used, until most recently, for mainly driving horses, but I believe they are now being trained and ridden even for dressage. They are descendants of the Arabian through the Andalusian. I love their carriage and gaits.

Susan
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
I just got a friesian a few weeks ago. He's so wonderful. High strung is the last thing I'd call him, he's so chill.
Pictures, we want pictures!!!

Susan
Old 08-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh yeah !

I remember taking my kids to that movie . I don't remember the plot , something about shape shifting?

I do remember imagining the poster I would have created .

two images.

The MAN , The HORSE.

nothing else . Picture it .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

One of my favorite movies. Yep, the couple was cursed. She was a hawk by day and he was a wolf by night, so they never could be human at the same time. Loved it. And that was one of the most gorgeous horses!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
Yes, Lady Hawke was one of my favorite movies (I saw it when it was first out), and although I had loved horses since I was a child, had my own, and trained and showed professionally for years, that was the first time I had seen a Friesanl They are definitely beautiful. They were used, until most recently, for mainly driving horses, but I believe they are now being trained and ridden even for dressage. They are descendants of the Arabian through the Andalusian. I love their carriage and gaits.

Susan
Here he is as a spry young chap with a stupid haircut:

Here he is the other day with some nice muddy legs haha:

Here he is with my mom riding him for the first time:

He's my first horse. He's such a big sweetie pie. He really likes people and follows everyone around, you don't even need a halter to lead him around. He seems to be a big wuss with the horses though. The horses in the pasture kept chasing him around so my trainer put him in the paddock with her horses/ponies, but one of her ponies kept chasing him too. Pretty hilarious to think of a huge friesian getting bullied by a tiny pony.

I haven't had him very long but so far no complaints! He's an easy keeper and has a wonderful personality. I have a mane bag coming in the mail to help him grow his mane out so he can have the pretty friesian mane.

I've never seen lady hawke, maybe I'll have to download it and watch it. I'm only 25 so the first movie I saw with a friesian was Zorro.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Oh yeah !

I remember taking my kids to that movie . I don't remember the plot , something about shape shifting?

I do remember imagining the poster I would have created .

two images.

The MAN , The HORSE.

nothing else . Picture it .
LOL, Carmen--I CAN picture that, except the concept of the movie was that because of a curse, during the night the man turned into a wolf, and during the day, his lover was a lady hawk, one that he carried and hunted with. The Friesan was his horse that he rode throughout the movie--I don't remember whether the woman rode the horse while she was human and he was a wolf? I'll have to look it up!

Funny, I was thinking about that movie recently, because our lot has a lot of tall trees on it, and a couple of merlin hawks have taken up residence here. They are the hawks that in the middle ages were called "lady hawks" because those are the hawks that the women of wealth and good breeding hunted with. They're smaller than red-tailed hawks, but fierce and strong.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.