Update! Also, cat question! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Caitlin
Default Update! Also, cat question!

Hello all! It's been a busy summer for us so far.

Firstly, we moved. Not to another city, actually just a mile and a half north of our old place in DC to a new apartment. It's AMAZING. Central air and heat (haven't had that since 2010), real fancy appliances, huge ceilings, a skylight, a few custom blackboard walls you can write on, a jacuzzi bathtub, private balcony, hardwood floors throughout, I mean this place has the works.

Secondly, our Akita we adopted has turned out to be an AWESOME dog. He is just a big baby. I am still not sure how old he is, the shelter said he was 2, my vet said between 1 and 2, and lots of our friends think he has more growing to do but I just think he's a small Akita (80 lbs). We did find out the hard way that he is a total counter surfer/ trash eater when we're gone. So we bought locking trashcans (lifesavers) and just keep the counter clear. When we were moving he ate an entire bag of coffee grounds, and then threw it all up.

Here he is chilling in our new place while the hubby cooks:

Getting picked up by the only one of our friends who can pick him up:

Checking out the balcony with our cat:

Exploring Rock Creek Park a couple of days ago:

I still miss having a GSD and definitely plan on getting one later down the road, but I do love my Akita.

Third, we gave away our other cat. The kitten we named Rhaegar. When we adopted him we lived with a roommate (my hubby's best friend) and that little cat bonded to our roommate way more than with us, and they sort of fell in love. After a month of deliberation before we moved we decided to let him keep him (he has asked to keep him multiple times but I had been unsure). I just didn't want to tear them apart. That little cat follows him EVERYWHERE like a puppy. At least he is with one of our friends so I can keep track of him, plus I can sleep easy knowing he'll never be outdoors or abandoned. I miss him but I feel like it was the right decision.

Fouth, and this is my "cat question" our older cat that we've had for years attacks our Akita every single time I play with him. Does anyone know why he is doing this? It started happening before we moved so I don't think it's moving stress. He used to do the same thing to Mali (our GSD) when I would clip her toenails and she would whine and lightly nip at me. Now every single time I "play rough" with our Akita he runs over growling and bites our Akita on his butt or back legs and grabs him. Our Akita never reacts, just lowers his tail, looks scared, and stops playing and a quick "NO!" towards the cat gets him to go away. I really want to know why he is doing this. Any ideas? It's annoying, I'd like to play with the dog without interference.

Thanks!

Mali - Long Coat GSD - 10/14/03 - 10/28/13

caitlindwarf

Last edited by Caitlin; 07-11-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Caitlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have been wondering how your Akita was doing The photos are lovely. Very thoughtful and wise of you to give he kitty away who as so attached to your friend. I am sure your friend is very grateful and relieved. I know how he feels. I took care of a friend's son's cat one summer and at the end of the summer the cat didn't want to leave and I did want to keep him but understood. When the time came for them to pick up the cat - he ran hissing and yowling up to the top of cat tree. They decided to leave him with me. For the kitty that is staying with you and his behavior when you are playing rough with your dog it seems to me that he is protecting you. That is some cat - taking on an Akita and luckily your Akita is a sweetie. What I would do is not to play rough with the Akita indoor with the cat. But you could try indoor fetching with a soft ball - I had a cat who loved to fetch - my husky refused - but the cat loved it. At least that game should not upset the cat.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My first thoughts are usually the cat perceives an unstable dog and thus the behaviour...clearly this is not the case.

Do you have a cat tree? Don't know if that would help but it can't hurt.

You have to stop "antagonising" the cat as it were...yeah I know but who knows what a cat thinks??? The dog might decide one day that he has had enough of this crap!!! Game on!

Have the dog at your side and engage the cat with something like this:
PURRfect Cat Toy Wands |Cat Toys at DrsFosterSmith.com

I'd keep a blanket or towel near by to throw on the cat in case the cat decides to redirect his attention from the toy to the dog!!! It's a cat..so yeah.

And a baby gate and food. Start at 5 feet or so for the cat and the dog and start feeding them together but "separate!" And slowly move the food bowels together so that eventually they will eat inches apart from the gate.

You can see the potential for problems with that approach..so preceded with due caution if you chose to try it!

I would not feed my GSD close to my cats, he gets cranky when they walk by his dish but he won't eat if I stand by him either! But he eats on the floor and the cats eat on the table that's fine with him.

But see how close they can get together with the baby gate, if they can get close enough to relax and eat, you could just switch up and go high/low.

Never did any of that myself but if I had your problem, that's how I would precede. Hope some of it helps?

Last edited by Chip18; 07-11-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.