German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Where do you find motivation? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/468202-where-do-you-find-motivation.html)

Zeeva 07-07-2014 11:10 PM

Where do you find motivation?

It's summer so I'm not teach and I've opted out of finding a job.

I do have to work on my thesis and analyze a ton of data for it.

My days are filled with literally nothing to do. And still, I can't find motivation to work on it. It's important. I actually recently was chastised by my professor for not putting forth enough effort in my work.

So can you help me figure out where to find motivation? Where do you find it when you feel like you're slacking off?

blehmannwa 07-08-2014 02:26 AM

It just has to be done. Don't let it become overwhelming, just work on it for a bit each day--even 15 minutes at a time. You will feel better and make progress.

llombardo 07-08-2014 02:35 AM

Music. Whenever I start listening to music I tend to get moving.

viking 07-08-2014 02:52 AM

The inevitable crushing reality that you completely ruined your own life by acting like a spoiled wastrel ought to do it! If not, try:

My contribution will be unbelievably important about a hundred years after I'm gone. The world's very fabric will be saved by what I contributed. Or this analogy:

Student: Master, how do I reach enlightenment?
Master: Chop wood, carry water.

Student: I have reached enlightenment! What do I do now?

Or this: You have a purpose in this world that you may never be made aware of. See that your actions are respectable, honorable.

counter 07-08-2014 03:04 AM

Starbucks Frappuccinos...lots of them!?!

No? OK.

How about chipping away at your work in moderation, doing a little at a time, leaving to do something fun LIKE PLAYING WITH YOUR DOG, then returning to do a little more. It will give you that sense of accomplishment with each little bit you knock out, and you get breaks in between. Things go by a lot easier when handled with moderation, versus looking up at the top of the mountain from the bottom and feeling overwhelmed. Climb a little...rest...climb some more...rest...repeat until you make it to the top. Once there, coming down is the easy part. Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellimaybel 07-08-2014 04:08 AM

My faith is strong so I find my motivation outdoors. I look around at all that has been created and I think to myself... If God can do all of this, then certainly I can handle my small project, trial, whatever.

JakodaCD OA 07-08-2014 07:56 AM

My motivation is because I "have to"..

I don't have time to feel sorry for myself, I have animals that depend on me, people that depend on me.

I am also reminded that others have it worse off than me, and I'm grateful for what I have.

It may not be motivation per se, but it keeps me going and doing what I have to do.

When all else fails, I'm with Elliemaybel, just go outside and look around.

wolfy dog 07-08-2014 02:06 PM

If you have nothing to do, find something to do, like working on your thesis and turn off this forum for a while. If my kids asked me this question, I would put them to work immediately but then they were teens at that time.... It took care of the boredom instantly.

Baillif 07-08-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viking (Post 5747386)
The inevitable crushing reality that you completely ruined your own life by acting like a spoiled wastrel ought to do it! If not, try:

My contribution will be unbelievably important about a hundred years after I'm gone. The world's very fabric will be saved by what I contributed. Or this analogy:

Student: Master, how do I reach enlightenment?

Student: I have reached enlightenment! What do I do now?

Or this: You have a purpose in this world that you may never be made aware of. See that your actions are respectable, honorable.

Or you can get scientific about it and come to the soul crushing realization that you're just an infinitesimally small speck in an ever expanding universe that will eventually reach maximum entropy and die along with everything in it making everything you did do or will do completely meaningless and futile when all is said and done. You could be a saint or a sinner or a third world dictator and it would all end the exact same way.

Unless of course the universe collapses in on itself instead in which case everything is incinerated, but I suppose all of the nothing really matters part is still true.

ayoitzrimz 07-08-2014 03:04 PM

Fear of failure and competitiveness drive me. Everything I do is driven by those things and I accomplished a ton thanks to them.

Just being honest here