German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Kitten?? :D (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/467777-kitten-d.html)

HarleyTheGSD 07-06-2014 11:59 PM

Kitten?? :D

1 Attachment(s)
Earlier today, my boyfriend found a tiny kitten in our yard. I'd say it's about 6-7 weeks old. It's super affectionate, and I am already in love. :)

It seemed to have been outside for a few days, for it was very thin, had a few ticks, and had gunk stuck to it's eyes, nose, and mouth. My mother and I gave him a bath with flea and tick shampoo and picked the ticks off, so he's looking much better now.

I've never been crazy about cats (hardcore dog lover), but I really love this thing. I've asked all my neighbors if it's theirs, and it's not. I'm considering keeping it.
There are three dogs in the house, two of them have absolutely no issue with the kitten. Varick wants to eat it (I think...). He doesn't bark or growl, but he jumps up trying to get near it.

My parents have had two cats when I was a toddler, but I have never cared for my own cat.
Any tips? Comments? :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Pax8 07-07-2014 02:02 AM

33 Attachment(s)
I love kitty cats! :D If I wasn't allergic, or could find one that didn't trigger allergic reactions (and that my roommate didn't hate...not a cat lover...so many caveats) then I would get one. Of course, the obvious, I probably wouldn't leave it alone with the dogs or without supervision. But most times, it's pretty simple to teach a dog to leave a cat alone if Varick gets a little too interested. Plus a kitten raised at a young age with dogs is far more like to get along with them than an older cat.

I say if you like the kitty, feel like you can provide for him, and he needs a home, go for it! :wub:

Pax8 07-07-2014 02:05 AM

33 Attachment(s)
Oh, and if you find something the kitten goes nuts for like fresh or freeze-dried chicken, cats can totally be clicker trained to do tricks. It's pretty fun, and can be a good challenge. One of my past cats I taught to sit, down, play dead, high five, sneeze, jump on my shoulder, retrieve a ball, rollover, and heel with a clicker and some chicken.

HarleyTheGSD 07-07-2014 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax8 (Post 5740881)
I love kitty cats! :D If I wasn't allergic, or could find one that didn't trigger allergic reactions (and that my roommate didn't hate...not a cat lover...so many caveats) then I would get one. Of course, the obvious, I probably wouldn't leave it alone with the dogs or without supervision. But most times, it's pretty simple to teach a dog to leave a cat alone if Varick gets a little too interested. Plus a kitten raised at a young age with dogs is far more like to get along with them than an older cat.

I say if you like the kitty, feel like you can provide for him, and he needs a home, go for it! :wub:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited. :D
I'm not even sure if I can keep it though...see, I'm only 18, and just graduated from high school this year. I'm currently trying to find a job. It is SO difficult.:mad:
My dad made me a deal; if I find a job within a week, I get to keep the cat. If I don't, I have to take it to the shelter. I'm crossing my fingers! :D

HarleyTheGSD 07-07-2014 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax8 (Post 5740897)
Oh, and if you find something the kitten goes nuts for like fresh or freeze-dried chicken, cats can totally be clicker trained to do tricks. It's pretty fun, and can be a good challenge. One of my past cats I taught to sit, down, play dead, high five, sneeze, jump on my shoulder, retrieve a ball, rollover, and heel with a clicker and some chicken.

Very interesting. I'll have to try that!
Thanks! :)