German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Significant other vs. Dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/467609-significant-other-vs-dogs.html)

HarleyTheGSD 07-06-2014 02:10 PM

Significant other vs. Dogs

Do you place the care/love/importance/closeness of your dog(s) over your significant other? Who's company do you tend to value more?

dogfaeries 07-06-2014 02:17 PM

I guess if I didn't really, really enjoy the company of my (longtime) boyfriend, I'd prefer my dog Sage, LOL. I have a great relationship with him though, and he is absolutely crazy about the dogs, so it's a win-win situation at my house.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 07-06-2014 02:18 PM

For me its totally different.The dogs and I explore the woods, play fetch but its what and when I want to play or cuddle and their happy. Its a nice non verbal what you want to-do Mom relationship. Hubby its more verbal ;ok not by much but its different . There are different expectations ,different payoffs or rewards. They are different . I value both and need both.my life w/ out either would not be complete. Although it would be great if my wishes were always what we did that would be so great .Oh yeah he's not a dog .Guess I need them both.

Steve Strom 07-06-2014 02:18 PM

Absolutely my wife of course. Who would ever choose to spend more time with the dumb dog? Yep. Wife first. Always. Nooot even close.

simba405 07-06-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD (Post 5738297)
Do you place the care/love/importance/closeness of your dog(s) over your significant other? Who's company do you tend to value more?

Is this a serious question?

Pax8 07-06-2014 02:27 PM

I guess that depends on how significant you mean. Boyfriends/girlfriends for me can come and go. My dog is going to be with me for the next 14+ years. That's longer than a majority of marriages in my family, lol. While I do care about people I am involved with if there is a major issue I might be more likely to put care of the dog first. For example if we move, the dog WILL come with us. I will not move someplace with a significant other if the dog cannot come. If it is between paying a bill on time and getting important vet care for my dog, my dog WILL get his vet care. Things like that.

As far as general love/affection/etc...? Don't tell my exes, but my dog was generally a way better cuddler! :p For now, I have pretty much always valued my time with my dogs over any person. I've had people I cared very deeply about. But I just don't connect well with people and have always felt more comfortable around animals.

I don't know how much that would change if I had a married partner. It would take a very intense amount of comfort and connection for me to want to marry someone, and I just haven't felt that with anyone yet. Maybe if I find someone I care about enough to want to marry, it will be equal? :crazy:

Audie1 07-06-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom (Post 5738337)
Guess I need them both.

Heh! :)

angelas 07-06-2014 02:29 PM

I can say without any doubt if a SO gave me an ultimatum of him or the dogs...it wouldn't be the dogs sitting on the curb.

lauren43 07-06-2014 02:35 PM

Significant other vs. Dogs

I've always struggled in the past with the SO not liking dogs as much as I do. As the person above me said if it ever came down to him or the dog(s) I'd always pick the dog(s)..

Perhaps that's why I'm single lmao.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Audie1 07-06-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simba405 (Post 5738409)
Is this a serious question?

Lighten up, Francis.