German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Why commands in diff languages (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/467409-why-commands-diff-languages.html)

lalachka 07-05-2014 08:58 PM

Why commands in diff languages

Why do people use german for commands? Or any language for that matter. Seems like a show off

gsdsar 07-05-2014 09:10 PM

I use a mix of both languages. I started my first GSD in German, cause that's what I was taught at the SchH club I belonged to. And it just became natural to me.

So now I use German for SchH related things and English for SAR things.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

glowingtoadfly 07-05-2014 09:12 PM

We started using German with Grim and Skadi after we started taking them to Schutzhund. Even if neither of them gets very far, I like the sound of it. Of course, we still use English for some things, like "spin" and "touch".

Steve Strom 07-05-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lalachka (Post 5735225)
Why do people use german for commands? Or any language for that matter. Seems like a show off

Well, that's why I do it. I'm very proud of how I can enunciate platz. Lol.

lalachka 07-05-2014 09:13 PM

I use russian with some english, because some words are easier in English (yes, out) but really russian is my native language. So I guess I'm a show off for using the English words lol

I didn't mean to offend anyone

Cheyanna 07-05-2014 09:15 PM

I must be a show off then, because I use German, English, Spanish & Russian. Funny thing is I only speak English and know a handful of words in the other languages. It is just what came out of my mouth at the time I started a new command. For example, when I want her to look at me, I say Mira. It is shorter than "look at me."

lalachka 07-05-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 5735297)
Well, that's why I do it. I'm very proud of how I can enunciate platz. Lol.

Actually, I thought of you before posting. And I def didn't mean to offend you. Sorry, lol, I'm cranky sometimes

misslesleedavis1 07-05-2014 09:19 PM

I love the way german sounds it is sexy!

lalachka 07-05-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheyanna (Post 5735321)
I must be a show off then, because I use German, English, Spanish & Russian. Funny thing is I only speak English and know a handful of words in the other languages. It is just what came out of my mouth at the time I started a new command. For example, when I want her to look at me, I say Mira. It is shorter than "look at me."

Yeah I can understand that part. Some words don't sound distinct enough. Like the YES marker, in Russian it's DA, it almost gets lost pronouncing.

But then for sit, I like the Russian version better. I'm just more comfortable speaking russian, like I talk to him in Russian and using English for commands and switching back and forth would be confusing for me.

lalachka 07-05-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 (Post 5735353)
I love the way german sounds it is sexy!

I knew I can count on you))))))
I'm still enjoying your 'I can hear the tubes tying from here' comment)))))))))