Why commands in diff languages - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
Actually, I thought of you before posting. And I def didn't mean to offend you. Sorry, lol, I'm cranky sometimes
Lol, I don't offend. I'm just kidding around.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Because there are working words and regular house manner words. Platz means perfect position. Down means lay down however you want. Foos means focused heeling with perfect head and body position. Heel means loose leash walking. You don't want to use the same words or else dog can be confused or positions become sloppy

Also all the other pet dogs are impressed with mine because he knows two languages. He gets all the cute golden retriever chicks.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

LOL Simba. You could breed hybrids.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
Because there are working words and regular house manner words. Platz means perfect position. Down means lay down however you want. Foos means focused heeling with perfect head and body position. Heel means loose leash walking. You don't want to use the same words or else dog can be confused or positions become sloppy

Also all the other pet dogs are impressed with mine because he knows two languages. He gets all the cute golden retriever chicks.
I know there has to be diff commands for working and every day versions but figured people just use diff words.

Lol @ the bilingual dog scoring chicks
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Good you don't have anything against a hot GRT babe.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sport commands are used in a different language to keep them "pure". Regular house and pet obedience is done in english for me but the sport commands are in french.

If i am being informal and tell my dog to lay down if i have to repeat it i dont really care. He can go down and roll on his back or flop a hip and i dont care. If i use a sport command it isnt repeated and if its refused there will be a consequence. The criteria for them is different in that they have to be gymnastically correct.

Sport commands are holy. You hear it you do it and its non negotiable. House commands are enforced but for me tend to be more lax. Around the house im not super strict. We have certain rituals but for the most part its relaxed. If outside and hes off leash and i need control fast in an unexpected situation my mondioring commands can bring him into control very quickly but usually we keep things loose.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post

Exactly this. I like having casual commands and working commands separate as well because then working commands aren't going to be poisoned in any way.

My roommate often walks or plays with Kaiju, and he uses the English commands for the every day. Kaiju will follow them, but there's just not really the snap or urgency of a working command. Plus, as much as I like my roommate, bless his heart, I couldn't see him ever training a dog. He just has terrible timing and gets distracted so easily. If I didn't know better, I'd almost think Kaiju listened to him more to humor him than anything else.

But that's the main difference. Kaiju hears down, he settles into an easy down. He hears "platz", he hits the deck and is primed for whatever's next.
Pax8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Same reason as others say. I was already using Heel for a regular loose leash heeling, so started using Foos for the eye-contact competition heel.

I was using Down for the down command, but find that Platz comes our easier, and sounds clear and sharp, so I used that for formal obedience.

I use other commands in German because that is what I was taught at my SchH club, and I'm too lazy to think up an English equivalent.

I've started using some French commands for some of the Rally-O exercises to keep them separate from the commands we already know for SchH.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

OK, so now I understand this concept and will do pet stuff with English and competition stuff with German.. That is if we decide to ever compete.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Why commands in diff languages

I understand the need to differentiate between formal heel and street heel or any formal and every day command. I guess I was wondering why not use two diff words in the same language. For example, down and lay, heel and with me, etc

Forgive my 'showing off' comment. That was mean. But I'm still wondering))))))

Last edited by lalachka; 07-05-2014 at 10:36 PM.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.