Fireworks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Default Fireworks

I live in an area where anyone can shoot off fireworks & firecrackers. Fiona was crying earlier and I thought she was scared of the noise. I went out to check on the chickens and Fiona went with me. She was crying, because she wanted to play with her flirt pole that we keep out in the shed. Good girl! She got her wish. We played and played and the rockets red glare ...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mystique has done wonderfully for her 1st fireworks extravaganza. They've been going off now for about 4 hours and I've treated it as business as usual. We've played ball, gone out to potty, had some cuddle time and OB training. She's been a very good girl. The most she's done is twitch an ear when there's been an exceptionally loud boom. What a trooper!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog trainer friend asked me if my dogs will have a problem with the fireworks tonight. LOL I live on 2 busy streets a block from the railroad tracks. NOTHING scares my dogs.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

When the fireworks first started Kaleb looked up at me. He barked twice. I said "listen (which means focus on me, sometimes I say look, if I want him to actually look at me.), it's ok." He went to sleep after that. He hasn't even reacted to the really loud ones.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just recently adopted my GSD, so tonight was the first night with loud noises. We had a pretty bad thunderstorm and fireworks when the rain let up. Miranda was hiding under my bed most of the night. Poor girl.
MirandaPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was concerned because Tasha freaks at thunderstorms and this would be Dudes first go around with loud booms and he is already somewhat fearful. I was ready with Indiana Jones and my surround sound. I find if I turn up the t.v. they don't hear what is going on outside and the t.v. doesn't scare anyone. Surprisingly no one was breaking the law in my area last night. I didn't hear one boom. Probably because the fire danger is so high. No one wants to accidentally burn anything down.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I was outside tugging with him in the park and he didn't let go of the tug. I guess I'm surprised. He shies away from loud buses and trucks though they're 3 ft away from us. Maybe that's why
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
I was outside tugging with him in the park and he didn't let go of the tug. I guess I'm surprised. He shies away from loud buses and trucks though they're 3 ft away from us. Maybe that's why
D's breeder exposes them to gun shots so D only looked up at me and went back to sleep. But that was also his day of "being in the dog house" too and he was already focused on me after a day of hard work with him.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
D's breeder exposes them to gun shots so D only looked up at me and went back to sleep. But that was also his day of "being in the dog house" too and he was already focused on me after a day of hard work with him.
My dog was fine with noises until I listened to some dumb trainer and used a penny can. I think I used it 3 times and he started being scared of buses and trucks.

That's why I'm so careful in who I listen to these days. Nothing about training is common sense. Things that sound good are usually not and vice versa. At least to me.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default Fireworks

There is something to be said about sound training advice. Some dogs are super sensitive and all it takes is one bad experience to alter their opinion of strangers or sounds or kids or any stimuli..

I know I let little kids be too rough with Lincoln and now he's nervous around them. So I have to make sure they are treating him properly and that they always have food (anyone can win him over with food)...

This is the reason I want a dog with good nerves. One bad experience will not effect him/her for life..we can deal and move on.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lauren43 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.