German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Worms in Bird food! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/467105-worms-bird-food.html)

HarleyTheGSD 07-04-2014 07:54 PM

Worms in Bird food!

I am extremely freaked out and worried:shocked:. A few minutes ago, I opened the plastic bag of bird seed, getting ready to scoop some into her feeder. I then noticed that there were "webs" covering the inside of the bag. There were "cocoons" covered in these webs. I poked at them, trying to figure out what they could be...then I saw a very tiny worm burrowing into the seed!! :eek: :sick:

I feel awful that I didn't notice this sooner. :( But it couldn't have been visible for more than a few days.
The worm was smaller than the length of a fingernail, maybe half the length. It appeared to be a pale greenish color. It looks like a maggot.
I'm obviously going to throw this food out, but I'm wondering how the heck they got in there?! What exactly are they? Has anybody else had this happen?
And most importantly, should I contact an avian vet?
Please help! :help::confused:

llombardo 07-04-2014 08:06 PM

Maybe some kind of moisture? I had a sealed bag of grass seed and when I opened it, grass was already growing in the bag. Never seen that before either. Maybe contact them to see if they can explain the why or how?

carmspack 07-04-2014 08:10 PM

india meal moths .

birds will eat them -- but you don't want them in the house , put bag of seed in freezer and that will take care of them.

HarleyTheGSD 07-04-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5731329)
Maybe some kind of moisture? I had a sealed bag of grass seed and when I opened it, grass was already growing in the bag. Never seen that before either. Maybe contact them to see if they can explain the why or how?

There's no way moisture could have gotten into the bag. It's always been in a dry place. Unless something happened at the pet shop? I think I will contact them, just to be sure.
Thanks!

HarleyTheGSD 07-04-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5731361)
india meal moths .

birds will eat them -- but you don't want them in the house , put bag of seed in freezer and that will take care of them.

Ahh, okay.
I will put the next bag of seed in the freezer.
Thank you!

carmspack 07-04-2014 08:33 PM

Indian Meal Moth

HarleyTheGSD 07-04-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5731489)

Thanks for posting the link!

onyx'girl 07-04-2014 09:01 PM

Yep, harmless as long as they don't take over the world. Extra protein! They creep me out and I don't buy seed or pellets in bulk quantity(but do buy from the bulk bins in the stores. I went into our shed today where we keep the chicken feed and there were moths in there. As long as it is outside, ok....

HarleyTheGSD 07-04-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5731689)
Yep, harmless as long as they don't take over the world. Extra protein! They creep me out and I don't buy seed or pellets in bulk quantity(but do buy from the bulk bins in the stores. I went into our shed today where we keep the chicken feed and there were moths in there. As long as it is outside, ok....

Lol. Thank you.
I was beginning to think that I was neglecting a big issue.
Well, I already threw the bird seed away, but I'll keep this in mind for future reference.

lorihd@comcast.net 07-04-2014 11:30 PM

I buy my birds abba bird seed, it comes in vacuum sealed bags. the agway that I purchase it from always has them frozen. Those little moths are difficult to get rid of.