Thinking about poverty. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Thinking about poverty.

I'm just kind of troubled by something and can't really discuss it with my meat friends because they would just tell me how nice I am...lol.

I live in a middle to upper middle class neighborhood. There are some large lakefront homes and further away from the lake are more modest places. Across the street from me is a rental that the same retired guy has lived in for 13 years. Recently he got a roommate with a service dog--another senior guy with a senior dog.

I had a big party on Sunday and actually ended up with too much food. This is garbage day and I went to toss the leftovers and realized that there were a lot--more than my husband and I could eat and aside from the sandwiches that may be a little soggy it was mostly preserved meats and cheeses. It was a fully loaded Costco tray.

So I thought maybe my neighbors would like it but I was worried that it may be rude to foist off 3 day old leftovers. I have given them desserts in the past though and they could always say "No."

So I brought it to them. The first thing the man said was "I just had to put food back!" I didn't get it at first but he explained that he had run out of foodstamps and didn't have money for meat. He was beyond grateful and asked for some bags so he could portion and store the food. When I brought the bags, they were all enjoying the food and the dog was having some roast beef.

It just strikes me that there can be such a disparity in such a small area. Plus I had no idea that their straits were so bad. I see them fishing at the lake a lot but I gather its not just for fun but protein as well.

I'm glad that I gave them the food and I'll try to remember how lucky I am. I spent some time on food stamps and almost homeless in my teens. I don't think most people noticed. I'm going to try to more aware.

It makes me especially happy that the dog got the first piece of roast beef.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

you are great. Like really amazing! I am very sure you gained a great friend when you did that .

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks. I hope so. I really like my neighborhood and we all try to watch out for each other.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I understand the feeling. I have been lucky to get a good job out of the military and continued to have a successful career while finishing college and graduate school. While I wouldn't say I am rich, my family is comfortable and we live in a nice house in one of the nicer neighborhoods in town. We try to give back to individuals or individual organizations as much as possible. I have never been as big of a fan donating to large charities and prefer giving to someone or something that we are able to see the direct benefit. It is hard sometimes because my siblings and my wife's siblings are not as "stable" as we are but won't accept any help if we offer it.

When we made the decision to get GSD, I told her I wanted to buy a purebred, from a reputable breeder (My previous GSD's have been either rescue or BYB). She was hesitant spending the money it costs for puppy like that not because we couldn't afford it but because of what other's would think about it. I told her we didn't need to share how much we spent, just that we got a new puppy. There has already been some rumblings in the family, I think, and it really upsets me. I guess there is nothing I can do about it except move forward and keep helping others when I can.

That is awesome that your neighbors accepted that food and were so grateful. It is such a wonderful feeling to be able to help someone out and that little deed can go a long way! One of the things I am looking into doing with my dog is search and rescue and possibly use my investment to help others in need! Time will tell, 6 more weeks until we bring the little girl home.
taytay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We do that in our neighborhood too, I would say its middle class but since my town is considered rich even the 1950's style house I live in is appraised at 400,000. We are pretty much a solid little street, everyone is friendly and helpful.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

TayTay--I understand about buying a purebred. But even purebreds need good homes. A very wealthy local family uses the same breeder that we did. We often tease Havoc that he got stuck with the "poor" family.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

He gave the dog food first. Right there. I'd trust this guy with my bank codes. He mentioned that he had to put food back, so hunger or the specter of hunger was lurking in his mind, BUT he fed his dog before he dug into the unexpected bounty. I would be sorely tempted to find out what he feeds and drop 50 pounds or so off at thanksgiving or Christmas this year, ease the burden a bit. Make the card out with yer dog(s) names.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That is a great idea!

Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Between buying fuel or food, people cannot make ends meet. I'm happy you chose to ask your neighbors if they'd enjoy the food(as you said, they could always say no)
There is an ad running on my local radio and tv stations about hunger. You never know who is hurting so badly they can't feed themselves or their pets.
Feeding America isn't doing enough, I get past sale date meat from a big box to feed my dogs. It supposedly isn't taken by Feed America even though it looks very fresh and safe. My dogs probably eat better than many people. At least what I'm giving them isn't ending up in the landfills, but it could go to people instead of animals.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I dont know what food stamps are but is there food give aways? We have food bank places here, if you go you get groceries no questions asked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.