Thinking about poverty. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Brembo--good idea! Of course food stamps don't cover dog food and he did tell me that the dog has a sensitive stomach--I think he is about 16 years old. But can't sign my dog's names--my dogs hate the dog! They can see him from the windows and think that all that they survey is theirs! They are getting better though--just not used to having a new dog.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's great you were able to overcome the hesitation and give them the food, sounds as though they really appreciated it.

Sounds like you live in a pretty economically diverse area, my neighborhood is middle to lower income, something like 60% home ownership. One neighbor, a woman with 3 kids (husband deserted) works her butt off trying to make ends, gets assistance and deserves all the help she can get. My youngest 2, boy and girl are just slightly older and have more than enough shoes, clothes, and toys. Beside what we buy them, they get stuff from my other family members, so we turn over a good amount it to her, she's happy to have it and were happy we can help in some way. I think there are probably a number of things we may be ready to discard that someone else may value.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Misslesleedavis...food stamps are a govt. program for low income folk. You are given a certain amount of money on a card and can buy food with it--not toilet paper, dog food, cigarettes or booze--just food--but any kind that you want. Discussions about this program tend to get heated though so lets leave it at that.

I looked up Whitby! It looks lovely.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh sorry here if you apply for something called social assistance you get 980.00 a month if you are a single parent, that is not alot of money but if you are on social assistance it means you are qualified to get the highest child rax credit which is 400- usually its enough to cover the basics, rent abd grocery. Google map brooklin ontario that is were I am!

Lots of great supportive programs offered but what really hits home is the people in a community, I worked with a girl who organized a whole winter coat drive she was amazing!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by misslesleedavis1; 07-02-2014 at 07:54 PM.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think it's great you thought of them and offered the food. Heck, my husband and I are not poor but we take leftovers from family all the time! If someone else wants to eat it, I say let them My aunt is known for preparing a HUGE meal and dumping everything as people leave, stuff that was just made that day. We always hover around and take stuff, even stuff we don't like but our dogs will eat. I imagine for someone that is truly hungry and doesn't have the option of buying groceries or seeing some leftovers as a nice bonus, it's a very nice gesture to offer the food. They can always refuse!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My church has a 'clothes closet' the first Saturday of every month. Anyone can come in and get free clothing, bedding, outerwear. It fills up our whole sanctuary and side halls with all the 'free stuff'. There is always help available, but it is never enough. We are also alerted if a tragedy strike(fire/flood) and will help families get emergency clothing or bedding.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 07-02-2014 at 08:03 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
My church has a 'clothes closet' the first Saturday of every month. Anyone can come in and get free clothing, bedding, outerwear. It fills up our whole sanctuary and side halls with all the 'free stuff'. There is always help available, but it is never enough.
I like this! I download lots of last years clothes to churches, also winter stuff like snowboards, crazy carpets , sleds , bicycles well maintained furniture if its in good shape and we do not use it, it goes to a home were someone will use it.

misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehmannwa View Post
I'm just kind of troubled by something and can't really discuss it with my meat friends because they would just tell me how nice I am...lol.

I live in a middle to upper middle class neighborhood. There are some large lakefront homes and further away from the lake are more modest places. Across the street from me is a rental that the same retired guy has lived in for 13 years. Recently he got a roommate with a service dog--another senior guy with a senior dog.

I had a big party on Sunday and actually ended up with too much food. This is garbage day and I went to toss the leftovers and realized that there were a lot--more than my husband and I could eat and aside from the sandwiches that may be a little soggy it was mostly preserved meats and cheeses. It was a fully loaded Costco tray.

So I thought maybe my neighbors would like it but I was worried that it may be rude to foist off 3 day old leftovers. I have given them desserts in the past though and they could always say "No."

So I brought it to them. The first thing the man said was "I just had to put food back!" I didn't get it at first but he explained that he had run out of foodstamps and didn't have money for meat. He was beyond grateful and asked for some bags so he could portion and store the food. When I brought the bags, they were all enjoying the food and the dog was having some roast beef.

It just strikes me that there can be such a disparity in such a small area. Plus I had no idea that their straits were so bad. I see them fishing at the lake a lot but I gather its not just for fun but protein as well.

I'm glad that I gave them the food and I'll try to remember how lucky I am. I spent some time on food stamps and almost homeless in my teens. I don't think most people noticed. I'm going to try to more aware.

It makes me especially happy that the dog got the first piece of roast beef.
What a great person.

We live in a moderate level income area, what I refer to as the new middle class. Everyone that I know on our street is not well off but seem to make ends meet. So the opportunity here to do what you have done is zero and we try to cook accordingly and not have any or little waist. Most go to work the next day or a snack for later. I have been known to pay for peoples dinners when out eating dinner ourselves though. I try to target young families. I do it because we were young with kids once and it's tough even when you have enough, it's barely enough.

jafo220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think that is a wonderful story and a good reminder that things are not always what they seem. It very rarely hurts to pay it forward

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Looks like a lot of people on this forum are good souls!
When I was a young Mom, I went to Wendys--a fast food chain--with my Mother and toddler. We had our meals and there were a lot of fries left on the tray. There was a man nursing a cup of coffee at a nearby table. My Mom took the tray and asked if he wanted it. I was so embarrassed! What a presumption! The man thanked her and devoured the fries.

I asked my Mom who she knew that he would want those. She told me that she grew up on an Ohio farm in the Great Depression and many people would show up at their door asking for work or food. She said that hunger had a certain look. I've thought of that moment a lot over the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.