deppressed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs down deppressed

Well, a lot has been going on in my life lately. Stuff to do with my mom, Jaxx, two really close friends that I have known forever moving and more... but I will not keep going on and on about that.
I was talking to a close friend the other day, and before I realized it I was talking about everything that has gone wrong in my life.... I'm usually a very happy person. Now, I feel really stressed out, I get mad at people really easy, and I feel like I cant do anything about what is happening right now like I am just.. I don't know, helpless. (please PM me if you want to know more)
anyways, I looked up a depression test (yes I know that just a few tests doesn't mean you actually have depression) and here are my results~
major depression: high
dysthymia: high-moderate
bipolar disorder: high
Cyclothymia: extremely high
seasonal affective disorder: slight-moderate
This kinda scared me... should I go to the doctor?
I really need people to talk to. My only friend that seems to care is moving soon
Jaxx's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You may be depressed in the moment, but not clinically depressed. It is NORMAL to feel sad once in a while, although our society wants you to think otherwise.

If you can answer yes to, " do you feel like hurting yourself or others" then get off the internet and seek medical help. Otherwise go take your GSD for some long hikes and increase your endorphins - Exercise and Depression: Endorphins, Reducing Stress, and More

Take care of yourself, eat well, sleep well, treat yourself. The biggest comfort for me is my faith (Christianity) , its one of those things your not supposed to talk about like politics, but if you do need to talk with someone, try a faith based counselor. Although things have gone wrong, you have several opportunities in the future for right things to happen. Focus ahead, not behind.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Gretchen gave you a lot of really great tips. I know when I was growing up, depending on how my life was going I had times when I got a little sad, but there was always something that came to help turn things around, or help me see past it. I have always been a strong person, always one that didn't want to have help, that wanted to do it on my own.

Last year was a very bad year. Any time that I started to get myself back on track again, something came along and slammed me down farther and farther each time. Personal and professional. It got to where I didn't want to do anything, where I was spending a lot of time staring at nothing and just feeling empty. Then what really scared me and finally got me to realize I simply couldn't beat it any longer were the thoughts about what I could do to hurt myself. Thoughts that just came up sporadically and I couldn't stop them.

I realized that I needed help and I needed something drastic to change in my life if I wanted to get better. I have no reason to feel depressed. I have wonderful parents, wonderful friends and even if my job is high stress, a truly wonderful job full of wonderful people. But it didn't matter. The thoughts were there. The tears and the way my mind was working was scaring me.

I went to my personal doctor, wanting to get his recommendation, telling him what I had started to try to do to help with getting myself on a better path. It is slow going and I discovered other things while we were working on getting the depression under control, but I am glad that I said something. I am okay with being on medication. I am so happy that I got Doyle.

Most days are good days. But some days are bad. You will know better than we would if talking with a doctor would be beneficial. Don't be afraid to go in even to get an opinion. There is help out there if you need it.
Colie CVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
You may be depressed in the moment, but not clinically depressed. It is NORMAL to feel sad once in a while, although our society wants you to think otherwise.

If you can answer yes to, " do you feel like hurting yourself or others" then get off the internet and seek medical help. Otherwise go take your GSD for some long hikes and increase your endorphins - Exercise and Depression: Endorphins, Reducing Stress, and More

Take care of yourself, eat well, sleep well, treat yourself. The biggest comfort for me is my faith (Christianity) , its one of those things your not supposed to talk about like politics, but if you do need to talk with someone, try a faith based counselor. Although things have gone wrong, you have several opportunities in the future for right things to happen. Focus ahead, not behind.
I have never had thoughts about hurting myself or others. I have felt sad for a few months now. but I would never hurt myself or others because that wouldn't help anything, and is not the right thing to do. I would just feel way worse after that.
I cannot sleep well at night and I am not feeling as hungry anymore. I have been trying to get out of the house more and take extra good care of jaxx, and that helps a litte. just to get my mind off of things.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If you know someone that is Diabetic...and we all do by and large, have them test your blood sugars. Mad at people really easily is why I suggested it.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
If you know someone that is Diabetic...and we all do by and large, have them test your blood sugars. Mad at people really easily is why I suggested it.
thanks! I do not know anyone who is Diabetic, but I will look into that.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Keep getting out of the house and if you can physically exert yourself like you did as a kid, where you'd be too tired to eat. That makes me feel good. Also Chip18 has good advice, just get a check up, blood panels etc, just like you'd treat your dog if he was not acting right. You might want to investigate something like gluten intolerance. I sent a stool sample to a place called enterolabs (in TX) and found I did have gluten intolerance, and since I stopped gluten I feel better, no headaches or brain fog.

Just to be honest,I should disclose I am anti-SSRI's due to an extremely negative experience with them, and I always seek and advise for more holistic treatments. Cognitive behavioral therapy is also helpful.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colie CVT View Post
Gretchen gave you a lot of really great tips. I know when I was growing up, depending on how my life was going I had times when I got a little sad, but there was always something that came to help turn things around, or help me see past it. I have always been a strong person, always one that didn't want to have help, that wanted to do it on my own.

Last year was a very bad year. Any time that I started to get myself back on track again, something came along and slammed me down farther and farther each time. Personal and professional. It got to where I didn't want to do anything, where I was spending a lot of time staring at nothing and just feeling empty. Then what really scared me and finally got me to realize I simply couldn't beat it any longer were the thoughts about what I could do to hurt myself. Thoughts that just came up sporadically and I couldn't stop them.

I realized that I needed help and I needed something drastic to change in my life if I wanted to get better. I have no reason to feel depressed. I have wonderful parents, wonderful friends and even if my job is high stress, a truly wonderful job full of wonderful people. But it didn't matter. The thoughts were there. The tears and the way my mind was working was scaring me.

I went to my personal doctor, wanting to get his recommendation, telling him what I had started to try to do to help with getting myself on a better path. It is slow going and I discovered other things while we were working on getting the depression under control, but I am glad that I said something. I am okay with being on medication. I am so happy that I got Doyle.

Most days are good days. But some days are bad. You will know better than we would if talking with a doctor would be beneficial. Don't be afraid to go in even to get an opinion. There is help out there if you need it.
thank you! Jaxx is really the only good thing that's happened to me for awhile. but I do get to go on vacation soon and get away from everything. And im glad to say the problems will not be going with me.
even if I don't have thoughts, should I still go to the doctor? I answered no to having them on the test, and it still said that I have it (although it is no doctor. so you never know)
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Keep getting out of the house and if you can physically exert yourself like you did as a kid, where you'd be too tired to eat. That makes me feel good. Also Chip18 has good advice, just get a check up, blood panels etc, just like you'd treat your dog if he was not acting right. You might want to investigate something like gluten intolerance. I sent a stool sample to a place called enterolabs (in TX) and found I did have gluten intolerance, and since I stopped gluten I feel better, no headaches or brain fog.

Just to be honest,I should disclose I am anti-SSRI's due to an extremely negative experience with them, and I always seek and advise for more holistic treatments. Cognitive behavioral therapy is also helpful.
Thank you so much. I will be seeing a doctor soon just to see what they have to say. I do always have a terrible headache that just wont go away, I would not be surprised if I had gluten intolerance. I will check into that also.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx's mom View Post
thanks! I do not know anyone who is Diabetic, but I will look into that.
Yeah there's always someone that breaks the norm!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.