deppressed - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Oh yeah, I've been there before. I was diagnosed with depression for a few years and it was a really dark time in my life, it actually still affects me today in some ways but I've mostly gotten over it. Everyone's giving you some good advise here, exercise does play a big part in the recovery process. Talking about it does help also, but the only way to recover is really up to you. Family and friends can give you a nudge, but in the end it's all up to you. At some point when you hit rock bottom you will find that the only way to move at all is to go up, metaphorically speaking. However, it may take a slow, long and painful decent to reach the very bottom. If you are really worried then it would be best to seek out a doctor. If you need to vent and just let it out then I am happy to pm you and share with you my experiences. Stay strong!
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with Gretchen, this may be something temporary. You are going through a lot. You wouldn't be human if you weren't having some anxiety and other feelings of sadness, tiredness, loneliness etc during this time. Talking to your doctor is a good thing. However most drs like the use of medication, which is okay for some people with clinical depression and other disorders However I have found if you have the time , just talking to a therapist can really make a big difference without having to be on medication.
Msmaria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What part of tx are you in?
GSDAlphaMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDAlphaMom View Post
What part of tx are you in?

Denton

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jaxx's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmaria View Post
I agree with Gretchen, this may be something temporary. You are going through a lot. You wouldn't be human if you weren't having some anxiety and other feelings of sadness, tiredness, loneliness etc during this time. Talking to your doctor is a good thing. However most drs like the use of medication, which is okay for some people with clinical depression and other disorders However I have found if you have the time , just talking to a therapist can really make a big difference without having to be on medication.

I've been talking to friends about it and it doesn't really make a difference in everything that is going on, it just helps.
I don't think I need any medication, so I may just go to a therapist and see what they have to say.

Jaxx's mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxx's mom View Post
I've been talking to friends about it and it doesn't really make a difference in everything that is going on, it just helps.
I don't think I need any medication, so I may just go to a therapist and see what they have to say.

I understand, sometimes there's nothing you can do to change the things that are happening, it just helps to have someone there to let you know what your feeling is normal and how to help yourself relieve the stress your having.

One of the biggest things a therapist did for me with was with a simple suggestion. Like others here I've had my share of dark times. I'd replay events over and over in my head all night while telling myself to go to sleep and stop thinking about it. My therapist suggested replacing those thoughts with good ones instead of telling myself not to think about the bad ones. It helped me a lot and I was able to get off of the medicine that was making me fat and sleepy. Everyone's different but that's why I think therapy also helps us learn to cope and make changes to deal with the things we can't change. I'm so glad your not having suicidal thoughts and I hope things in your life settle down soon and you can get back to your happy self.

Find things that make you happy and force your self to do them. Sometimes little things like walking your dog in the morning. For me driving to work sometimes I'll look up at the sky and see how beautiful this world can be from that view with the mountain tops and the fluffy clouds. It reminds me of how lucky I am to be here no matter what I'm going through in my life.

Last edited by Msmaria; 07-01-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Wait when they put you on med. THEN YOU will have something to be depressed about, getting off the meds. that make you wish you were dead.

Talk to a doctor - be given a prescription - pharmacology replaced psychology.
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehrgutcsg View Post
Wait when they put you on med. THEN YOU will have something to be depressed about, getting off the meds. that make you wish you were dead.

Talk to a doctor - be given a prescription - pharmacology replaced psychology.
Th OP has said she's not looking for medicine.

I agree with you in general most drs are prescribing meds first asking questions later. But just wanted to clear up not all meds are bad and make you want to kill yourself when stoping them. Which is why you should stop slowly anyway.
Some people truly need medications to correct the imbalance in their brains, or otherwise they couldn't function on a daily basis.

Sometimes drs will prescribe a 30 day anti anxiety med for temporary depression but it really depends on the person and how bad it is.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Not everyone has a negative experience with medication. You cannot solely rely on them to make it better. You have to change things, find things that help you feel more normal again. The medication I am on makes me feel a little groggy, but otherwise I feel so much more like my old self, it's a relief. I am not normally someone who relies on anyone outside of myself to find my happy. Taking meds was not my first idea, but I trust my personal physician. -shrug- I may get off, I may not. Right now I am just focusing on how to make the good feeling stronger and remembering the person I used to be and what she loved to do.

And I take comfort in not having the same thoughts that I was. It truly made no difference to me if I did something to myself or not. It took a friend killing himself to make me really realize what I was feeling and thinking. That man was one of the nicest people I've ever know, always happy, always willing to help others. He had so much to live for. He was so loved.

That to me is a reason to evaluate what I had been thinking. And I feel much better than I have in some time.

Colie CVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Going to see a medical Dr. is a good place to start. When you see your primary Dr. be sure to have your thyroid checked. Low thyroid is a common cause of moderate to severe depression. Low thyroid can also cause a number of other temporary health issues (while untreated) that can exacerbate depression and depression like symptoms.

Word of caution from personal experience. If you are prescribed anti depressants and choose to take them, be aware that they can make depression worse and cause suicidal thoughts if you have untreated low thyroid.

Disclaimer: I am not a physician or health care provider. Just giving another piece of information from a personal experience POV.

Whether it be talking to friends, clergy, medical Dr. or a therapist, taking long walks or exercise. I hope you find relief and brighter days soon.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.