German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Hairloss in a horse (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/462073-hairloss-horse.html)

wolfy dog 06-19-2014 12:32 PM

Hairloss in a horse

This is for a friend of mine. She has a 6 year old gelding whose mane and tail hair sheds in the spring and summer and even some patches over his body. In the fall and winter it grows back. He is on grass hay and oats. It is a Dutch Warmblood.
She tried: acupuncture, change diets, sun protection with blankets, Bach flowers, standard vet care. Nothing works. Any ideas from the horse owners here?

Gwenhwyfair 06-20-2014 10:42 AM

Every time I experienced that with my horses it was due to them itching and rubbing their manes and tails on posts and trees. It would happen in the summer and disappear in the winter/cooler months.

In the south it could be fungal, muck itch due to high humidity or insects.

It's been some years ago now but there was an anti-fungal shampoo that helped and I can't remember the name.....I think it was 'Fungasol' shampoo especially for horses. Eqyss Micro Tek is a well respected brand too.

I would work it in really well into mane and top of the tail and let it sit for 10 minutes then rinse and put insect repellent on. Has to be kept up on as a maintenance routine during the summer.

Lilie 06-20-2014 10:55 AM

What color is the mane/tail?

Pawsed 06-20-2014 11:39 AM

Sounds like an allergy to me, probably bug bites, especially since it goes away in winter. I've had this problem with horses and no-see-ums, really small biting insects. The horse may be rubbing out hair to try to soothe the itching.

You can use some over the counter anti-itch salve, bathe with Aveeno, and check with the vet for other suggestions.

wolfy dog 06-20-2014 11:42 AM

The "problem" is that he is not itching or rubbing. What kinda bug can cause this if it doesn't itch?

middleofnowhere 06-20-2014 11:42 AM

Rain rot could be the culpret. Western Oregon & the south were areas where this could happen. Cure in the south was sponging with listerene or similar mouthwash.

wolfy dog 06-20-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 5668137)
What color is the mane/tail?

black on a brown horse

middleofnowhere 06-20-2014 11:57 AM

aka "bay"

wolfy dog 06-20-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5668481)
aka "bay"

:hammer:

Lilie 06-20-2014 02:00 PM

I asked the color thinking it could be sun burn, but on a bay it is highly unlikely.

Have you seen the area that is infected (or losing hair)? Is it gummy? Dry and scaley? Does it have an ordor to it? Is the rest of the mane & tail healthy?

The area that the horse grazes in, is it normally wet or dry during the summer months? Is the horse on pasture 24/7 or is it brought in at night?

Is the horse pastured with a buddy? Some horses will chew on another horse's mane & tail.

Does the owner use any type of fly sheet in the summer?