German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   OT advice needed about baby deer (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/461977-ot-advice-needed-about-baby-deer.html)

Rangers_mom 06-19-2014 09:11 AM

OT advice needed about baby deer

We have a fenced in wooded backyard and every year there is a doe that drops a fawn in our yard. Usually the fawn is stuck in our yard for a week or two until it figures out how to jump the fence and momma dear seems to use our yard as a playpen coming back only to nurse her baby. This year the fawn has been in our yard over a month and I haven't seen momma deer in a couple weeks. Considering I usually see the does every day it seems like they have almost given up on baby deer in favor of the other baby I have seen outside my yard. At this point I am concerned about leaving a gate open because our baby doesn't know anything about traffic and I am afraid it will get hit quickly without momma deer to teach it. Any suggestions?

Rangers_mom 06-19-2014 09:13 AM

Oh, and I live in suburbia so traffic can be heavy. Also baby deer has gotten quite big so I wonder why it hasn't figured out how to jump our 4 foot fence.

gsdsar 06-19-2014 09:35 AM

If it's gotten that big, leave it. It will figure it out. Obviously it's surviving okay without much from mom.

You can try calling a rehabilitation center and get some advice.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Anubis_Star 06-19-2014 11:39 AM

Leave it alone. Rehabilitation places rarely take in fawns, the only option usually tends to be euthanasia. If it's growing then it's eating and surviving

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Taz's Mom 06-19-2014 01:22 PM

I would leave it. I actually know a guy that does fawn rehabilitation if the fawn is truly orphaned, most people don't realize that a doe will leave a baby for most of the day, this is to keep predators away. People call him all the time, he will usually take the fawn back to the location where it was found and sit for hours and watch it. More times than not the doe usually comes back for it. They are much better off in nature if at all possible.

Zeeva 06-19-2014 04:38 PM

Agreed with leave it. I know it seems heartless.

My uncle got lymes by trying to help an 'orphaned' fawn.

middleofnowhere 06-19-2014 04:52 PM

You could call your state's fish and game office and see what they recommend. I know that for a long time fawns have little to no scent so dogs will pass them right by.

Rangers_mom 06-19-2014 06:37 PM

Thanks all. I can see him/her now. He looks healthy. I guess I will leave him. I just hope he doesn't get too comfortable in my yard.

JakodaCD OA 06-19-2014 06:41 PM

maybe momma shows up at nite? I would leave him, if you think he'll end up in danger, I'd call a rehabber ..

llombardo 06-19-2014 08:07 PM

I think it is amazing how smart they are to leave their young where they feel its safe. If the baby is looking healthy I would leave it be and enjoy watching if grow, it has to be a wonderful experience.