German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   African Grey Parrot? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/460737-african-grey-parrot.html)

HarleyTheGSD 06-15-2014 05:38 PM

African Grey Parrot?

I just got a Cockatiel, and though she is still unsure of me, she is slowly making progress. I do like her, she's very cute. But, I've been hearing a lot of good things about African Grey's. I actually handled one at the Bird Shop, and loved him! I know it sounds bad, but I'm thinking about returning the Cockatiel and getting an African Grey. A rescue.
What are your experiences with this bird?

Brighteyes 06-15-2014 05:52 PM

Greys can be pretty high strung. If it's mature and not used to dogs or a busy household, you could end up with self destructive behaviors. The y also require a lot of one on one to socialize well.

HarleyTheGSD 06-15-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 5645281)
Greys can be pretty high strung. If it's mature and not used to dogs or a busy household, you could end up with self destructive behaviors. The y also require a lot of one on one to socialize well.

I'd have to find one that fits my lifestyle. I would be able to spend a lot of time with it. I'd want to bring him with me when I go certain places. Not sure if that's frowned upon or not...

gsdsar 06-15-2014 06:18 PM

Why not have both? Seems odd to me to return an animal because you want something better? Like returning your dog because now you want a high drive sport dog?

You made the commitment. I say stick with that commitment and if you find you are looking for more, add another bird. It's not the cockatiels fault you want something else.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Brighteyes 06-15-2014 06:30 PM

Well, remember that they gotta poop somewhere! I have trained my sun conure not to do it on me but I have to pay attention to his body language or what happens isn't his fault.

I really wanted a grey at one point but already had two cockatiels, a blue fronted amazon, a yellow collared macaw and a dog. Decided it would not be fair to anyone and I' m glad I went that way. Having one bird that talks is PLENTY. It's like having a toddler....you wonder if they will ever talk and then you wonder if they will ever shut up! Right now the amazon is on the patio yelling my name....and has been for twenty minutes. Great, now it's switched to my husband.

The big question, at least is at my age is, are you prepared for a pet that could live 50 years?

HarleyTheGSD 06-15-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5645313)
Why not have both? Seems odd to me to return an animal because you want something better? Like returning your dog because now you want a high drive sport dog?

You made the commitment. I say stick with that commitment and if you find you are looking for more, add another bird. It's not the cockatiels fault you want something else.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Thank you. You're right. She is a great little bird. And I really like her. She may be adjusting slowly, but I understand that this is normal for a young, new bird. She'll come to love me. :)

HarleyTheGSD 06-15-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 5645345)
Well, remember that they gotta poop somewhere! I have trained my sun conure not to do it on me but I have to pay attention to his body language or what happens isn't his fault.

I really wanted a grey at one point but already had two cockatiels, a blue fronted amazon, a yellow collared macaw and a dog. Decided it would not be fair to anyone and I' m glad I went that way. Having one bird that talks is PLENTY. It's like having a toddler....you wonder if they will ever talk and then you wonder if they will ever shut up! Right now the amazon is on the patio yelling my name....and has been for twenty minutes. Great, now it's switched to my husband.

The big question, at least is at my age is, are you prepared for a pet that could live 50 years?

That's an important thing to consider. Thank you!

HarleyTheGSD 06-15-2014 06:52 PM

I get so excited when I learn about a new animal, I just have to know all about it. I want to know if it would be right for me. Honestly, I'm being much too hasty. I have my entire life to get new animals. I need to relax and enjoy what I have now. There's always a chance in the future.

Brighteyes 06-15-2014 07:12 PM

You know how we always tell people to be careful and do their research before getting a gsd? Parrots too!

Cockatiels are very sweet birds, bond well and can be good talkers. And the ones I've had lived into their 20s!

One other thing you might not be aware of....your birds will live longer if you can find an avian vet, they really need somone who knows what they are doing. Things can go south VERY quickly with a sick bird.

HarleyTheGSD 06-15-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighteyes (Post 5645538)
You know how we always tell people to be careful and do their research before getting a gsd? Parrots too!

Cockatiels are very sweet birds, bond well and can be good talkers. And the ones I've had lived into their 20s!

One other thing you might not be aware of....your birds will live longer if you can find an avian vet, they really need somone who knows what they are doing. Things can go south VERY quickly with a sick bird.

Thank you!