l can quit smoking. please tell me this. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default l can quit smoking. please tell me this.

Quitting success stories and encouragement, please!
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You're going to change your life by quitting... huge congrats to you for taking the first step!

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Not mine, my dad's...smoked Camel non filters for 40 years..., had a slight stroke and decided to quit. He went to a hypnotist, and hasn't smoked in 24 years...unfortunately has residual effects, but at 84 still living on his own..Good luck, the difference in your health and finances will be good...
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It took me several times but I have not had a single smoke for about 4 years. The last slip was minor...1 cigarette...so really I have not smoked for about 8. When I got the urge I forced myself to smoke the whole thing and got so sick and it was so nasty now every time I crave one (and that will never go away, I don't think), I think about standing on the front porch, green to the gills and then going inside and the room spinning for hours. It was horrid.

Sometimes it takes several attempts, the right smoking aid works for different folks. For my husband and small heart attack in 2003 and he went cold turkey. For me it was several tries and nicotine gum helped. I know others who used various other forms of nicotine patches and drugs. It seems what works is different for different people.

I will say that I coughed a lot the few months after I quit. The lungs coming back alive.

You CAN do this. Figure out your triggers (after eating, stress, driving, etc.) and come up with replacement activities for those times.......like chewing gum or even a straw etc.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My mother quit smoking 16 yrs ago. She tried over and over. Smoked for approx. 35 yrs. But succeeded.

She is currently tethered to a wall via max oxygen output and in long term care until she dies.

She has secondary pulmonary hypertension due to scaring of her lungs (scleroderma) affecting the o2 exchange. She cannot get up and use the commode in the hospital without her o2 levels dropping to dangerous level w/o a nurse present

She should have blood o2 of 96-100%
She is stable at 80-85%

This affects the brain too (o2).

To be honest, as my Brother feels this is due to smoking. She was also using an inhalant steroid for 10+yrs due to nasal issue.

The scleroderma was dx. as auto-immune.

So, regardless. You can quit
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Glowing- I am on the same journey. I wish you luck it's very hard.

But for me, slightly high BP, and mild asthma(new to me at 40) and the Dr. Throwing the word emphysema around. I nearly had a heart attack.

So I immediately cut down my smoking by half. Used to smoke a full pack a day, for the last week and 1/2, I have only smoked 10 a day.

I am learning to replace during my trigger times. Driving being my biggest!!!

Good luck!!!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 06-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks guys. I am trying lozenges and e cigarettes for the worst moments. I smoked one cigarette yesterday, and managed to only smoke a nic free pomegranate e cigarette the day before. I have smoked since I was 18, but a pack every two days, sometimes a pack a week.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I've switched over to electronic with the intent to slowly ween off. Been on it probably longer than I need to but it's hard to give up. I need the right encouragement (ie trying for a kid I'll go cold turkey for).

I can't stand normally cigarettes now which is great. They just taste awful.
AngelaA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Chantix. Smoke Free 7yr

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yes! You can totally do this! I had two serious "quits" before my last one. One lasted three weeks and the second lasted almost five months.

I smoked my last cigarette on January 3, 2003. I was a heavy smoker, up to over two packs a day by the time I quit for good.

I took it one second at a time. I used a nicotine patch for the first five weeks (the kind that comes in different strengths, so I could gradually decrease the amount of nicotine I was getting over those weeks). Having the patch helped me figure out the emotional dependency without dealing with the physical addiction until I was ready. One at a time! it worked for me.

But everyone is different, so do what works for you. The goal is to be free. It really doesn't matter how you get there. It only matters that you get there.

Good luck! You can do this!!!!
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.