l can quit smoking. please tell me this. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I started stealing smokes at 14. Worked in a convenient store at 16 and had access to buy my own from there. Smoked until I was 33. Quit for a few weeks a couple times along the way but as soon as I would feel like I had it kicked, i'd have a smoke with a friend and be right back to a pack a day within a week.

I miss smoking sometimes but you always remember that yummy smoke after a great meal or a roll in they hay but forget about all the miserable times outside huddled in the rain or snow. You forget about the times at the airport past security or trapped on a plane. You forget about the cravings at work or riding in someone else's car jonesing fiercely for a smoke.

I finally decided life was worth living and didn't want to be a slave to cravings any more. I love how much my fitness improved but the weight gain has been a struggle. I went cold turkey and know that one puff is all it takes to return to slavery.

5 years off Marlboros now. Sunflower seeds, beer, and food filled my cravings. I went from from 210 to 250 but I could also blame that on getting married and having a great wife. Finally bought myself a bike and I'm down to 220.

You can do it if you want it bad enough, you just have to set your mind to it and refuse to accept failure. If you can't keep a promise to yourself then what good is your word? I just hope you have better luck getting on an exercise program early.

Dave
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

If you want to you CAN do it. YOU have to Want too. I say this as someone who started smoking before I was 12 (I know...). I smoked a pack + a day for the better part of 33 years. I quit for both my pregnancies and a short time after each.
At the fine age of 42 I decided to try to quit. I tried patches and gum. I tried cold turkey. I tried cutting back to 10 a day and then further weaning.
I failed over and over for an entire year. But, I kept at it. I really wanted to quit. I just hadn't found the right tool yet. Then my primary care prescribed Chantix. That was the ticket for me. I was finally able to quit cigarettes April 17th, 2007.
Now, I will be honest and admit to an occasional cigar (you don't inhale cigars and it isn't very often). Oddly, I no longer desire cigarettes though. When I smell them or smell them on heavy smokers it actually now turns my stomach.

Moral of the story: you can do it...don't beat yourself up if it seems like it's taking too long or you "fall-off-the-wagon". It's different for everyone. Just keep at it. You'll make it
Old 06-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've quit so many times I feel like I'm an expert, and that's not good. Last time I quit was before a surgery. ,stayed free with Chantix. You know what really helped each time? Running. Run until your breathless, then keep at it and you will see actual progress. Quitting wasn't enough, but seeing progress in how many squares of sidewalk I could run really helped. I started smoking at 15 and quit at 61. I am never a non smoker though...
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

start an intense exercise program. as you see results, running and/or some strength exercises, you become even more motivated to not smoking.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

In 8 days it will be one year since I stopped smoking. I quit cold turkey after 31 years. I was on my way to the store to get another pack and just said to myself F'this, I don't need it anymore and turned around and went home, haven't even thought about having a smoke since. I really believe you have to want to quit in your mind, if you put your mind to it I believe you will be able to accomplish quitting, just be strong in your desire to quit.
BahCan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You CAN do it! If I can you can I say this because I have no self control and ate half a deep and delicious cake not even an hour ago . It has been 4 years for me of a smoke free life, im healthier I do not smell like smokes anymore and I bought myself some kick ass shoes with the money I saved. It was a rough month but I dont miss it at all, you wont either, the sooner you quit the quicker you can look back and feel good about making the right decision for your health.
good luck!

Also I did it cold turkey, I kept a prescription of zyban on my fridge just in case I really needed an aid but I did not fill the script.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

I always thought the first month was the easiest. Maybe easy isn't the word but I never failed in the first month. The first 4-6 weeks is when you still have the solid commitment. After that, the physical stresses on the body are gone and it's just the mind games. This is when you think you have it licked and it won't hurt anything if you just have that one cigarette. It's just one, what can it hurt?

And then three days later you're buying a pack again.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

This is helping. I have a feeling I will be venting on this thread a lot for awhile.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingtoadfly View Post
This is helping. I have a feeling I will be venting on this thread a lot for awhile.
You know, put your "smoke" money in a jar, save it for a month or 2 then go and buy yourself some fab new summer sandals!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Right now I'm spending it on e cigarettes and lozenges... But knowing me I would just buy more toys and dog treats.
glowingtoadfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.