Living Conditions.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Living Conditions..

Just a couple of quick questions. We currently live in a big city with high utility rates. But we are moving next spring. If we get a place with well water and septic we could save approx. 4g a year. Just wondering if any of you have wells / septics and what your thoughts are on them..
lennyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

We have septic tank, it isn't awful we just have to have it pumped every 3-5 years and we're supposed to have it measured every year to check scum levels and what not. We haven't done that yet and have only lived in this house for 2 years. Next year is going to be the fun one :P

We haven't had any problems with it like it backing up or anything. you just have to make sure you get septic safe toilet paper.
AngelaA6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

We also thought about a whole house water filter system. Don't they have some kind d of enzyme tablet your supposed to flush every once in a while?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have well/septic and it's not bad . I have a water softener and add salt every couple months. Of course we are careful about what we throw in the toilet. We drink and cook with it. It also has worked better with the fish tanks. When you purchase the house get an inspection done on it. Mine was paid for by the seller. I also had a plumber come out and he was able to put a camera and give me video of the lines and stuff.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 06-05-2014 at 08:04 PM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

On septic here-

-life span of the drain field is appx 30 years if it has been taken care of (replacement cost of field is appx $7500, at least that is what it cost us). We got 37 years out of the field.

-clean out runs about $550 includes pumping, pressure washing, jetting lines both ways, camera inspection and dig charge (the tank is about 6 ft down), clean out should be done every 3-5 years.

-never have used the additives

Be wary of the low price specials you may see. The end cost will probably be significantly higher with all the add ons.

For our area, septic is much lower cost overall. By the time sewer is added to water bills, it is usually 4 times higher then what our water bill alone is.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

The way we figure. By leaving Parma, Ohio and going to the Tallahassee, Florida area we can save a decent amount of money. Property taxes are 1/3 what we pay. And if we can go well / septic / propane and possibly solar then that's roughly over 10,000 a year minimum savings just on utilities. Plus no state income tax..
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well/septic here. Fine by me, but I'm not a resource sponge. Well pump went out earlier this year. Replaced it myself with the help of some friends, not too bad. Septic, I dunno what my situation is there. I honestly use so little water that I hope the system outlasts me.

The water here is absurdly good. I use a wound whole house filter and that's it. I get a bit of clay and some iron now and again. Filters last 2-3 months before water flow rates get annoying.

It's way cheaper for me as a single person that is miserly with water to be on a private system.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had well water when I lived in Florida. 50lbs bags of salt into the water softener every so often and the occasional strange smell coming from your faucets.

I currently live in a house with a septic tank and I don't notice the difference. I'm not the one that handles that anyways.
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Check with the local government to see if they are planning to convert your area to city water/sewer. That will cost you a small fortune. My friends learned the hard way!
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

On septic and used to be on well, but now have community water, which costs us less than $30/month. We just had our septic tank pumped (didn't actually need it, but plumber thought we should try that first for a issue we were having). It only cost $75. We usually add enzymes every month and that's about all we do.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.