German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Which Parrot? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/456802-parrot.html)

HarleyTheGSD 06-03-2014 09:56 PM

Which Parrot?

I'm getting a parrot-type bird soon, and I'm wondering which would be best for me.
I'm considering a Parakeet, Conure, or a Cockatiel. I have had a Parakeet in the past, and I loved him very much. Though, I may want to get a different one.
Does anybody know about them? Compared to Parakeets? I have a cage that is 3 feet tall, 20 inches long, and 20 inches deep.

Jelpy 06-03-2014 10:03 PM

I have two cockatoos and I love them dearly, however, in retrospect I would stick with cockatiels, who just as much personality as cockatoos, but are less expensive and destructive. Again, I adore my cockatoos, but Cockatiels have the exact same personality...just lotsa big bird in a little bird package.

gsdsar 06-03-2014 10:06 PM

I have had conures. They are lovely birds, but some are very loud.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jelpy 06-03-2014 10:09 PM

I was going to add something else but my cockatoos stepped on my keyboard and messed me up. Cockatoos and feathery little teddy bears.....you do not want to get one unless you can devote a lot of time to it. They are more affectionate than parrots, in my biased opinion. If I'm gonna spend that much money on a bird then by golly I want something that adores me. I've never been super into finches, parakeets etc....goldfish with wings. I just don't think they have the personality of the cockatoos and cockatiels

Bear in mind that birds, like dogs...are not solitary by nature. A dog has it's pack...a bird has it's flock. No matter what bird you get, it will be miserable if you stick it in a cage and don't spend time with it.

Jelpy

FelixTheGSD 06-03-2014 10:11 PM

I would definitely choose Conure or Cockatiel. Conures are usually more playful, cuddly (hard to think about a bird being cuddly, but conures really, really are), interactive, and curious. On the other hand, Cockatiels are far less destructive (conures can get destructive since they are so interactive), and are extremely intelligent. Both live around 20 years. They are both really gorgeous and wonderful pets :D

Pax8 06-03-2014 10:13 PM

33 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to decide between birds myself. I was thinking about a conure, but from what I've seen with friends' conures, there is a huge potential to be VERY loud. So you probably want to consider what noise level you are comfortable with.

I've found that conures seem to be more attention needy than parakeets or cockatiels as well. The conures I've bird watched expect a few hours of out of cage time and interaction every single day. My cockatiels have all been just fine entertaining themselves for a day or so if I was busy working my dog or feeling bad.

I think I'm going to end up going with a cockatiel myself. If I get another big parrot, I'm going to wait until I have the means to take care of an african grey. :)

sit,stay 06-03-2014 10:17 PM

I currently have a lovebird, and prior to him I had a cockatiel that lived to be 22 years old. And I had parakeets when I was much, much younger.

I recommend a lovebird. A single bird, hand-fed, is a wonderful pet. They are very entertaining and have a "big bird" personality. My little lovebird is every bit as "parrot-y" as my Amazon. He loves to play with his toys and is just ready to take on the world every day. He is two years old now, 2.5 to be precise, and he has stayed tame and gentle. He likes everyone.

My cockatiel was a wonderful pet as well. He was also hand-fed and stayed sweet and loving his whole life. He loved everyone and would happily sit on a shoulder for hours, preening hair and nibbling on ear lobes.

Even though most conures are smaller, they sometimes don't make good pets for first time parrot owners. They can be loud. Really, really loud. And bite-y. I worked with a parrot rescue in Utah regarding a cockatoo that had been abandoned here, and ended up having some fascinating conversations about different types of commonly kept parrots. They told me that they get more requests to take in conures than any other type of parrot. People buy them because they are mostly small (those Patagonian conures are pretty big, though), and relatively easy to find. But they can be difficult. Like a lot of parrots, they can get fixated on one person. That can spiral out of control quickly.

Regarding cages: the rule of thumb is that you provide the biggest cage you can accommodate in your home and afford. Bigger is always better. However, you also need to pay attention to bar spacing. Bigger cages often have wider bar spacing and smaller birds can break their necks by sticking their heads in between the bars and then panicking. The ensuing struggle breaks their neck.

I love my birds. I won't get any more big birds. This little lovebird gives me everything I like in a much smaller, more manageable package!
Sheilah

lorihd@comcast.net 06-03-2014 10:29 PM

I have had cockatiels, parakeets and a macaw, I also have budgies, which my female is smart as a whip. The only bird I know that will hold a grudge for 2 weeks (after I clip her wings) lol. I say budgie :)

HarleyTheGSD 06-03-2014 11:44 PM

I am going to go with either a Cockatiel or a Parakeet. I don't think I'm prepared for the loud vocals of a conure. I'll also interact with some.
Thank you all for the helpful replies! :)

onyx'girl 06-03-2014 11:58 PM

Budgies or some of the larger parakeets are really the best as far as personality, talking ability,etc. Cockatiels are dustier and some aren't real playful.
I'd like a Moustache for talking/personality. But you can't really beat a great handfed budgie, and they aren't obnoxiously loud.
I worked in a bird breeding facility/retail store for several years. I had my own aviary with many different types and bred for about 10 yrs.

I handfed several different species of exotics...and I still really love the budgies over all others.