Stranded baby bird - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Stranded baby bird

My husband and I picked up a lost baby bird (we think woodpecker) in our yard today right before Gunther got it. It's about 2 inches long, all feathers, and can fly tiny distances. I have it in a deep box in the garage with some broken up suet, water, and nesting. My concern is that I'm not sure if the bird will make it through the night before I can take it to the Animal Clinic. I tried feeding it the way my grandma said but it's too terrified to eat. I cant bring it inside due to 2 dogs and 2 cats. Does anyone have any ideas on how to ensure the baby makes it through until I can take it in?

Thanks in advance, I'm a little lost on this one.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 01:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not sure if this is too late of a reply but the best thing to do now is leave it alone, sounds like it is just fledged. I'd bet it will probably be okay for the few hours you
have it. Trying anything else could just be dangerous. Sometimes their hearts
can just stop.

Please let me know what happens!

Tamsen's Dogster page:
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=27525
valb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 01:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have found robins twice that were on the verge of being able to fly. I put them in a fairly deep box and nailed the box to the side of my garage close to a tree. Both times one of the parents stuck around and continued tending to it. One was able to fly in about 2 days the other just a tad longer.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I like this idea, thank you very much. If I can put the box way up high tonight (if I can in the middle of the night?) then it has a better chance of surviving. Of course I may give it a heart attack moving the box again. I'm so scared that while trying to help it I may wind up killing it.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Another question. Will the parents still tend to it after seeing us messing with it?

Old 05-31-2014, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I didn't have any issues with the robins. I put the box about 7' up on the wall, just so the eave provided a little cover and out of range for most cats. I just used a cardboard box. On the second day we were able to see the youngster perched on the edge of the box with its mother coaxing it to fly. Both times momma bird would bring food.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 02:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I didn't have any issues with the robins. I put the box about 7' up on the wall, just so the eave provided a little cover and out of range for most cats. I just used a cardboard box. On the second day we were able to see the youngster perched on the edge of the box with its mother coaxing it to fly. Both times momma bird would bring food.
Cool. I'm going to stay up until about 4 am when I hear the birds start chirping and then I'll go hang the box to a tree. I'm sure it will live until then, they don't eat all night long I'm sure.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh, and thank you both for the prompt replies. I have left it alone, just put some warm towels in the box (which will need to be thrown out lol) and going to handle this both of your ways. Thank you very much.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

My clinic works with the local wildlife rescue so we take in tons of babies this year. To be honest I know everyone is trying to do the best thing but it drives me nuts because in reality it's harming way more than helping.

Birds can't smell so will not reject a baby. As well once they get feathers and start to attempt to fly often times they will end up on the ground but will still be fed by mom until they can fly.

Unless there is an obvious injury all young wildlife should simply be left alone. Rescues that take in wildlife are already handling a ton of injured animals more often than not.

I would put it near where you found it, or if you can with an open box fashion some kind of nest off the ground nearby. The parent will return and care for it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

We only grabbed this one up because the dog was about to eat it. I didn't want to witness that, I can't stand seeing any animal get hurt by another. I did have it in the garage overnight to keep it safe from stray cats and my dogs, at 4 this morning I put the box on top of one of the hedges near where we found it. I have been up all night waiting to put it back for the parents to find, and keep looking out the window hoping to see a parent find it. And as I typed this, the parents found it! I'm very grateful for the advice that was given. When the situation arose I was on my way out the door for work and had NO clue what to do to help the bird. Now I know exactly what to do in the future!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.