Green Iguana-Update - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Green Iguana-Update

Well, I decided that I'm not ready for a green iguana. They say they're best for more experienced reptile owners. They can be aggressive, inflicting gruesome wounds;.Get up to six feet long; are extremely aggressive during mating season. I will not be another novice to dispose of one of these beautiful creatures.

I've been doing research on other large lizard species, and found the Argentine Black and White Tegu. They reach lengths of up to five feet, are very docile, and considered to be "friendly as dogs". I'm trying to learn as much as possible about them, then I'll see if they're the right lizard for me.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

We had green Iguanas for pets for a few years. They get to know you but still can smack you with their tail and it hurts too. Since that time it seems the area has had an iguana explosion. We had several hurricanes and some must have gotten out because every mulch pile had iguana eggs during nesting season. They are all over the place now. Some people don't like them because they like to eat flowers and if they put a bunch of money into fancy flowers an iguana can eat through a whole plant very quickly.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post
Well, I decided that I'm not ready for a green iguana. They say they're best for more experienced reptile owners. They can be aggressive, inflicting gruesome wounds;.Get up to six feet long; are extremely aggressive during mating season. I will not be another novice to dispose of one of these beautiful creatures.

I've been doing research on other large lizard species, and found the Argentine Black and White Tegu. They reach lengths of up to five feet, are very docile, and considered to be "friendly as dogs". I'm trying to learn as much as possible about them, then I'll see if they're the right lizard for me.
Brittany, where do you keep a lizard that can grow to 5 ft. long?
(Oh to be young and full of energy again, LOL)

Susan
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyTheGSD View Post

Yep my girl sent me to emerg for several stitches after grabbing a pinky out of my hand but included my finger..my fault but all the same it happened. They don't cuddle..hate dogs and cats and can inflict serious damage to their legs with their tail when full grown. The only serious aggression my girl had was when she laid eggs. They were buried and I had no idea until they started hatching. Cage cleaning had been tough and at the time I thought it was simply maturity. They are a big responsibility but no more than any other animal kept as a pet.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratemom View Post
We had green Iguanas for pets for a few years. They get to know you but still can smack you with their tail and it hurts too. Since that time it seems the area has had an iguana explosion. We had several hurricanes and some must have gotten out because every mulch pile had iguana eggs during nesting season. They are all over the place now. Some people don't like them because they like to eat flowers and if they put a bunch of money into fancy flowers an iguana can eat through a whole plant very quickly.
Luckily, I live in an area where it's too cold to keep an iguana outside. So I don't think I'll be seeing any iguanas destroying my mom's flowers.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 05-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
Brittany, where do you keep a lizard that can grow to 5 ft. long?
(Oh to be young and full of energy again, LOL)

Susan
Oh, I've been planning it out very carefully. The enclosure will go in my bedroom. I think I'll get rid of my desk and dresser, and put a 6' or 8' (whichever fits in that space) enclosure in their place. Of course, it would have to be custom made.
Well, I do plan on taking it out often. To go on walks to the park on hot summer days, cuddle on the couch while watching movies, training, etc.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 05-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Yep my girl sent me to emerg for several stitches after grabbing a pinky out of my hand but included my finger..my fault but all the same it happened. They don't cuddle..hate dogs and cats and can inflict serious damage to their legs with their tail when full grown. The only serious aggression my girl had was when she laid eggs. They were buried and I had no idea until they started hatching. Cage cleaning had been tough and at the time I thought it was simply maturity. They are a big responsibility but no more than any other animal kept as a pet.
Iguana's are vegan... completely vegan. Even crickets to a juvenile us considered more for motor development than nutrition as their body doesn't break down animal protein.

I love both my Green and Blue iggy. They ride beside me in my truck and completely ignore my dogs.

I love that they can be "potty trained." My advise for a cage for a 6 to 9 ft. adult (including tail) is to replace a closet door with plexiglass and paint the inside walls with a non toxic waterproof sealing paint and build it up from there.

As long as you LOVE dicing 9 to 12 veggies, fruits and melons types a day. They are amazing pets.
PMRonan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bearded Dragons are AWESOME beginner lizards. Also Crested geckos are pretty awesome. Both simple and mostly friendly. The Bearded does better being handled in most situations.
PMRonan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRonan View Post
Bearded Dragons are AWESOME beginner lizards. Also Crested geckos are pretty awesome. Both simple and mostly friendly. The Bearded does better being handled in most situations.
I actually have a bearded dragon now. And have had one in the past. LOVE them. They are awesome lizards, and surprisingly interactive.
I'm looking to "upgrade" my experience. And I've always loved large lizards. I'm trying to learn as much about Tegus as possible. I think I'll buy a book on them. Then I'll decide if they're right for me.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Old 05-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've also had anoles and leopard geckos. Beardies are definitely my favorite.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.