German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Military Appreciation Week!!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/449426-military-appreciation-week.html)

d4lilbitz 05-12-2014 05:56 PM

Military Appreciation Week!!!!

Just wanted to take a moment to to say to our Military members (both two and four legged) in this group...thank you for your service and sacrifice. Without you all, our freedom would not be possible. Many times people take for granted everything we have without understanding where it comes from. Our freedom and happiness is because of the brave, men, woman, and dogs that risk their lives everyday fighting for us. God bless you all, take care and enjoy your week! Personally though, I feel as though you all should be honored like this all the time, not just during specific time periods.

Deanna

huntergreen 05-12-2014 06:29 PM

how things have changed. people used to spit on us, throw beer bottles at us from cars and kept signs on their lawns " no sailors on the grass" this was in 75, norfolk Va.

d4lilbitz 05-12-2014 06:40 PM

That's a shame Huntergreen. I have a cousin, Navy stationed at Norfolk, VA right now. Both grandfathers retired Navy, Several Great Uncles retired military, my brother is an active Marine, and another cousin is a retired marine. I've always had military people in my family. It's saddens me how people can be so unkind, yet when there's trouble, they're the first ones to complain. Things are getting better. I've heard some great stories from my brother about the kindness strangers bestowed upon him.

Cheyanna 05-12-2014 06:58 PM

Thank you veterans for your service. I am appreciative of men & women willing to serve today.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

counter 05-12-2014 08:02 PM

Grandfather was US Navy on the USS Boston (heavy cruiser) and USS Intrepid (aircraft carrier, now a museum in NYC) during WWII in the Pacific.

Father was US Navy on the USS Richard E. Kraus (destroyer) based out of Norfolk, VA during the Cuban Missile Crisis 1958-62.

I joined the US Navy when I was 17 and spent 4 years active duty from 1993-97 stationed at the Navy Cargo Handling and Port Group (the only Navy combat cargo handling battalion that deploys world-wide) in Colonial Williamsburg, VA.

I got out for 3.5 years trying to work full time and go to college. Well, that didn't work out, so I went and talked to recruiters from all 4 branches to see where I could get the best deal.

I enlisted back onto active duty with the Air Force in April 2001 and have been serving ever since, and will continue to serve until I retire or get forced out! Ha.

I love military life. I was made for this. Much respect to all who serve in all branches. ONE TEAM ONE FIGHT! We have each other's backs.

And thanks for posting a thread to thank all of us! I appreciate knowing we're appreciated!!!

d4lilbitz 05-12-2014 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by counter (Post 5510042)
Grandfather was US Navy on the USS Boston (heavy cruiser) and USS Intrepid (aircraft carrier, now a museum in NYC) during WWII in the Pacific.

Father was US Navy on the USS Richard E. Kraus (destroyer) based out of Norfolk, VA during the Cuban Missile Crisis 1958-62.

I joined the US Navy when I was 17 and spent 4 years active duty from 1993-97 stationed at the Navy Cargo Handling and Port Group (the only Navy combat cargo handling battalion that deploys world-wide) in Colonial Williamsburg, VA.

I got out for 3.5 years trying to work full time and go to college. Well, that didn't work out, so I went and talked to recruiters from all 4 branches to see where I could get the best deal.

I enlisted back onto active duty with the Air Force in April 2001 and have been serving ever since, and will continue to serve until I retire or get forced out! Ha.

I love military life. I was made for this. Much respect to all who serve in all branches. ONE TEAM ONE FIGHT! We have each other's backs.

And thanks for posting a thread to thank all of us! I appreciate knowing we're appreciated!!!

You are welcome! My grandfather (96 yrs old now) was on the USS Casablanca. He wears his ball cap all the time. I love hearing him tell stories of his adventures : ) I like that "ONE TEAM ONE FIGHT!"

My brother really loves his job. He's now got his dream job. He just finished school to become a Military Working Dog Handler...I'm so happy for him. Hoping you're able to end your career with a happy retirement when its time!

bill 05-12-2014 09:50 PM

My granfather also served in the Pacific' he was on the USS Montpellier it was a cruiser' he had shrapnel in his hand got sick almost died' it was from a kamikaze plane! He was a remarkable man.
They truly were the greatest generation. Bill

SummerGSDLover 05-13-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d4lilbitz (Post 5509394)
Just wanted to take a moment to to say to our Military members (both two and four legged) in this group...thank you for your service and sacrifice. Without you all, our freedom would not be possible. Many times people take for granted everything we have without understanding where it comes from. Our freedom and happiness is because of the brave, men, woman, and dogs that risk their lives everyday fighting for us. God bless you all, take care and enjoy your week! Personally though, I feel as though you all should be honored like this all the time, not just during specific time periods.

Deanna

VERY WELL SAID! Our past and current soldiers have kept us safe, defended our freedom, as well as shown our children who the real heros are - not fictional characters but the boys and girls in blue/tan/black, white/and camo. Thank you ALL. Great idea, OP.

*-*Summer*-*

TommyB681 05-13-2014 04:47 AM

All well said. Thanks to all who serve and sacrificed for our freedom

bill 05-13-2014 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heroes!