Horses? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Exclamation Horses?

I have always been fascinated with horses. Love horseback riding, think they are affectionate, beautiful creatures. Ever since I was a little girl.
Well, something came up. My Mom's Aunt's parents' have two horses that they are trying to get rid of. They were about to have them euthanized, because their land was taken control of and won't allow the horses to stay. My mom's Aunt knows how passionate I am about animals, and horses, so she called us. My Grandparents have a 100 acre cattle farm, and we are going to ask if we can keep the horses there. They live 5 miles away from us, and I would go out there every day.

Opinions?? I have always wanted horses, but I don't know much about them.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've always enjoyed horses, but never wanted to own one lol I enjoy having a neighbor that owns them so I can watch them run around and play.

About the closest I'll get to owning a horse is Apsel...
Old 05-12-2014, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApselBear View Post
I've always enjoyed horses, but never wanted to own one lol I enjoy having a neighbor that owns them so I can watch them run around and play.

About the closest I'll get to owning a horse is Apsel...
That sounds a lot easier and cheaper than owning one.
I used to play with a neighbor's horse. Loved it. Was always so gentle and friendly.
I'm just worried that there's unlimited things I have to do to keep two horses happy and healthy. I'm not made of money. But I'd provide them care as I provide my dogs care. Just...a lot more......

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a horse. Owning a horse is not for the timid! There is as much to learn about horses as there is about GSDs. They require vet care twice a year (shots, etc). They need their feet attended to by a ferrier. They need de-worming. They will keep each other company -- no horse should ever live alone. They are frustrating and wonderful. They are crazy and noble. They are scardy-cats and brave. They are a pain and a joy.

Start your education with books, videos and websites. It would be best to find others in your area who have horses you can hang out with and learn. Find a trainer who will teach you how to ride YOUR horse. (It takes time to build the communication with an individual.)

There is absolutely nothing finer than having your horse in your back yard and 5 miles is pretty darn close!
brightspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ohhhhhh costly yet fun fun fun fun fun!!!
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
Ohhhhhh costly yet fun fun fun fun fun!!!
Yep. Not cheap.
brightspot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would enlist the help of someone experienced, if you want to take them on.... Caring for a horse can be a pretty daunting task for the inexperienced. If they're barefoot and healthy and you're not paying board, they're not as expensive as one would think. My mare is rather costly because she's a competitive eventing horse and needs a boatload of food, special shoes, etc. If she was barefoot and not being worked a lot, she wouldn't be that hard to take care of. The thing with horses that would make me wary as a newbie would be the first aid stuff- horses are a bizarre combination of very hardy and very accident prone. If you know of someone to teach you the basics, and you're totally committed to what a time suck it'll be, I'd say proceed. I'm a sucker for taking in unwanted horses- my mare was a retired racer most likely headed to slaughter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
LoveEcho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

what they said ^^^ I am lucky and own an 'easy keeper', she gets fat looking at the pasture, only needs feet done 3 times a year, if that, is easy to worm and give shots too AND she rides and drives. This year she is being bred and if she 'sticks' her life is going to dramatically change. As for horses and dogs, my mare will try to kill any dog that goes into her pen, the landlord's horses either play with, are scared of, or will try to kill dogs. Zeph has learned which pens he can go into pretty quickly, and for now will run the long way around and not go into any unless I am with him...it only took twice of him being chased for him to learn ;-)
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

No real advice, but like you I LOVE horses. I've spent a couple weekends with my cousin who lived on a horse farm. Lots of work, but if you like horses, its so rewarding and worth while. Dogs and horses are my favorite animals. I hope you're able to get them : ) Good luck! My next property will have enough acreage for horses!!!
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I wanted horses until I worked with an equine vet. I swear they can barely walk without hurting themselves lol, or catching some random disease that puts them out of commission for a year. Pigeon fever hit our area, busy vets and high costs. THe basic care and upkeep was expensive....Decided I would admire from afar. I do love donkeys though, I want one of those someday. :-D
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.