German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Green Iguana (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/448386-green-iguana.html)

HarleyTheGSD 05-09-2014 06:51 PM

Green Iguana

I'm a huge fan of reptiles. I LOVE them. I'd like to add a green iguana to my tiny family of reptiles. Could you tell me about them? Health, food, habitat, personality, size, etc.
How different are they from bearded dragons? Besides size, I already know that one. :)

HarleyTheGSD 05-10-2014 11:36 PM

I want to build an enclosure that measures 4 feet tall, 4 feet wide, and two feet deep. Would that large enough? I want to get an adult male, maybe 1-2 years old.

Ellimaybel 05-11-2014 12:21 AM

I'm not positive but it sounds as if it may be shallow enough for the iguana to get out easier? I don't really know but every enclosure I have ever seen has been really deep. Plus the deeper it is the more he can climb around in there.

Ellimaybel 05-11-2014 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would do something like this.

HarleyTheGSD 05-11-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellimaybel (Post 5502041)
I would do something like this.

I've been seeing a lot of enclosures like this as well. I'll try to find a spot to put an enclosure this size.

Ellimaybel 05-11-2014 04:54 PM

Yeah they love to climb.

HarleyTheGSD 05-11-2014 10:51 PM

I may consider a large ferret nation cage... What are your thoughts? Am I being ridiculous? I typed in "iguana cage" in Google images and found a photo of an iguana in a large ferret cage. It gave me the idea.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Ellimaybel 05-12-2014 12:42 AM

I looked it up too, I think that's pretty clever. Looks like it would be easier and he can still climb all he want

Shade 05-12-2014 09:44 AM

My cousin had a green iguana and while I'm not a fan of reptiles he was seriously awesome. She got him as a baby and raised him herself, he was smart and calm, he loved being handled and would contently sit on your shoulder. But man was he fast! One moment he'd be motionless and the next he'd be across the room in a flash! He was very easy to care for and she really loved him :)

Sorry that's all I know

HarleyTheGSD 05-12-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 5507057)
My cousin had a green iguana and while I'm not a fan of reptiles he was seriously awesome. She got him as a baby and raised him herself, he was smart and calm, he loved being handled and would contently sit on your shoulder. But man was he fast! One moment he'd be motionless and the next he'd be across the room in a flash! He was very easy to care for and she really loved him :)

Sorry that's all I know

Thank you this was helpful. :)
I have read that they are expensive. As in light fixtures. They have to have a UVB and a UVA bulb, as well as a 100 watt bulb for heat, and a night bulb. But everything else is fairly cheap. They are herbivores, so grabbing stuff from the fridge would do, and it's cheap! I'm either going to make my own enclosure out of plywood, 2'x2's, and plexiglass or I may find a cheap enclosure on Craigslist. Possibly a ferret cage.