German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   My new Macaw (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/445385-my-new-macaw.html)

pets4life 05-02-2014 02:21 PM

My new Macaw

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my old macaw

GREEN winged lost his big tail feather from a hyscinth macaw when he was being baby sat at my friends

pets4life 05-02-2014 02:24 PM

Any other macaw owners? My old macaws are just so laid back they dont get into trouble but my new onee is a very naughty boy

He went after my construction workers!!! lol i had to save them

I am trying to make sure their room is totally macaw proof so they cant hurt themselves or distroy something

Macaws are the only big parrots i have a lot of experience with, I never had a cockatoo always curious what they are like? bUt i dont understand cockatoo language well so never got one

I am going to buy some blcoks of wood for them today j

Love to chat with other large parrot owners

I have a lot of little parrots all over as well, had outdoor peacocks, ducks, silvers, and geese before but now i live in the city so no more of those :(

I am building a massive outdoor aviary so they can enjoy the outdoors

wyoung2153 05-02-2014 02:29 PM

I don't have birds.. at all.. lol but I love watching them :) beautiful birds :)

pets4life 05-02-2014 02:31 PM

the green wing is the second largest flying parrot in the world

i had to clip his nails yesterday BOY Was he strong took 2 of us!

pets4life 05-02-2014 03:16 PM

i still have my sweet black headed caique most gentle parrot as long asu dont touch him lol

wyoung2153 05-02-2014 03:26 PM

What got you into birds? they are facinating to me, but I'll probably never own one.

pets4life 05-02-2014 04:05 PM

Since i was a child very very young i idont even remember

started with chickens and budgies

Kids would be taking library books on stuff like hansel and gretal

ID BE Taking out bird books on crowned cranes lol

Just an obesssion, I love to bird watch also

BIRDS are my firt passion

Then cats and dogs

Id like to finish and be a avian vet tech my dream

if someone is not a bird person some species can make life **** for them specially macaws

I Dont have much experience with large cockatoo

I try to breed certain species that I feel are a good match, unlike dogs theese are wild animals there is NO BREED regardless what people say diff parrrots are NOT diff breeds they are diff species

OTHEr than chickens, canary, turkey, geeese, pigeons and many more which all have many breeds each.

pets4life 05-02-2014 04:12 PM

I am still not experienced like many people out there
My blue and gold NOT the one in the picture but another one came to me at 4 months he can fly well and he was eating

The breeder came over to help set up my new cage well turns out the baby was NOT eating just pretending to

SO i gave the baby back to breeder for a month till he is better eating on his own

i am fine with hand feeding most species but not hornbills, or macaws which are hard and scary to hand feed because making a mistake can be lethal

good to have friends experienced with birds because you can help each other with nail and beak trimming

FOR starter birds I know a lot of beautiful species make good starter pets but not macaws

lorihd@comcast.net 05-02-2014 10:09 PM

we have a severe macaw. Nasty little bugger, but he adores my husband. I love my budgie princess,(she is the smartest bird I have ever seen). I have 10 chickens and I feed my hummingbirds in the yard. someone posted a nest with babies last year, so cool to see the tiny little birds. Your bird is beautiful, how friendly is it?????

onyx'girl 05-02-2014 10:16 PM

My sister has a B&G, Sakie. She is around 22 I think. I've hand fed so many parrots, I've lost track.
Use to work at an exotic parrot breeding facility/retail store. It was one of the best jobs I ever had, the most demanding too.
I also got into breeding parrots, but couldn't deal with placing them into good homes so got out of it,that responsibility is tremendous. Parrots live so very long, and people seldom commit long term to caring for them. I have a 25 yr old African Grey and a 23 yr old Senegal/both were handfed from hatchlings.
Here are the last babies I ever bred, Moluccans(20yrs ago). After I had kids, I got out of breeding parrots, but still handfed for another breeder for about 6 years.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...59128805_n.jpg