German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Car forum hasn't helped... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/443842-car-forum-hasnt-helped.html)

AngelaA6 04-28-2014 04:31 PM

Car forum hasn't helped...

So the car forum I'm on usually is pretty good at helping out but I don't know if any of them have had a similar issue as to mine.

I currently have a 1988 VW Golf that I've been working on since I was 18 (it's a daily driver but is modded).

The problem is that the original gauge cluster didn't have a tachometer (pretty normal for this car. Only GTI's really had tachs) So I bought the correct gauge cluster with a tachometer (a CE1) and everything turns on. The tachometer will turn on but the needle will just keep going up and over past 7000 RPMs until it pins itself. Mind you this is when the battery is just on or when the car is on. It doesn't register an idle. It seems like the opposite problem everyone else has had with the tach needle never moves from 0.

I have ran a line and wired it into the plug from the coil for the tachometer just like what you would do with an aftermarket tach.

It seems from a2resources.com that the cluster is originally from a GTi but the plugs are from a Jetta (the wire colors match up for the Jetta) and it looks like they put the GTi violet/black wire in the correct spot for the upshift indicator.

Any input would help :( . I know this is a GSD forum but I haven't found anything so far on VwVortex...

Chip18 04-28-2014 04:49 PM

Maybe the year is off one car or the other? Go a year or two earlier on either model and see if the colors are the same? Just a guess.

AngelaA6 04-28-2014 04:54 PM

I did :( it's a US spec and they didn't change from 1985-1989. I accidentally a couple years back bought a CE2 cluster from a newer gti (didn't know the difference at the time) and the pins/plugs were completely different.

...and now this feels all a bit silly. Just went out and plugged it in...guess what? The tach worked... I have no idea what my husband was doing to get the tach to pin itself... maybe he was plugging it in upside down?

Now it's on to tackle hopefully the little things. Turn signal indicator switching the bulbs over and what not.

Thank you Chip for the reply the vortex hasn't even responded and I posted yesterday.

Chip18 04-28-2014 05:18 PM

Well give them some time, usually on the car forums there are at least a couple folks that are really, really good.

I did that swap on my 92 Tercel... no tach, it will take a tach from a 94 Paseo no airbag no ABS. Hence my nother year suggestion. Dig around with the search function...you can't be the first to encounter this?

AngelaA6 04-28-2014 05:25 PM

I actually was the only person that I know of haha. I poured over the search all yesterday and even just went to google looking for ANY kind of car that had a similar problem. :) That forum kinda has gone dead though in the past four years and was kinda a last ditch effort.

If you aren't deep in the scene and know certain people you kinda just feel like an outsider on that forum, even at some car shows. The people that owned MKII's that I knew kinda left the MkII scene and went MKI or newer because the Honda scene was starting to buy MkIIs :P

The closest thing I could find was a hanging tach but mine didn't even move.

Either way I'm happy I at least got the tach to work :D whatever it was it resolved itself haha and only five cuts on my hands later :D not too bad.

scarfish 04-28-2014 05:39 PM

my 2009 senta slightly vibrates while accelerating between 20 and 30. what's the deal?

AngelaA6 04-28-2014 05:45 PM

Could be old tires, bad bearings, unbalanced tires, ect... There's a lot of different things that could make your car vibrate.

Curtis 04-28-2014 06:22 PM

Do you know what the tach's input signal should be? I'm no mechanic, but I do work in a power plant. Most analog gauges require either 4-20 miliamps or 0-5 volts in my industry.

If you could figure out what your meter requires, you could then read the voltage or amperage on the input wire to see if it fluctuates accordingly. Then you will know if its the correct wiring at least.

Again, not a mechanic, but if I had to guess, I'd say that if your tach is pegging out when the car is on then your input wire may be wrong and just be hot all the time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Chip18 04-28-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarfish (Post 5443098)
my 2009 senta slightly vibrates while accelerating between 20 and 30. what's the deal?

Just gonna add swap tires front to back see if the vibration follows.

AngelaA6 04-28-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis (Post 5443274)
Do you know what the tach's input signal should be? I'm no mechanic, but I do work in a power plant. Most analog gauges require either 4-20 miliamps or 0-5 volts in my industry.

If you could figure out what your meter requires, you could then read the voltage or amperage on the input wire to see if it fluctuates accordingly. Then you will know if its the correct wiring at least.

Again, not a mechanic, but if I had to guess, I'd say that if your tach is pegging out when the car is on then your input wire may be wrong and just be hot all the time.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Husband says since my hazard switch isn't plugged in the circuit shorts itself so it's just acting like I have a light out.

I know my engine inside and out but when it comes to the electrical side of it I get lost haha.