An Akita - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default An Akita

Could somebody tell me about Akitas? I've always thought of them as beautiful dogs, and would like to hear more about them from people who have had experience with this breed.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male
"American Pet Line"

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show Line
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think they're gorgeous dogs myself. However, if you read some of the blurbs about breed traits it makes me a bit leery about owning one. I would also enjoy hearing some anecdotes from people that actually own one.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know there are "American Akitas??" beautiful dogs that's about all I know. Probably best to get one from a "real" breeder.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My dog Crookytail is an Akita mix, and his younger sister Queenie is going to be my next foster dog (arriving tomorrow night, in fact), but even though they are at least half Akita, I don't think either of them is particularly in keeping with the stereotypical breed traits.

In terms of personality, Crookytail has always been very gentle, forgiving, biddable, and dog-social. He's a far cry from the stereotype of Akitas as animal-aggressive, standoffish, stranger-suspicious one-person dogs. (He does tend to be a little reserved with strangers, but that's about it.) Crooky is so adept with other dogs that I call him my "guidance counselor for foster dogs."

The breed traits he does have consistent with the Akita stereotype are that he's very quiet (hardly ever barks, only lets out a low "woof" when he alerts to strangers he thinks are menacing), has extremely high pain tolerance (once a groomer quicked two of his toes pretty badly in close succession; Crooky never flinched and just let her do the rest of his nails without any protest whatsoever), and is clean in the house (he remains the only dog we've ever had who never had a single potty accident in the house. There was zero housebreaking time with him, he was just innately clean from the beginning).

As much as I complain about his total inability to do any competition sports whatsoever, Crooky is a phenomenal pet dog and I have high hopes that his little sister Queenie will make somebody a great family pet as well.

but, tbh, I have not been a huge fan of most purebred Akitas I've met. It's only a small number of dogs and they were all strictly conformation-bred, though, so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

the wiki article on akitas says

"They are known to be intolerant of other dogs of the same gender, as stated in the AKC breed standard"

don't know how true this is. a person considering one should look into this if they already have dogs
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Akitas are wonderful dogs, but like other breeds come with a long list of potential genetic health problems. Some would say that a lot of careless breeding has promoted these problems, so choose a breeder with care, they can be awesome dogs!
K9POPPY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They can be awsome dogs - watch who you buy from and expect to be a hands on manager with them.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Great pics...looks like your crew is loving life....

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Scott's cousin has an Akita/ Black Lab mix. 50/50. She is the most stable dog ever. Very nice, stands her ground, confident. And QUIET. She was locked in our basement for 2 hours once and never made a sound. Wandered in when the door was open for a visit and DH forgot she was there.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I do not know much about Akitas....but from what little I do....they are formidable.....

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.