German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   I'm considering contacts, anyone here wear contact lens? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/441081-im-considering-contacts-anyone-here-wear-contact-lens.html)

GSD Fan 04-21-2014 03:51 PM

I'm considering contacts, anyone here wear contact lens?

I've been wearing glasses for years. When I put them on, I look very intelligent but they kind of put a damper on attractiveness.

I am interested in getting contacts and I have some questions to the people on this forum who wear contact lens.

1. How often do you need to clean them?

2. Are they difficult to put in your eyes?

3. What is the differences between contact lens and eye glasses?

4. Is there anything else I need to know?

Thank you! :)

wyoung2153 04-21-2014 04:03 PM

I wore glasses until Freshman year in high school and then got contacts.. so I've been wearing them for a good minute. lol.. I just answered your questions in purple :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD Fan (Post 5409201)

I take mine out every night before bed. I CLEAN CLEAN them a couple times a week. Meaning, most nights I just put them in the container and fill it with solution. But a couple times a week I will put them in my hand, with solution, and rub them with my finger to clean them, then soak in solution.

They are not once you get used to it. At first, it may be odd, but if you aren't squeemish about your eyes, you should be fine. I pull my bottom lid down with my middle finger and look up, then pop it in with my index.. then blink until it's in place.

I have such a strong prescription that glasses get really annoying. Thick lenses, headaches, etc. Some of that has to do with the fact that the lense is further from your eye so you have to make up for the distance. You get used to glasses though, obviously.

Contacts are literally on your eyeball, lol as you are aware. It seems less of a struggle for me when I wear them. I get less headaches and I can see better from all angles.

Unless you get the approved night and day lenses, where they have been approved to be slept in, DO NOT sleep in them. Every now and then is fine. I do it on occasion if I stay one night somewhere or for a nap here and there. but it is terrible for your eyes to wear them while you sleep constantly. It also is rather uncomfortable when you wake up.. Sometimes the contacts get suctioned to your eye if it's too dry, and that hurts, lol. If you choose to sleep in them occasionally, just have lots of eye drops ready and available. If you get the approved ones, you need drops still but they are made of a material that let's your eye breathe better vs the regular ones which are not.

BTW I'm sure you look just fine in your glasses :) Hope this helps though.

Zeeva 04-21-2014 04:07 PM

1. Every night before bed and in the morning before putting them on.

2. No. I had no difficulty putting them in but couldn't take them out. Others have difficulty putting them in.

3. In terms of visions? No side blindness. Much clearer. Don't have to keep adjusting them on your face. But they do dry out.

4. Have fun with them. I usually put my makeup on after but it is suggested to put it on before...you'll likely have more questions once you use them so ask again later! C:

Lark 04-21-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD Fan (Post 5409201)
I've been wearing glasses for years. When I put them on, I look very intelligent but they kind of put a damper on attractiveness.

I am interested in getting contacts and I have some questions to the people on this forum who wear contact lens.

I clean mine every night using Clear Care (or a generic version). I cannot believe how much better I can see since I started using it. Plus my contacts feel better. I use the disposable ones and throw them out every 2+weeks.

Hardly ever difficult. I have worn them since I was 12, and I am now 41. Once you get used to it they are easy. Once I accidently rubbed my eye and the contact slipped toward the back of my eye. I kind of freaked out, but once I calmed down and relaxed it did go back to the normal position on its own.

I can see so much better in my contacts. Sometimes contacts are a little uncomfortable, esp if your eyes are dry that day. I would recommend carrying rewetting drops, although I never have carried them. Also for contacts keep a spare case and contact solution at work in case they are bothering you. And a spare pair of glasses. Again, something I don't do but should.

Years ago the eye dr. told me my eyes didn't look great and that I should start taking my contacts out at night for a few weeks to give them a rest. I had always worn mine overnight. Wow, did my eyes feel better when I started taking them out every night. I would love to get the daily disposable, but they are expensive. Instead I do the every other week ones, but I don't wear them at night so I can usually squeak out an extra week on them.

Thank you! :)

See above in blue.

asja 04-21-2014 04:22 PM

I wore glasses for twenty years, then I had laser eye surgery. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself, and worth the cost.

wyoung2153 04-21-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asja (Post 5409369)
I wore glasses for twenty years, then I had laser eye surgery. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself, and worth the cost.

Looking at Laser or PRK... but it scares me :crazy:

Liesje 04-21-2014 04:28 PM

I'm going to answer based on what I DO and not what I should do, lol....

Basically never. I have Acuvue Oasis soft lenses -4.75. I take them out around 10pm, put them in at 7am. If there is something on them, I might gently rub between my fingers. I replace them every 3 months or so or if one rips or starts to feel bad.

No. I mean, of course they are at first, but now I can do it with either hand, without a mirror.

I prefer contacts because they give a more full range of vision. I have glasses that I actually like the look of, but can't get used to the lack of peripheral vision. My vision is pretty more, everything is completely blurred more than 1 foot from my face. With contacts I can still see while swimming or if I go skiing or something where I would normally leave my glasses behind. If my eyes get uncomfortable, there's always the option to use my glasses.

I would say that brand matters. My uncle is my eye Dr. so luckily I buy everything at cost. I used to use a more generic brand of disposable soft lenses but when he switched me to the Acuvue Oasis, they felt better and last much longer.

Lark 04-21-2014 04:55 PM

Basically never. I have Acuvue Oasis soft lenses -4.75.

I have such a strong prescription that glasses get really annoying. Thick lenses, headaches, etc.

I love Acuvue Oasis. I have tried different brands, and that is my favorite. My contacts are a -6.5, and so I would also have thick clunky glasses.

LoveEcho 04-21-2014 05:29 PM

I have contacts. I clean them daily (or, well, I try). They're not difficult to put in once you get the hang of it. When I first got them, I held my breath so long in the Dr's office trying to put them in that I almost passed out. The girl at the counter said it's really common, lol.

My biggest reason for wanting contacts over glasses (aside from needing thick glasses because my rx is so strong) is because I am a very active person. Hiking, running, riding my horse, etc is a real pain in the neck when wearing glasses. I also used to have to scuba dive daily for work, and using Rx masks was horrible and horribly expensive. As others have said, brand definitely matters- I've had horrible lenses, and lenses that you can leave in for a week and not feel (Acuvue).

I will be getting LASIK eventually.

LoveDogs 04-21-2014 05:48 PM

I have contacts. Clean them nightly but am sensitive to cleaning solutions so can only use clear care. I could put them in without issue and take them out without issue but at first it would take me forever because it was something new. It gets to be easy after a week or so. I don't wear glasses ever really. With contacts I find my vision more clear and find that I have less headaches as well. One word of advice, if your doctor prescribes a brand that doesn't feel right, let him know because all contacts are not alike.