Anyone who *likes* water features/ponds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2014, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Anyone who *likes* water features/ponds?

Llombardo & Blanketback,

Here's some ideas for you.

Solar panels/fountain pumps are getting better and less expensive.

Solar Powered Water Fountain Pumps, Panels & Kits

This is a simple little fountain we got at homedepot several years ago. At night a solar light shines on it to highlight it's really pretty. (eta: the fountain itself is not solar btw, but it's close enough to an outdoor outlet that we use an outdoor rated extension cord)

I thought I had some pics of the pond and small waterfall we have from last summer but couldn't find any. Right now we're having a late spring for our area and it's still under cover/hibernation.

I'll try to find more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone who *likes* water features/ponds?-landscapesmfountain.jpg  

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 04-19-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is a table top fountain suitable for a covered porch area I've had on my wish list. Hubby is building a screen room and we're going to run electric out there so I think one of these will be living in there.

(friendly warning if you think the sounds of a fountain and wind chimes are irritating do not open this link. )

Old 04-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OK I have a fair sized pond. I'm contemplating a couple of things:
How to discourage dog exploration (thinking fencing but dont like the idea a lot -- maybe some magic would work... fencing thoughts have come down to maybe aluminum conduit which bends fairly easy & is cheaper than copper...)
How much it needs cleaned out of grass... (The house was vacant for a while before I bought it.)
Any ideas?
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm pretty sure you could train them to stay out?

Maybe one of our trainers can suggest a method. I have just a little bitty pond, 50 gallon, but my pups did try to jump in on hot summer days. I would be out with them and gave them a firm 'no' and also offered them a kiddie pool as an alternative.

A couple of thoughts to get you started would be stocking with fish that will naturally clean the pond out for you. Putting in species of plants that you want which will help crowd out the ones you don't want. I'm not up on large natural ponds, have only dealt with enclosed systems BUT they all have something in common 'bio systems'. Such as plants that use enough beneficial nutrients to naturally suppress algae and help keep the water clean. Keeping complimentary fish and vegetation helps minimize problems and maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
How to discourage dog exploration (thinking fencing but dont like the idea a lot -- maybe some magic would work... fencing thoughts have come down to maybe aluminum conduit which bends fairly easy & is cheaper than copper...)
How much it needs cleaned out of grass... (The house was vacant for a while before I bought it.)
Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I would love to have a pond Gunther could play in. Unfortunately that's not feasible where I live so I have to wait until I have a home in the country. I can't do water features because there is no electrical outlet on the outside of the house, only on the detached garage. I guess I could put one by the fence that would reach but I'm afraid it would encourage Gunther to the gate more. It would take too many extension cords to reach out and Gunther would chew the cords

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have a waterfall that falls into a large pond--man made. The pond is about 5 ft deep and has steep sides. Every dog that has ever visited has fallen in--once. I keep a close eye on it especially with new dogs or pups but generally one dip is enough. My current pit has fallen in twice but not for the past year.

A problem right now is the ducks. Mating pairs find their way to the pond and the dogs go crazy chasing them. I love the waterfall and pond when they are clean and working but there are frequent cracks and cleaning to deal with. Although the sound of it is great for blocking out city noise.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair View Post
This is a table top fountain suitable for a covered porch area I've had on my wish list. Hubby is building a screen room and we're going to run electric out there so I think one of these will be living in there.

(friendly warning if you think the sounds of a fountain and wind chimes are irritating do not open this link. )

water bells - YouTube
That is so beautiful...peaceful. I wonder if that could work outside like in a bird bath kind of thing with some kind of battery operated pump to create a current so the bells can move?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair View Post
Llombardo & Blanketback,

Here's some ideas for you.

Solar panels/fountain pumps are getting better and less expensive.

Solar Powered Water Fountain Pumps, Panels & Kits

This is a simple little fountain we got at homedepot several years ago. At night a solar light shines on it to highlight it's really pretty. (eta: the fountain itself is not solar btw, but it's close enough to an outdoor outlet that we use an outdoor rated extension cord)

I thought I had some pics of the pond and small waterfall we have from last summer but couldn't find any. Right now we're having a late spring for our area and it's still under cover/hibernation.

I'll try to find more pics.

When I went to Menards I asked them if they had any solar powered waterfalls, they didn't
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Any ideas?
Maybe put whatever they use on the top of the pond to keep raccoons out of the coi ponds? At least until the dogs understand that they can't go in it, then take it down?
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 04-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
When I went to Menards I asked them if they had any solar powered waterfalls, they didn't
Good to know, that would have been my first stop. Thanks for saving me a trip.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.