Am I wrong? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Am I wrong?

had a pretty heated argument with my landlords. had an agreement with dude downstairs over use of the washing machines. they are hooked up to my utilities. it's an electric dryer and is an energy hog and his wife runs the machines way more than a family of 2 would ever need. the agreement was he is to give me $25 a month for unlimited machine usage. dude didn't pay me at all 2 months ago. last month he paid me in the middle of the month. this month is half over again and still no $25. i can shut the machines off from my apartment and did so. i called the landlords to let them know why they are going to get a call from the guy that the machines don't work. they got pissed at me and said i can't do that. i said yes i can, you can't force a tenant to pay for electrical usage of another tenant.

the building is a 2 family and is wired as an owner occupied multi-family house. they recently bought the place and now rent out both apartments. i lived in apartments long enough that i know in this situation the building should have 2 electric meters for the apartments and a 3rd meter for common areas that the landlord pays. they disagree with that. these are first time landlords. i have to pay for the outside front light, 2 front hallway lights, 2 basement lights, side of house light, back of house light, small water heater for washer, washer and dryer. they are supposed to F'n pay for all that.

long story short i got my rent lowered by $25 and **** head downstairs now has to pay them. my brother is going to lend me the money for the first month rent and security on another apartment and wife and i are now looking. after we move we will give our refunded security from this place back to him. i'm **** outta here.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 04-15-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Initials of swear words still considered swearing and against board rules
scarfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No, I don't think you're wrong.

The only 20/20 hindsight thing I would say is if two separate tenants are running electric off the same meter the land lords should have maybe put a clause into the leases regarding how the electric costs would be divvied up.

Still that's really, really messy and getting the heck outta there is probably for the best. I had enough trouble with roommates having to deal with people on a separate lease is nuts. Your landlords are going to have a lot of headaches over that.

(Btw friendly tip. Pseudo swearing isn't allowed on this forum re the f word references)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Official tip. Now that you know pseudoswearing is not allowed, please read the forum rules at the top of every section (they are the same everywhere) as we do enforce them.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'd put a fresh dog turd in the dryer next time the deadbeat is going to use the dryer.....just saying.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Agree with Gwenhwyfair, I think you're right but personally not a situation I would have agreed with up front.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Official tip. Now that you know pseudoswearing is not allowed, please read the forum rules at the top of every section (they are the same everywhere) as we do enforce them.
sorry, this is the first time i ever heard that word. i had to google it to see what it meant.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Gwen is right, this is going to be a nightmare for the landlord until it's wired properly. If they're plugged into a regular electrical socket, who's to say that the tenants aren't running an extension cord for other uses? I would have done the same thing as you did, BTW.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh man that is a nightmare....I would be out as soon as you can....no way should you be paying for the outside lights. And the washing machine stuff is crud....no reason you should have to take on that expense.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Is that even legal? I wonder if they are allowed to rent it out like that. Doesn't seem fair.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

i don't think it is legal without some kind of agreement which we did have. but when he stopped paying me $25 a month the deal is out the window. now that i got the rent lowered $25 i feel a little better but still moving 'cause there really is no way to tell how much of my electricity they are using. google tells me it costs up to 2 bucks to run an electric dryer. dudes wife runs the washer on large load and the dryer for the most time , 90 minutes for a load of 2 t-shirts. it's crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.