German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   I Do Not Understand Mother's Advice on Groceries, Please Explain (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/437121-i-do-not-understand-mothers-advice-groceries-please-explain.html)

GSD Fan 04-12-2014 10:00 AM

I Do Not Understand Mother's Advice on Groceries, Please Explain
 
So I moved into an disabled and elderly apartment. My rent is slightly over $100 and I bundled TV, Net, and Phone. I also have power and that's it. Those are my mandatory bills. They total around $250 per month.

I am disabled because I have a severe mental illness. I see and hear hallucinations and had an episode of grandiose delusions lately. This mental sickness has caused me to withdraw from college 3 times in a row.

So I get food stamps because my limited income is low. My SNAP, however, isn't much. In total, I spend $200 on food per month. SNAP helps, but not like it helped when I was paying $350 for rent.

Anyway, I just got back from grocery shopping and my mother said if I cooked instead of buying food already prepared, I would save money on food. I don't see it and I am going to use 2 examples to show what my mother and I see and say.

I am going to use a canned food and a fried food. I am going to use canned chicken and dumplings and a hamburger.

Example 1: I just paid $3 for 1 can of chicken and dumplings that provides 3 meals.

Mother's thoughts:
"You can make them at home. Buy the flour, the chicken noddle soup, the chicken. You'll get more than 3 meals. I had to buy for a family, so I needed 5 meals for everyone in the household at dinner time. I also used my flour to fry chicken and on other types of foods I cooked."

My thoughts:
"A sack of flour around here is $2-$3. Campbell's Chicken noddle soup is $1.50 per can. A whole chicken unbaked or not cooked costs $3-$4.

I spent $3 for 3 meals, and you just spent around $7 for 5 meals. If you do the math mother, I just came out better.


Example 2: I went to a place called Sonic's and bought 1 Supersonic double cheeseburger for $5. It is 1200 calories, enough for 3 - 4 meals.

Mother's thoughts:
"Why don't you just buy you some ground chuck or ground beef hamburger meat, buns, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and make your own hamburgers? It's just like Subway, you can make your own sub."

My thoughts:
"Okay, let's go with the less expensive meat, ground chuck. Ground chuck is $2 per lb. If I go in the store, I'm going to spend $4 on the meat alone. Buns is $1.60. I only like cheese on my hamburgers and processed cheese is Kraft's 2.80.

You just spent around $8 on enough to make 2 hamburgers. Yes, you beat my $5 per hamburger, but I am only paying 1 dollar more not to prepare it and it tastes better."

So, can anyone break this down a little bit more? Or am I right and cooking is not less expensive than buying already prepared?

wyoung2153 04-12-2014 10:10 AM

I think the idea is that you buy that upfront and you have much leftover for other things. The flour is $2-$3 and you shouldn't have to buy that again for a little while.

Example I would use is like right now. I buy groceries to be able to just make things. You get good deals on buying things in larger quantities.. so meats you buy and freeze the stuff you don't use.. I go weekly grocery shopping but actually only spent about $30 last week because I already had things from the last time I grocery shopped. I plan my meals out and shop off of that. I see what your mom is saying exactly. It's not an in the moment purchase, but for future meals because it's just you and you will have plenty of meals out of.. say a sack of flour. Does that make sense?

GSD Fan 04-12-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoung2153 (Post 5364745)
I think the idea is that you buy that upfront and you have much leftover for other things. The flour is $2-$3 and you shouldn't have to buy that again for a little while.

Example I would use is like right now. I buy groceries to be able to just make things. You get good deals on buying things in larger quantities.. so meats you buy and freeze the stuff you don't use.. I go weekly grocery shopping but actually only spent about $30 last week because I already had things from the last time I grocery shopped. I plan my meals out and shop off of that. I see what your mom is saying exactly. It's not an in the moment purchase, but for future meals because it's just you and you will have plenty of meals out of.. say a sack of flour. Does that make sense?

So are you saying that, let's say I only use 2 cups of flour to make chicken and dumplings. I would have the flour later to make more chicken and dumplings, is that what you are saying?

Here's another thing, you have to KNOW how to cook. If I make chicken and dumplings out of scratch, I have to know how to cut up chicken and hold a knife properly. Only my father, not even my mother, know how to cut a chicken leg by leg and thigh by thigh.

wyoung2153 04-12-2014 10:19 AM

Definitely get what you're saying.. maybe don't buy a whole chicken.. boneless chicken breasts and thighs aren't very expensive and at that point you can just cut it up or cook then shred it. If you buy a large amount of chicken, you can freeze what you arent' going to use.

Also, for some things I do get premade.. chicken and dumplings might be one of those things for you.. I have never made it but I would imagine it's not the easiest thing in the world.. so maybe that's the things you buy premade.

But things like hamburgers.. those are super easy to make, and if you buy the couple pounds of beef and the buns, you will have meals for days :) The idea is that you buy things in larger quantities that will stay good for a little while.

Freezer is your BEST friend. Like if you decide to make Chicken and Dumplings.. make a ton then separate it out and freeze some for another time. When you want to eat it again take it out, put it in a pot and simmer til it's cooked :)

Also, there is nothing wrong with not making things. If you are doing fine with that, then keep at it. I think your mother is just trying to help in some areas from experiences she has had. Produce is more expensive and not something to buy in bulk so keep that in mind too.

GSD Fan 04-12-2014 10:22 AM

But would it help have more benefits if I learned more about cooking and cutting stuff up? I read somewhere that people are more satisfied if they make a meal from scratch because hard work is rewarding.

I mean, it's not necessary to cook things anymore because we have microwaves and prepared foods. But I'm wondering if cooking has much more benefits, like men like women who can cook.

wyoung2153 04-12-2014 10:26 AM

This is true :p The BF is a huge fan of my cooking. He didn't do much before we started seeing eachother. 2 yrs now and I still do 90% of the cooking. I absolutely LOVE cooking. It is just relaxing and calming to me. I usually put on music or a show I don't have to pay TOO much attention to and just start cooking. I have a lot of super detailed long recipes.. and a lot of quick easy ones that don't take a ton of time.. those are usually for during the week.

You say you don't know how to cook.. what do you mean. If you have a recipe can you follow it? While some things I have memorized I still do most things with a recipe in mind. Also, things tend too be healthier when you know what you are putting in what you are eating.

shepherdmom 04-12-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD Fan (Post 5364769)
So are you saying that, let's say I only use 2 cups of flour to make chicken and dumplings. I would have the flour later to make more chicken and dumplings, is that what you are saying?

Flour goes into a lot of things. You have the flour left you can use it to make cookies, to make a nice gravy for a roast or in many other things. In the long run cooking from scratch is much cheaper... But you do have to know how to cook and you have to use up the ingredients or you have just wasted your money.

Twyla 04-12-2014 10:29 AM

It isn't only cheaper to cook from scratch, healthier to. Less salt, preservatives and other unpronounceable chemicals.

Ground beef - depending on size you make your hamburgers, you will still have a portion of that pound to freeze and use for another meal later.

Chicken - here at least, a whole chicken costs more then buying parts. example is chicken quarters is around .59 lb, you can occasionally catch chicken breast with bone .99 lb, boneless, skinless 1.99 lb. chick legs or thighs .99 lb. Use what you want of the package, freeze the rest for later.

Experiment with store brands and less known brands - many taste as good or better then the name brands and costs much less.

Bread - visit a bread store. usually about 1/2 the price. You don't use a full loaf of bread - freeze half of it. Need only 1 bun - freeze the remainder.

Just a few ideas..

GSD Fan 04-12-2014 10:30 AM

I don't know how to cook like my parents.

My father knows how to cut up chicken, skin and gut fish, and even knows how to prepare pig feet, pig ear, and etc.

My mother knows how to cook black eyed peas, purple hull peas, cornbread, and etc.

Yes, I can cook things like homemade caramel cake, I can cook the chicken and dumplings and just need someone to cut up the chicken. I can cook some things, but I can't cook turnip greens stuff. I can't REALLY cook up some meals.

jocoyn 04-12-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSD Fan (Post 5364697)
I am going to use a canned food and a fried food. I am going to use canned chicken and dumplings and a hamburger.

Example 1: I just paid $3 for 1 can of chicken and dumplings that provides 3 meals.

Mother's thoughts:
"You can make them at home. Buy the flour, the chicken noddle soup, the chicken. You'll get more than 3 meals. I had to buy for a family, so I needed 5 meals for everyone in the household at dinner time. I also used my flour to fry chicken and on other types of foods I cooked."

My thoughts:
"A sack of flour around here is $2-$3. Campbell's Chicken noddle soup is $1.50 per can. A whole chicken unbaked or not cooked costs $3-$4.

I spent $3 for 3 meals, and you just spent around $7 for 5 meals. If you do the math mother, I just came out better.


Example 2: I went to a place called Sonic's and bought 1 Supersonic double cheeseburger for $5. It is 1200 calories, enough for 3 - 4 meals.

I think with fast food you probably can buy cheaper but get lower quality. When we make chicken and dumplings it is with chicken stock cubes (which is cheap), the flour you just bought is good for a lot more than one recipe, and I would bet there is more chicken in one chicken than several cans of the store bought chicken and dumplings.

I would bet the 5 meals your mother made were much bigger than you splitting a can and had a lot more chicken each. We just cooked a small chicken and 5 of us each had a large serving and then we picked the bones and had plenty for chicken salad.

One way to save money and eat quality is to cook dried beans! Soak overnight. We did that when our kids were small and we had no money. A lot of lentil soup, lentil loaf, vegetarian chili and it was all good. If you have an Aldi's you can get some great deals on staples.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2