German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Anyone with Northstar V8 Experience? Random Misfire (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/433953-anyone-northstar-v8-experience-random-misfire.html)

shepherdmom 04-04-2014 10:32 PM

Anyone with Northstar V8 Experience? Random Misfire

Have been dealing with a very frustrating random misfire in our Northstar V8. Has anyone else had a problem with this and if so how did you fix it? We have replaced all 4 coils on the front bank where the misfire is happening.

Nigel 04-05-2014 12:06 AM

Leaky injectors, vacuum leaks, washed or whitish colored plugs (head gasket) check fuel pressure/regulator just throwing out some ideas that could potentially cause a misfire.

shepherdmom 04-05-2014 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5327993)
Leaky injectors, vacuum leaks, washed or whitish colored plugs (head gasket) check fuel pressure/regulator just throwing out some ideas that could potentially cause a misfire.

The misfire is moving around from 8 to 6 to 4 etc staying on that one side. Since we replaced the coils its not throwing a code anymore but is still misfiring. :( Husband is going to change plugs this weekend but he doesn't really think that is the problem.

Lucy Dog 04-05-2014 01:16 AM

What check engine codes is the car throwing? Just a misfire or other codes too?

If the car misfires, it will immediately throw a code for a misfire.

shepherdmom 04-05-2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 5328137)
What check engine codes is the car throwing? Just a misfire or other codes too?

If the car misfires, it will immediately throw a code for a misfire.

Just misfire... But it is misfiring a lot more often than it is throwing codes.

Lucy Dog 04-05-2014 01:33 AM

You actually feel the car misfire? Are all three cylinders misfiring at once or is it one at a time? Is it a quick misfire then back to normal or is it continuous while the cars running?

The only way to really diagnose the problem is with exact codes. You can go to any autoparts store and they'll scan the codes for free.

Lucy Dog 04-05-2014 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5328161)
Just misfire... But it is misfiring a lot more often than it is throwing codes.

That's impossible. If there's an actual misfire, there's an immediate code. A car won't misfire without throwing a code - it happens simultaneously. Your check engine light might not come on immediately, but if you hook up a scanner, there will be a pending misfire code at the very least.

shepherdmom 04-05-2014 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucy Dog (Post 5328209)
That's impossible. If there's an actual misfire, there's an immediate code. A car won't misfire without throwing a code - it happens simultaneously. Your check engine light might not come on immediately, but if you hook up a scanner, there will be a pending misfire code at the very least.

We have a code reader. It is not throwing codes. When it first started happening it was random misfire cylinder 8... Husband moved the coil to 6 and the next code it threw was 6 so he replaced that coil. The coil worked for about 2 weeks then went bad. You could really feel that. Code stayed on so he returned and replaced coil. Then it started moving around to 4 then back to 6 so he replaced the other 3 coils. It hasn't thrown a code since but you can still feel the intermittent misfire, especially when sitting at a stop sign and sometimes going uphill. This has been going on for a while now and it's making me crazy. Hubby says he will replace plugs this weekend and if that doesn't fix it, I'm going to have to take it to a dealer. Grrr.. Did I mention I HATE cars.

sehrgutcsg 04-05-2014 08:23 AM

If you've already replaced the coils and it is no longer throwing codes and the misfire is intermittent I would be looking at spark plug wires I hope this information helps you out.

Lucy Dog 04-05-2014 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepherdmom (Post 5328289)
We have a code reader. It is not throwing codes. When it first started happening it was random misfire cylinder 8... Husband moved the coil to 6 and the next code it threw was 6 so he replaced that coil. The coil worked for about 2 weeks then went bad. You could really feel that. Code stayed on so he returned and replaced coil. Then it started moving around to 4 then back to 6 so he replaced the other 3 coils. It hasn't thrown a code since but you can still feel the intermittent misfire, especially when sitting at a stop sign and sometimes going uphill. This has been going on for a while now and it's making me crazy. Hubby says he will replace plugs this weekend and if that doesn't fix it, I'm going to have to take it to a dealer. Grrr.. Did I mention I HATE cars.

I don't think I've ever heard of a car actually misfire and not throw a code. Does your scanner show pending codes too? I've had cars that have misfired without the CEL coming on. I'll connect my scanner and there will be pending codes.

Typically, misfires are caused by a few things unless you're getting other codes: spark plugs, coils, injectors, electrical wiring, or ECU. That's pretty much it.

Smart moving the coil around from 8 to 6 to test it. That was going to be the first thing I recommend you doing, but he already did that. It's very obvious when a coil is completely bad because you lose a lot of power. It typically isn't a quick misfire and back to normal.

When was the last time he did the spark plugs? How many miles and years.

Fuel injectors are also a possibility, but it's pretty rare for them to fail. For all three to fail in a small time frame is a very low possibility.

If all of these things don't fix the problem, it's most likely something electrical. Wiring from the ECU to the coils can and do go bad. There could be a short somewhere in the wiring on cylinder 8 causing electrical issues to jump from 8 to 6 to 4. That's a real possibility. The ECU itself can also have a short somewhere and may need to be replaced. When you get into electrical stuff like this, you really need to know what you're doing and can get expensive.

Regardless what the problem is, be careful driving the car if it keeps misfiring. When a car misfires, unless the injectors aren't spraying fuel and that's causing the misfire, fuel is going to leak into your catalytic converters and eventually kill that too. Depending on the car, each cat installed usually runs about $400-$500 each at least. Enough misfires and it's going to kill your cat.