Just Need to Rant - Friend is in Denial about her Dog Killing another Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Just Need to Rant - Friend is in Denial about her Dog Killing another Dog

A family friend of mine has always had Great Danes. She currently owns three, a female and two males, all intact, plus puppies her bitch had a couple of weeks ago (and she was surprised). Ugh.

But she said her two males started fighting about the time that her bitch came into heat, but she doesn't recognize that they were fighting over rights to breed, and absolutely refuses to get any of her dogs fixed.

Because her males were fighting, she gave her older male to her ex husband because he wanted him.
She contacted my mom and me and asked if we could find a place for him to go, because suddenly her ex didn't want him and she can't/won't keep him.

Well, the part she left out is that he killed another dog. But she says he didn't kill the other dog. He just attacked the other dog and its injuries were so severe that it had to be put down, meaning (according to her) he didn't kill the dog.

We've tried telling her that it would be most humane to take him and have him euthanized. He's an 8 year old intact black Great Dane, now with a history of killing another dog. No rescue will take on that liability and he'd be taken straight to the back to be killed at a shelter.
But I can see her taking him to a rescue saying he's fine with other dogs, because she REFUSES to see the risk the dog is.

I'm just at a loss for what to do because she thinks a rescue will take on a dangerous dog like this and doesn't understand how serious it is that her dog KILLED another dog.
*Bangs head on table*
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I think the circumstances around the accident needs to be known. Just because a dog kills another dog doesn't mean it's dog aggressive. A great Dane could very easy kill a small dog during play. My 85 lb dog could probably run into a puppy the right way and kill it.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I do think it depends on the circumstances, this dog may be fine living with someone with no other dogs, have no access to other dogs.

However, I wouldn't want to be the one placing him...If I were you, I'd tell her YOU can't help her, and let her figure it out on her own..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer11 View Post
I think the circumstances around the accident needs to be known. Just because a dog kills another dog doesn't mean it's dog aggressive. A great Dane could very easy kill a small dog during play. My 85 lb dog could probably run into a puppy the right way and kill it.
This was my thought as well.

What was the situation? I'm going to assume the dog was also stressed about a new home. Curious for more info.

Sad story all around.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

When I was younger I lived with two other young women, we all had dogs - a 10lb furry thing, my small lab mix and a Great Dane. The dogs were left alone and one day my roommate came home to find the Great Dane with the 10lb dog fully in its mouth, my roommate got to it in time, no injuries, but with even just a couple shakes could have killed the dog. The Dane was very gentle, not aggressive overall.

Danes don't live very long, maybe your friend could fully disclose the incident and allow someone to adopt the dog in a one dog household, let him have a good year or two in a nice home. It is frustrating however that your friend does not get any of the dogs fixed.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We rescued a Great Dane. Didn't know it at the time but she turned out to be big time other dog aggressive, at least toward my females. After tearing into my Shepherd female we crated and rotated for a long time keeping her away from other dogs. Finally one day a friend with a male Great Dane met her and fell in love. It was a match made in heaven. The male Great Dane was big enough to keep her in line. She lived out her life with them never going after another dog. It was just my female dogs she didn't like.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She openly admitted that he flat out attacked the other dog. It wasn't an accident, as far as the fact he's just big goes.

And when he went to live with her ex husband, it was in the same house that the dog lived in for 6 or 7 years before they divorced.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You can't fix dysfunction.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not sure that dog stand a chance if he's passed around and around. The whole situation sucks and is of her own making and the dogs will pay. Keep him away from Mr Oz
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I see dogs on rescue all the time that say single dog only. Not really a problem for the "right" owner single dog household.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.