German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Nausea/Vomiting (Human) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/422794-nausea-vomiting-human.html)

HarleyTheGSD 03-11-2014 03:20 PM

Nausea/Vomiting (Human)

I'm truly sorry if this grosses anybody out, but I need help right away.
I feel very nauseous, and vomited about three hours ago. But I'm so hungry! What kinds of food will soothe my stomach? I'm in the mood for some Velveeta shells mac & cheese, or a toasted bagel with cream cheese. Are these bad choices?

BensLife 03-11-2014 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear that! I would suggest eating foods like, rice or soup! That always helped me. The bagel is fine, not sure about the mac and cheese!
Hope you feel better!

LoveDogs 03-11-2014 03:29 PM

Dairy products are not the best choice. After feeling nauseated and having times of vomiting, it is best to start with a bland diet that is easy for the body to digest. Crackers, dry toast, white soda, and rice for instance. Then if you are able to hold that down progress yourself to things like chicken in small amounts but no dairy. Then if that is a go, progress to a normal diet in small amounts and eat frequently in those small amounts. Do not sit down and have a normal sized meal. If you also have a temperature of over 101 degrees F. take Tylenol if you are not allergic to it. For low grade (under 101) leave it alone... your body is fighting off the illness. Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids (water and white soda).

Zeeva 03-11-2014 03:29 PM

Yes, IMO, those aren't such great choices. I know you're hungry but I'd fast it out for a while. Whatever is upsetting your tummy isn't going to let anything stay in there for long. If you must eat, maybe just a plain bagel or bread would be best...

I hope you feel better hun...

Liesje 03-11-2014 03:31 PM

BRAT is what you feed kids/people who are recovering from a stomach flu: bananas, rice (plain), applesauce (plain), and toast (plain).

Stosh 03-11-2014 03:31 PM

Ginger ale, popsicles, Saltines, scrambled eggs

LoveDogs 03-11-2014 03:34 PM

I remember doing my nursing clinicals and a patient told me that the BRAT diet was gross because everything was so plain. I told him to put the applesauce on the toast. A few hours later he told me that it actually was good. I am not fond of applesauce unless it's homemade, so if you find the BRAT diet bland, try it.

selzer 03-11-2014 03:37 PM

Whenever we were doing the barfing thing, my mom used to give us jello to keep us hydrated.

If we had strep throat, she would let us drink it warm.

soups are often kind of fatty, so they might make it worse.

For the real flu though, with the fevers and the chills, and all that stuff, soups are great, until you start taking meds, and then the appetite goes zip, and everything looks yucky.

Stomach flu is usually food poisoning. 24 hour bug. Usually starts about 20 minutes to an hour after exposure. If it wasn't something you ate, you can definitely get it from dog food and nasty dog treats, like pigs' ears, jerky strips, bully sticks and the like.

Always scrub your hands with soap after contacting dog food and treats.

Mister C 03-11-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveDogs (Post 5177826)
Dairy products are not the best choice. After feeling nauseated and having times of vomiting, it is best to start with a bland diet that is easy for the body to digest. Crackers, dry toast, white soda, and rice for instance. Then if you are able to hold that down progress yourself to things like chicken in small amounts but no dairy. Then if that is a go, progress to a normal diet in small amounts and eat frequently in those small amounts. Do not sit down and have a normal sized meal. If you also have a temperature of over 101 degrees F. take Tylenol if you are not allergic to it. For low grade (under 101) leave it alone... your body is fighting off the illness. Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids (water and white soda).

I agree. My mom ( the nurse) always gave me ginger ale and saltine crackers. If I could handle that then dry toast or english muffin. My other suggestion is don't eat anything that you wouldn't want to taste if it comes back up. Think bland foods not something like Indian food. And drink lots of fluids.

misslesleedavis1 03-11-2014 03:44 PM

Gingerale, dried toast, chicken soup (broth) and water and a helping of gravol have all helped me overcome tummy flu's :)