German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Natural Flea and Tick repellant for CATS (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/422570-natural-flea-tick-repellant-cats.html)

jocoyn 03-11-2014 06:52 AM

Natural Flea and Tick repellant for CATS

I have been so pleased with Springtime Garlic for Beau that I am looking for a natural alternative for the cats before flea and tick season cranks up.

Suggestions? Jangles is inside/outside and Bob is primarily inside.

I will treat my yard again with beneficial nematodes this year and diatomaceous earth in places around the house, but I know from past experience that the fleas cats pick up seem to be more tenacious than the ones dogs pick up.

llombardo 03-11-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5174178)
I have been so pleased with Springtime Garlic for Beau that I am looking for a natural alternative for the cats before flea and tick season cranks up.

Suggestions? Jangles is inside/outside and Bob is primarily inside.

I will treat my yard again with beneficial nematodes this year and diatomaceous earth in places around the house, but I know from past experience that the fleas cats pick up seem to be more tenacious than the ones dogs pick up.

Can't you put the diatomaceous earth stuff on the pets and in their food? I think I inadvertently bought this stuff on a recommendation at the natural dog store. I have to check when I go home but I'm pretty sure that is what it is. I paid a lot more then I just found it for online:(

Momto2GSDs 03-11-2014 09:46 AM

I had great success last year using the 2 tags below (I wasn't taking a chance so I got both!:D) + fresh garlic. Just got my new ones and will be putting them on in a couple of weeks. These tags need to go on their collars BEFORE they get fleas or they won't work. The Human Grade DE that you are using is also a great insurance policy!;)

Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Flea & Tick Tag for Dogs & Cats

TickLess Pet Ultrasonic Tick & Flea Repellent Device Pendant for Dogs & Cats (has a battery...don't submerge in water)

Moms:)

llombardo 03-12-2014 06:19 PM

How much and how often do we put this earth stuff on them? How long does it last? Can the dogs get wet?

Harry and Lola 03-12-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs (Post 5174794)
I had great success last year using the 2 tags below (I wasn't taking a chance so I got both!:D) + fresh garlic. Just got my new ones and will be putting them on in a couple of weeks. These tags need to go on their collars BEFORE they get fleas or they won't work. The Human Grade DE that you are using is also a great insurance policy!;)

Only Natural Pet EasyDefense Flea & Tick Tag for Dogs & Cats

TickLess Pet Ultrasonic Tick & Flea Repellent Device Pendant for Dogs & Cats (has a battery...don't submerge in water)

This is interesting Moms, so you had great success with no fleas or ticks with these?

I have also been looking at using something similar we have here in Australia.

jocoyn 03-12-2014 07:22 PM

Moms, are you using garlic with the cats? I have been a lot more cautious on that end

BowWowMeow 03-12-2014 11:00 PM

I have never used anything on my cats. Too dangerous. Garlic is not safe for cats and in my experience the Bug Off doesn't help with fleas (although it's great for ticks). When Cleo got fleas I combed her twice a day with a flea comb to remove them. She was an indoor/outdoor cat.

I did try those tags with my dogs and they got fleas so I returned them and got the full refund.

If your cats are younger and have no health problems you could try the DE on them (if they have fleas) but keep in mind that it is extremely dehydrating. I couldn't use that on Cleo because she had CRF.

I apologize for being no help at all in this thread. :p

jocoyn 03-12-2014 11:44 PM

Right now we don't have a problem but I do know that cat fleas are a lot worse than dog fleas and don't want them to bring them in. I have never treated before though I do remember a few outbreaks when we did have cats. And when we did, it was bad. With them being inside/outside cats I have more concerns.

For the yard/house I do DE and nematodes and I am sure that is a great part of the picture.

Honestly Beau did not pick up fleas with the Springtime.....so I am happy. Definitely was great for ticks but I know cats are so much more delicate.

Momto2GSDs 03-12-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5187274)
Moms, are you using garlic with the cats? I have been a lot more cautious on that end

Hi J.
I haven’t had a cat in many years, and there is some controversy about garlic for cats, so it would be a personal decision, but here are a few quotes that may help: ;)

*Dr. Pitcarin, page 118 of Natural Health for Cats and Dogs: “Cats can get up to 1/4th clove of garlic per day.”

*Animal Essentials, Green Alternative – contains garlic and is for cats & dogs. Animal Essentials - Premium quality supplements for dogs and cats

*Dr. Karen Becker: “Fresh garlic can be given to dogs and cats to prevent internal as well as external parasites.” Dangers of Flea and Tick Problems

*Dr. Will Falconer: “For cats, a teaspoonful of yeast flakes (nutritional, not baking), and a small clove of garlic daily should be adequate.” Non-Toxic Flea (and Tick!) Control | Dogs Naturally Magazine

*Pet Remedy: “Garlic Dose for Cats: The suggested dose is 1/2 finely chopped or pressed small raw clove mixed into food daily or if you are using an Aged Extract: 1/2 capsule daily mixed into food.”

*Dr. Martin Goldstein (author of The Nature of Animal Healing) recommends adding garlic to home-made pet food and he himself feeds garlic to his own cats and dogs on a regular basis.