German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Chat Room (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/)
-   -   Gratitude thread (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/chat-room/422273-gratitude-thread.html)

mego 03-10-2014 07:02 PM

Gratitude thread

I have a really interesting class I'm taking as I finish up my psychology degree, and it's called "The Science of Happiness". It's a class geared towards teaching people how to improve their life. So many fields of Psychology talk about negative things (bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, etc) but it's nice to have a class that focuses on good things.

Anywho. We read a study this week about gratitude. (I can dig it up and post it here if anyone is interested). Basically the idea is that something as simple as writing one or two things you are grateful for every few days can cause your overall happiness level to increase for MONTHS.

There was another study where participants wrote a letter to someone that they feel like they never properly thanked and delivered it and a few months later were still reporting increased levels of happiness.

As a result, I spend a lot more time thinking about what I am grateful for, so maybe you guys would like to too.

I am most grateful for the support of my father in all my life choices. He is always there to help me and drops what he is doing if I am in need. He's patient and understanding, selfless when he needs to be, and isn't afraid to tell me if I'm about to do something dumb.

I'm also grateful for how well Lara has matured. Every day it makes me so happy to peek over my pillow and see the top of her ears in the crate window :) Gives me a great reason to get out of bed every morning and her happy wiggly greetings always make me smile even if I had a bad day.

What things do your pets/friends/family members do that you really appreciate?

selzer 03-10-2014 09:10 PM

LOL, 2 hours later and there is not one grateful sack of potatoes here. Almost. It is just that everybody is so quick to jump on the negative stuff. I think as a society, we are way too warped in negativity. So I will have a go with what I am grateful for today (not in order):

I didn't get to bed until 4:30 AM, so I was REALLY grateful that Babs and the others let me sleep to noon.
Babs, Jenna, Karma, Odie, Lassie, Joy, Gretta, Milla, Ninja, Heidi, Hannah, Hepzibah, Dolly, and Bear.

I had some left over chicken glop to eat for lunch.
I have food in my fridge.

I had brought a Spaghetti Casserole that my older sister's girls and I made yesterday for their dinner, and our dinner today. I took it too my parents' last night and we had it for dinner today with my little sister and her two girls.
Dad, Mom, Lynn, Analisa, Elena, Lisa, Andrea, Gwen, Mark, Bob and Kathy, Erin, Brian and Joyce, Michael.

My mailbox was slaughtered by the plow. Someone on another forum explained how I could put rocks and sand in a bucket and stand it up temporarily -- this is working, mostly. Sometimes it lays down. So I stand it up again. Today it was down for the count, so I actually had a u-post, the ground was not too solid to drive it in, and I had some tie wraps to shore it up with. I was able to find the thing to slam the post in with. It is standing, Yay!

My car that I drove here in, I got the hubs fixed again.

I still have propane in my tank, and ordered another 225 gallons to get through the rest of the cold yuck.

My water hose worked this morning!!!! This is awesome because all those in my first grateful thing need to have a bucket of water available, and when the hose is frozen, I have to carry buckets into the back door, which I have to tie shut with a bungee cord, and then go through the baby gate into my real back door, and then through my bedroom into the bathtub and into my tub to fill the bucket with hot water, that I can then pour in their frozen buckets to liberate the ice cube in their buckets before filling them with fresh water. This takes a goodly amount of time and is particularly painful when your ankle has been twisted and you are trying not to go down in the piles of snow and ice in zero degree temperatures.

It was 52 degrees today!!!

My kitchen, dining room and living room are cleaned. This week's chores include the lower half of the house, and maybe my study. I am really grateful to have a house in the country, and even more grateful after cleaning. In the middle of cleaning and before cleaning, the gratefulness is tougher.

I have less money now than any time in my history, and less debt. But, I am also happier. I think that I could bring off winning the Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes without losing this though -- sure would like to try.

SuperG 03-10-2014 09:37 PM

ahhhhhhhhhh.....almost sounds like mortality is ultimately recognized.

My grandmother had a saying she laid on her children and it was...." don't laugh too long because you will be crying soon enough"...now, me and many others figured "..what the heck type of mantra is that?....." well, once one learns the value of gratitude and happiness, I believe it simply means to count your blessings and good fortunes as there is plenty of hardship just around the corner.....nobody escapes unscathed.

SuperG

More Ball! says Jake 03-10-2014 09:56 PM

Each other. Jake. Our parents and families. Life in general.

Rita and Mike

selzer 03-10-2014 10:12 PM

Since every thread has to come down to the Nazi's if the mod squad doesn't get to it first, I will bring it up here in the beginning.

I read this book called The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom.

Well, it's a story about a couple of Dutch women, well a Dutch family that ended up hiding Jews and working in the underground and the family got hauled in and these two women around fiftyish, got sent away to a concentration camp for political prisoners.

They were both pretty devout Christians, but of course the author, Corrie felt that her sister Betsy was more devout. And one day the Bible scripture was something like, "In all circumstances give thanks." Her sister quickly gave thanks for everything, naming even the fleas that infested the dormitory. Corrie felt that was going a bit far.

Weeks later Betsy tells her sisters that the reason the guards leave them alone to hold their little service in the dormitory was because of the fleas.

She was right to be thankful for the fleas.

Springbrz 03-11-2014 01:00 AM

I called my almost 86 yr. old mother today. I'm grateful she remembered who I was.

nktigger99 03-11-2014 03:10 AM

I am grateful to my dad...,he makes it possible for me to stay home and raise my kiddos. He is also my true hero....as a baby my mom walked out of the hospital and left me....I was very sick and tiny....3 months in the hospital...the doctors told my dad to take me home and make arrangements and don't get to attached because I was not going to live. He fed me raw goats milk with a straw...dropping it in my mouth...around the clock until I could take a bottle. He fought for me to live. At a year I tipped the scale at 11 pounds....he never gave up.

I am grateful for my own kids...they are mostly healthy....we had scares concerning our twins....we were told multiple times to prepare to lose one or even both through out my pregnancy. Our oldest yet smallest twin is tiny for his age....almost three and wears 18 month clothes...but he is smart as can be. They give me so much love...even when I screw up they forgive me and love me anyway.

I am grateful for my husband.....he puts up with me, loved me through a hard miscarriage, 3 full term births in 3 years....loves me for me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SummerGSDLover 03-11-2014 04:34 AM

I am grateful that my three boys are healthy, that my husband still has his job (for now), that my animals are all happy and wellfed. We have a beautiful home over our heads and that I actually have food in my pantry.
My migraine has subsided enough for me to actually get online!
I am truly happy... I guess THAT'S what I'm most grateful for. Our family has had a lot of hard places the last couple of years and it's truly been difficult to actually "look on the bright side" but here I sit. Like this: :)

*-*Summer*-*

jocoyn 03-11-2014 06:12 AM

Mego, thanks for the thread. Nice suggestion. I have much to be grateful for and it is a wonderful way to start the day with a few minutes of reflection on that.

Shade 03-11-2014 07:50 AM

I really love my family, we're very close and I'm grateful for their constant support.

My work family is very tight knit as well, this is my 8th year and our core group has stayed the same this entire time and has only gotten stronger. I love my job, customer service can be such a hard stressful job but the rewards of a happy customer is well worth it.

I love my animals with all my heart, they bring me joy and laughter every day. Even if I've had a horrid day once that door is open and I see their excited faces and wagging tails I can't help but smile. To them I'm the best thing in the entire world without fail and they hold no judgement when I make a mistake.